The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:11:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loaded Up for RARSfest  (Read 5172 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: March 29, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »

Just finished up loading the truck for the 'fest tomorrow, need to leave here early to get there in time to drive inside to unload. Some heavy gear this time including a neat HB 813x2 CW transmitter with its LV & keying chassis. Add a HV supply and modulator for a potent AM signal! This is a project I hung onto just for that reason but am letting go of now due to time/reality issues. It's very high quality construction, and the 813s are mounted horizontally.

Also bringing along a reasonably clean Gonset Communicator GC-105, the wide, off-white & gray version seldom seen. Might've been the last version? AM & CW, of course.

Numerous other items like a Griefkit HO-HO-10, Millen preamp w/10m coil, Griefkit isolation xfmr, small Crosley tombstone wooden radio, some parts from the Gates BC1-T we stripped last fall and a few other goodies like Lumiline bulbs, of course. They sell well at half what the ebay dealer wants. Even decided to throw the KWM-380 in for some show & tell fun(everybody wants it, nobody wants to buy it). If the knob-twister dude comes near it I'm gonna smack him with a yardstick.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »

Show us the pix!!!

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »

Well, despite there being a few more empty tables this year, it was a very successful 'fest for me and the folks around my table. Everyone seemed to move a lot of what they brought. I took home only 4 things that didn't sell(one has sold since). A record for me. This was also the best event I've ever had from a financial standpoint. Sending the KWM-380 to a new home was a big part of that, naturally. And to think - all I expected were the usual tire-kickers and knob-twisters. You just never know!

Had several repeat customers from last year including the retired gent who purchased all three of the BC radio I took along last year. Gave him a nice price on the Crosley and it went home with him. Also sold more stuff to Phil, 'VWU. Phil certainly gets the award for Best Return Customer as he insisted on paying me the $10 marked on an old Bud cabinet that I tried to give him for free. It was headed for the recycling bin tomorrow otherwise.

Al W8UT was set up next to me and did a brisk business, mostly selling items remaining from Greg's estate. JP/'OZY was two tables down and sold a BUNCH of nice iron, a HUGE 28V AC supply, and numerous other items.

Nick/K4NYW had a nice Radiomarine receiver which I *think* went home with John/K5MO, complete with manual.

Didn't spend much time looking around as selling kept me busy, but did see a fairly clean RAL-7 w/supply untested for $300 (unsold). A clean Halli SX-96 that sold for $35, a clean Drake R4B unsold, couple of Zenith TransOceanics in the $100-$150 range unsold, a nice R-390A for $? unsold. Think it's the same one we saw at Shelby last summer and I know the seller, but can't remember who it was(duh).

Overall it looked like a successful event for the club as well as sellers and attendees. Though I didn't stick around for it, there big Raleigh hamfest was taking place outside on the fairgrounds, a weekly occurrence. Had to get home to wife & child, and didn't need to be tempted by some nice old Zenith console or whatever else might be lurking.

My purchases: morning cup-o-mud, $2. Bag-o-sugar boost from vending machine, $1. Two SO-239 chassis sockets for restoration work, $2. Somehow, it appears that selling excess stuff has become far easier and more attractive than buying more, in recent years. Finally starting to see a light at the end of the 'too much crap, not enough time' tunnel. Pretty sure it's not a train.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »

Show us the pix!!!

Didn't get a chance to take any, but saw Phil snapping a few. He might post some later once he finishes unloading all his booty. I'm guessing he owns an old warehouse or airplane hangar somewhere for all this stuff!

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:58:59 PM »

Glad you had good luck moving a few pieces down the road Todd.  Timonium is this weekend but last year was very disappointing so we decided not to go back.   One of the high points was Frank's get together but I don't think that's occurring this time around.   

My mother just passed away last Saturday night so I have been busy handling all the details.  Her memorial service is this weekend.

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:26:21 PM »

Sorry to hear of your mother's passing Joe. My condolences to you and your family.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:02:15 PM »

Thanks Steve.  She had a great life which lasted 90 years.  It was her time for sure.  More when we talk.
Joe, GMS   

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »

Likewise from Jen & I, Joe. Age and time may lessen the impact somewhat, but it's never easy to say goodbye to those we hold close to our hearts.

Didn't make Timonium last year after hearing of the downgrade to the 'fest (it was already 85% unrelated junk in the buildings previously) and won't be going up this year. The baby is the main reason, but I doubt I'd bother otherwise. Was fun in the past mainly due to the pre-fest gathering down at Fell's Point and, of course, Slab's party. Enjoyed attending the 'fest in the past with Joe/PJP and also tailgating with Johnny & Steve. Unfortunately the powers that be have seen fit to remove the fun from the event for me and many others. I understand much of it is due to the tax grubbers but that's the way it goes. We don't have those issues down here and the 'fests seem to be doing well.

The station is back on the air for 80 & 40 here, hope to work you soon.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 05:56:50 PM »

Thanks Steve.  She had a great life which lasted 90 years.  It was her time for sure.  More when we talk.
Joe, GMS   
Sorry  to read of your loss Joe.
My Mom stayed around until 92 and I miss the home cooking and her Christmas cookies. All yummy Italian stuff.

Fred KC4MOP
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »

Joe, GMS   
Sorry  to read of your loss Joe.
My Mom stayed around until 92 and I miss the home cooking and her Christmas cookies. All yummy Italian stuff.

Thanks Fred. I appreciate your kindness.  Its a difficult time.
Joe, GMS

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:30:15 AM »

Joe, I'm very sorry too. Yeah, my mummy was the center of all our family gatherings. Well, you only have one mother and its difficult to realize that the torch has been passed.  It took a good couple of years before I and family could think of her without heightened emotion.  But you will and will have fine times comparing memories.

Todd, great stories of your fester.  I'll miss all you guys, particularly JN's cigars. Too bad Timonium has gone downhill, but (sigh) guess it's not alone in overall fester demise.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »

Thanks Rick.  I appreciate your comments.  I have been so busy handling all the things that need to be taken care of that I really have not had a lot of time to sit and think.  Next week as the tasks begin to end, I am sure it will be a difficult time. 
Joe, GMS     

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »

I appreciate all the wonderful comments about the difficult time I am going through right now.  I never intended to interfere with Todd's original topic of this thread. 
So if you would like to make a comment to me, please just send me a PM or an email.
Thanks all.....
Joe   

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »

No interference here, Joe. The thread had pretty much run its course. More that the topic is a disservice to the seriousness of your situation.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »

Thanks Todd.  I have a funny story to tell you about a conversation I had with Mom a few weeks ago.  That will be saved until we have a chance chat off the forum.  Its been extremely busy around here.  Her memorial service is tomorrow and I will be glad when I get that behind me. 

Joe, GMS 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015