The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:08:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you built a frequency counter kit?  (Read 2973 times)
K4RT
Contributing

« on: January 16, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »

I’m wondering if anyone has built a frequency counter kit and with what results  I see kits for counters up to 50 MHz listed on ebay and other web sites. Looks like they use a broadband amp IC with no attenuation feature. I’m curious if this kind of counter is reliable in calibrating a VFO in a typical HF tube transmitter covering 160 to 10 meters, etc.? Also wondering if the broadband amp picks up internal and external noise that might detract from the counter’s use.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »

Almost All Digital Electronics.  Can't say enough good things about his counter.   Although, for solid state xtal oscillators, it DOES need a preamp.

However, for most tube style, a capacitive input probe is FB.

--Shane
KD6VXI
W4AMV

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »

I have a homebrew counter used in my HB receiver. The counter uses 5 volt CMOS. My only recommendation is be sure to not use a clock reference in the counter which is a harmonic or sub harmonic of your Rx IF.  Sad
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 07:27:23 PM »

do you feel like building a kit?

if not, then just pick up a working counter on epay, or else a DVM with a counter and/or a stand alone
feq counter module, ur done.  maybe you need a preamp, but that's a simple thing to add on... kinda doubt
that you would.

Btw, if you have a good quality scope that has a "vertical out" on it, that will upscale whatever signal you
put on the scope's input -effectively a preamp.

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:53:20 AM »

I’m wondering if anyone has built a frequency counter kit and with what results  I see kits for counters up to 50 MHz listed on ebay and other web sites. Looks like they use a broadband amp IC with no attenuation feature. I’m curious if this kind of counter is reliable in calibrating a VFO in a typical HF tube transmitter covering 160 to 10 meters, etc.? Also wondering if the broadband amp picks up internal and external noise that might detract from the counter’s use.

Brad,
Pay particular attention to the quality of the time base used within the counter.  Either a TCXO or oven is a good way to go.  Some cheap counters use cheap time bases and it requires you to re-zero the XTAL before you take any serious measurements.  With test gear, I like accuracy and a cheap counter won't give you good long term accuracy.  My recommendation is to pick another kind of kit to built and get a good HP or comparable counter off of one of the internet sites. 
Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:33:13 PM »

Guys -

Thank you for the advice. I will probably buy a used counter, but will need to shop around and compare features, range, etc.

Brad
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »

Yes, built a Heathkit IM2410 back in the 80's. Good little counter. Good for 225Mhz but I hardly use it these days.  I used it when I was a novice a using an HW-101.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015