The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:47:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Allocation Changes to 160 Meter Band  (Read 18356 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: November 21, 2012, 10:37:17 PM »

Some good news from the FCC.

The FCC is proposing to change the Amateur Radio Service allocation to the 160 meter band (1800-2000 kHz), reallocating the 1900-2000 kHz segment to the Amateur Radio Service on a primary basis.

The FCC is proposing to amend the US Table of Allocations and remove the federal and non-federal Radiolocation Service allocations from the 1900-2000 kHz band and the raise the secondary Amateur Radio Service allocation to primary status because “there appear to be few (if any) Radiolocation Service stations operating in this band,” it said. “In addition, we note [from WARC-79] that ‘this [Radiolocation Service] allocation was made for reaccommodation purposes and not to provide additional spectrum for radiolocations needs,’ that the Commission has concluded its AM Expanded Band proceeding that would have prompted non-federal RLS licensees to relocate to the 1900-2000 kHz band and that this band was historically allocated to the Amateur Service on an exclusive basis.”

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2012/db1119/FCC-12-140A1.pdf

OR

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7022061247

Save and open the PDF, then scroll down to page 11, paragraph 20.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »

That has a nice sound to it: "AM Expanded Band proceeding"

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:45:20 PM »

Late to the game Don. This was posted in Announcements at 12:53 PM, 11/21/12: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=32687.0 Actually, the 160 stuff is miniscule in respect to the other proposed items.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 01:22:48 AM »

Actually, the 160 stuff is miniscule in respect to the other proposed items.

It's easy to say that, but you need to read a little history. You likely weren't actively involved in the proceeding in the 1980s when radiolocation interests were lobbying hard to have the FCC boot amateurs off 1900-2000 entirely and turn the whole segment over to radiolocation on an exclusive basis.  They claimed that 1800-1900 was sufficient for amateurs, and that amateur radio allocations that existed before WWII were irrelevant to the spectrum needs of the day. It was only because of a persistent letter-writing campaign by individual amateurs that resulted in some well thought-out comments to the FCC, along with lobbying efforts by ARRL, that we ended up retaining that little slice of spectrum at least on a secondary basis.

While we held on to access to the whole band, more and more radiolocation beacons immediately began to pop up in the top half, and for a while there was a real threat that they would gradually crowd us off those frequencies. I suspect the development of the GPS system and the eventual relaxation of deliberate muddling of the resolution for civilian users, is the only thing that saved the day for amateurs, as GPS quickly rendered 160m radiolocation obsolete.

Veterans of that battle will not see anything "minuscule" about this proposal. Besides, upgrading from our secondary status would make it a lot harder for radiolocation interests to decide, on whatever whim, to plop some new form of garbage in our band.

It will be interesting to see if any remaining radiolocation lobbyists will file comments in opposition to this proposed change.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W4EWH

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 07:59:43 AM »

It's easy to say that, but you need to read a little history. You likely weren't actively involved in the proceeding in the 1980s when radiolocation interests were lobbying hard to have the FCC boot amateurs off 1900-2000 entirely and turn the whole segment over to radiolocation on an exclusive basis. 

Don,

I assume that by "radiolocation", you mean Loran, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I was surprised to see you mention dates like "1980s": I though Loran was dead and burried long before then. I'm pretty sure that the cumbersome special-purpose charts needed for Loran were gone, although they might have been obviated by computer-driven Loran receivers.

Please elaborate on the players and the timeline.

TIA.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »

I was surprised to see you mention dates like "1980s": I though Loran was dead and burried long before then. I

I don't have much to offer except that I know off-hand that there were different kinds of LORAN depending on the frequencies.  While this has nothing to do with 160, I know the Kure Is. LORAN station did not deactivate until the early 1990s, but it operated down below the AM broadcast band.  So LORAN in some form was in operation later than the 1980s. 

You can read more here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LORAN

It turns out (if the wikipedia entry is to be followed) the 160 m. LORAN was LORAN-A and it did indeed end in 1980.  But surprisingly, LORAN in other forms was in use up to 2010.  More important, there are attempts to revive it as a GPS backup system so for that reason I interpret the FCC protection of 160 as good news.  I've heard the GPS satellites are not getting replaced as much as necessary, so there may be moves to go back to LORAN or at least have it ready to go if needed.

rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:28:56 AM »

The differences are Loran A and C.  A started operation during WW2 and continued into the early 80s  on the 160 meter band however even though it was discontinued, the companies looked for ways to stay operational.  One thing that you still hear on the 160 meter band is drift nets.  I hear them here from time to time even today.

Loran A is long gone now and this is probably just a rule change to facilitate the change.  Lucky for us companies do not have a technology that utilizes the 160 meter band or they would be fighting this rule.  Loran C which operated in the 100 KC band by the Coast Guard for boats and waterways has now been decomissioned finally.  There were efforts in the late 80s to use it in aircraft, leading the the construction of the chain in the middle of the US.  The FCC was pretty protective of that part of the spectrum and since Loran C has been decomissioned you see the allocation in the 136 Kc part. 

Jerry Proc has a nice write up about Loran on his website.

GPS rapidly replaced it because of reliability and accuracy starting in the 80 for private and commercial aircraft and, similtanously on water craft followed by auto and hiking units. 
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 11:38:32 AM »

Buried in the PDF is a footnote that explains the difference between radiolocation and radionavigation.  LORAN was a radionavigation system.

Radiodetermination is defined as the determination of the position, velocity, and/or other characteristics of an
object, or the obtaining of information relating to these parameters, by means of the propagation properties of radio
waves.  There are two main fields within radiodetermination: 1) radionavigation, which is radiodetermination used
for the purposes of navigation, including obstruction warning; and 2) radiolocation, which is radiodetermination
used for purposes other than those of radionavigation.  The RLS is defined as a radiodetermination service for the
purpose of radiolocation.  The most common use of the RLS allocation is radar (which is a radiodetermination
system based on the comparison of reference signals with radio signals reflected, or retransmitted, from the position
to be determined).  47 C.F.R. § 2.1(c).

Translated to English, radionavigation is used to aid in determining the route a plane or ship will take to get from point A to point B.  Radiolocation is used to help spot the precise  location of point B as the destination.  Reportedly, one of the primary uses of 160m radiolocation was to pinpoint the locations of oil rigs in the gulf of Mexico.

GPS can serve both as radiolocation and radionavigation, using a small handheld unit that eliminates the expense  of erecting fixed transmitting stations, that include tall towers similar to the ones used for AM broadcasting, along with transmitters of considerable power.

The sounds of the radiolocation beacons changed over time.  Originally, they had a steady tone-modulated "drone" sound.  I believe that was what was known as a DECCA system.  Then they  changed to what sounded more like a data stream, similar to what one heard when a dial-up internet connection was first fired up.  At that time, for security reasons, the resolution of GPS was limited for civilian users, by partially encrypting the GPS signal.  It was  reported that the revised 160m radiolocation signals that sounded like digital data bursts were transmitting a continuously updated decryption key that restored full resolution to authorised GPS users.

I was surprised to see you mention dates like "1980s": I though Loran was dead and burried long before then. I'm pretty sure that the cumbersome special-purpose charts needed for Loran were gone, although they might have been obviated by computer-driven Loran receivers.

LORAN A was phased out per WARC-79, although its use was already diminishing before then.  But it didn't completely disappear immediately. It took weeks to shut down the transmitters on 1800-1900, in about 1980, and then it still required a petition to the FCC by ARRL to fully restore amateur privileges in that segment.  1900-2000 remained off limits to amateurs for many more months, reportedly while awaiting the closing of a LORAN chain off the east coast of Canada.  During that time, the proposal to "reaccommodate" radiolocation stations displaced by the expanded broadcast band popped up, and it was doubtful whether or not we would ever get back the 1900-2000 segment.

One of the legacies of the phased-in bit-by-bit return of 1800-2000 is that there are no sub-bands on 160.  A few years ago a petition was submitted to establish phone and cw portions on the band, but the FCC wasn't interested.

We should be glad the FCC's WARC-79 proposals didn't go through verbatim as first planned.  They were interested in expanding the AM BC band to further accommodate "minority" broadcasting, and first proposed to extend it all the way to 1840 kc/s.  If that had gone through, along with the reaccommodation of radiolocation, we might have been left with only a tiny segment on 160, similar to what we had when LORAN was in the band.

Interestingly, it took about a decade before the AM BC band was finally extended to 1700 kc/s. By then the FCC had abandoned its quest for the expansion of "minority broadcasting" and switched policy, to justify the expanded band as a means of reducing congestion in the rest of the AM band.

- - -
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 11:53:34 AM »

My use of 160 has not been impacted by any of these other services in 20 or more years. This change doesn't seem like a very big deal to me.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 01:51:43 PM »

It's easy to say that, but you need to read a little history. You likely weren't actively involved in the proceeding in the 1980s when radiolocation interests were lobbying hard to have the FCC boot amateurs off 1900-2000 entirely and turn the whole segment over to radiolocation on an exclusive basis.  They claimed that 1800-1900 was sufficient for amateurs, and that amateur radio allocations that existed before WWII were irrelevant to the spectrum needs of the day...

Yes Don, I was around back then and yes, I was aware of the activities and the perceived lobbying. However, for the most part, the band back then was a vast wasteland, with the possible exception of the DX'ers and the occasional contest activities which made it fun. Losing 1900-2000 would not have made a big impact in the amateur world. Back then, the perception for 160 operating was that you needed a receiver, transmitter, and a rocking chair, and you would get on once a week to report that you were alive and still kicking. The band brought new meaning to sleep-induced coma.

W4NEQ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »

Apart from those of us who suffer from fondness of AM broadcast, 160 meters seems to be the band that best separates hams with space for antennas from those that don't. 

The band's only real problem is high Summertime noise levels for the Southern latitudes.

And mobile operation is pretty tough.

Chris
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »

You would be surprised what you can do on 160 with moderately low power and a mediocre antenna. I had pretty good luck on AM running 25 watts into a half wavelength wire that was barely 10 feet high, and this was during daylight too. Worked W3FJJ with that setup.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W4EWH

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »

Translated to English, radionavigation is used to aid in determining the route a plane or ship will take to get from point A to point B.  Radiolocation is used to help spot the precise  location of point B as the destination.  Reportedly, one of the primary uses of 160m radiolocation was to pinpoint the locations of oil rigs in the gulf of Mexico.

Well, I'd be more likely to say that radionavigation is used to determine how far off the route a plane or ship is while travelling ... but that's just me.  Wink

Anyway, it seems to be a difference with no difference, but maybe I'm being thick. If the signals are gone from 160, then I don't need to take up any more of your daylight.

Thanks for taking time to explain the technology. I appreciate it.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 01:59:26 PM »

With practically all the radiolocation beacons already gone, this proposed change would not have any practical effect on our day-to-day operations as they exist right now.  But it would solidify our status on the band.  Radiolocation interests would have to re-petition the FCC and go through the entire rulemaking procedure all over again in order to change the allocation back, before they could return beacons to our band with primary status, for whatever reason.  For example, the GPS system could undergo a major failure or deliberate sabotage.  Or the gov't could re-impose partial (or total) encryption on GPS to limit the resolution or block the service for "security" reasons in case of a major international or domestic event. Just look at the myriad of things that went down in response to "nine-eleven", including the FCC/NTIA reneging on their initial proposal to accord us a new 60m band and instead tossing us those crumbs in the form of the five highly restricted SSB "channels".

Notice I said "primary status".  As I read the NPRM, radiolocation beacons would still be able to share the band, but they would no longer have priority over amateurs for transmitting on a frequency.

And Pete, is/was the 160m band any more of a "vast wasteland" than the 3870-90 AM Ghetto Window, or 75m in general? Now you are beginning to sound a lot like Burt.

- - -
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 02:11:40 PM »

And Pete, is/was the 160m band any more of a "vast wasteland" than the 3870-90 AM Ghetto Window, or 75m in general? Now you are beginning to sound a lot like Burt.

No! Back in the 70's and 80's, 160 was a vast wasteland of QSO dullness when you could find one. It was also, from my perspective , "rocking chair city".

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 02:16:07 PM »

A pot that is not stirred burns from the bottom up.... Shocked

Go KYV!

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »

Apart from those of us who suffer from fondness of AM broadcast, 160 meters seems to be the band that best separates hams with space for antennas from those that don't.  
And mobile operation is pretty tough.

You would be surprised what you can do on 160 with moderately low power and a mediocre antenna. I had pretty good luck on AM running 25 watts into a half wavelength wire that was barely 10 feet high, and this was during daylight too. Worked W3FJJ with that setup.

I don't want to veer far away from the topic but I think it is important to respond to these two comments.

I think it is a quasi-myth that vast tracts of land or even a sizable lot are needed to satisfactorily operate 160.  All that is needed at a minimum in my opinion is an inverted L with at least ~ 50 feet vertical and 70 feet horizontal.  The horizontal part can be bent around (so long as it doesn't bend back on itself) to squeeze it into a lot.  With a simple L network tuner and a lot of radials (that part is key) covering as much of the property as possible, you can have a signal that can be copied provided you run some power.  It is the band to run your most strapping maul on and of course a separate receive antenna is important since the tx antenna is not too great on receive.  The killer is more likely to be HOA or XYL restrictions; not property size.  

Low power and low antennas may be FB in the daytime close in, but I have learned at night any extremely low horizontal antenna (30 feet or lower especially) produces very deep fades on skywave.  I don't know why, but I have observed that repeatedly.  In fact, I have concluded any horizontal wire antenna is a no-show on 160 because hams just don't have the resources to erect a long span at a height that is wavelength equivalent to a hot performer on the high bands.  (But don't take down the low dipole for it is likely a great rx antenna.)  For this reason I always tell people to not even bother with dipoles etc. and skip straight to some kind of base fed vertical, usually a T or L or shunt fed tower over a ground system.  Okay  sorry for the digression, back to the FCC....

Rob

p.s.  Almost forgot:  Back in the 70s and earlier when I was not even licensed  Cheesy we had a club called the "Chi-Burban Radio Mobiliers" (I think they are still around actually) in the south suburbs of Chicago and the point of the club was 160 m. AM mobile operation.  They used Gonset rigs, and AM broadcast rx converters and huge loading coils on the bumpers of their cars.  This was before FM repeaters on VHF.  It was really something, and they were my first ham radio listening experience when I got a 9 v. transistor AM receiver and used a golden screwdriver to move it up into the ham band.  I had no idea what I was doing and suddenly I was hearing these guys talking to each other.   

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »

No! Back in the 70's and 80's, 160 was a vast wasteland of QSO dullness when you could find one. It was also, from my perspective , "rocking chair city".

Except for when the guy with the KW rig would call CQ right on top of W2KTU and friends  Roll Eyes
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »

Low power and low antennas may be FB in the daytime close in, but I have learned at night any extremely low horizontal antenna (30 feet or lower especially) produces very deep fades on skywave... I have concluded any horizontal wire antenna is a no-show on 160 because hams just don't have the resources to erect a long span at a height that is wavelength equivalent to a hot performer on the high bands.  (But don't take down the low dipole for it is likely a great rx antenna.)

A couple of nights ago I called CQ on 1885.  A 2-lander now located in PA came back to me.  There was a lot of fading on his signal; he was readable about 50% of the time on the upswing of the fades, but on the downswing he disappeared into the background noise.  He said he was running 100 watts to an extended double zepp, 18' high. I was running about 200 watts and he said I was "solid copy".  I replied that with all that real estate (room for a 160m extended double zepp), I would suggest that he raise the wire up higher, maybe to 50 ft. or more.  With that he went into a tirade; got his panties all in a twist because I was such a "know-it-all", that I dared to "tell him how to make his antennas". I'm sure he heard me pretty well on his low-noise, low to the ground horizontal wire, but it just didn't cut it for transmitting.  My indoor loop often makes an excellent  receiving antenna but it would suck big time as a transmitting antenna, whereas my quarter wave vertical straps on transmit but is often useless for receiving. After his rant I ended the conversation with the note that the proof is in the pudding; my 200 watts were being copied 100% at his QTH, while his 100w were readable only about half the time at mine. I don't think a 3 dB difference in transmitting power alone would make that much difference.

Back in the 70s and earlier when I was not even licensed  Cheesy we had a club called the "Chi-Burban Radio Mobiliers" (I think they are still around actually) in the south suburbs of Chicago and the point of the club was 160 m. AM mobile operation.  They used Gonset rigs, and AM broadcast rx converters and huge loading coils on the bumpers of their cars.  This was before FM repeaters on VHF.  It was really something, and they were my first ham radio listening experience when I got a 9 v. transistor AM receiver and used a golden screwdriver to move it up into the ham band.  I had no idea what I was doing and suddenly I was hearing these guys talking to each other. 

Back in the 50s and 60s 160m mobile was popular in a lot of the larger mid-west cities like Chicago and Cleveland.  Much of the activity took place during commute time.  They didn't  have VHF FM and repeaters then, but relatively low-power 160m AM mobile served about the same function.  According to the old ARRL Mobile Handbook, 160m is actually superior to 75 for local mobile work.  Propagation is predominately ground wave, and ground wave attenuation rapidly increases with frequency.  For a given length of mobile whip antenna, the increase in groundwave attenuation on 75 compared to 160 is substantially greater than the reduction in field strength due to the lower efficiency of the same antenna on 160m, compared to 75.

- - -
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 09:14:47 AM »

For those who might think hearing Loran on 160m again is nostalgic:http://amfone.net/index.php?ind=media&op=file_view&iden=124
I recorded this on reel to reel back when I lived in Hartford using a neat little crystal rx for am broadcast that was tweaked a bit to tune 160. Forget the brand, Millen maybe, I wish I still had it. The antenna was a 200 foot dipole up about 50 ft.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »

160-meters is one of the best bands for AM, but it does require room a decent antenna unless you can build a tall vertical. One solution is to mount a vertical or hang a wire at the top of your tower (if you have one) and shunt fed the base of the tower and if you have a Yagi on the tower it can act as a capacitance hat. That’s a solution many never think of and it really does work.

Doesn't generally work well with a crank up tower especially if you typically crank it up and down (storms, high winds, etc.)

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »

Radiolocation is alive and well on 160 and getting worse. The offenders are fishing net beacons which send a CW ID on a timer and can be anywhere from about 1750 and up. The ones in the CW DX window are most annoying as 5W to a short whip in salt water travels a long way.

They are basically unlicensed using import gear and the boats are US and foreign. Frequencies are programable.

Carl
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »

They are basically unlicensed using import gear and the boats are US and foreign. Frequencies are programmable.

Carl

How far out in the ocean do you think they are? I can hear them at my camp near Lake Placid NY loud & clear. I used to hear fishing boats on 75 near 3.875 on LSB cursing away as they talked about their bad luck at fishing.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 09:12:06 PM »

Terry, all the fishing boats I've heard on 75/80 were on Upper Side Band...

That's the default output selection on the mariners commercial HF radios.
I hear them quite often down around 3510/15...

Not sure but I don't think the commercial  radios even have LSB or AM
switchable any more on them in the last 25 or 30 years... However there are
"on the cheap" commercial fishermen that buy Amateur gear, have it opened
up frequency wise (in the case of the older stuff that was restricted to the
ham bands, most all the newer gear comes opened) so you could hear them
on LSB. 

These  guys usually fish international waters so don't worry much about
US regs however they are subject to USCG regs, etc, but seem to be
immune...   

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »

Back in time, 160m was the 2 mtr FM of its day. I ran 160 AM with a Icom 760 with K1VYU during the day and we had a great QSO for at least 40 miles, ended only by time constraints

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015