The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:13:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 500T vandalized  (Read 2973 times)
N0BST

« on: March 04, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »

Got nobody but myself to blame for this  Angry but I had a couple of my transmitters vandalized by a copper thief last fall.  The door to my shed wasn't locked as there was a latch alignment problem that I hadn't gotten around to correcting.  Casualties were the output network coils and big PA/Mod filament transformer in a Gates 500T, and the RF coils in a Collins 820E 5kW rig next to it.  Fortunately I had the rest of the 500T iron in my basement for cleaning or it would have been gone too.  Needless to say I made the door repairs and beefed up the hardware PDQ!

I happened to have an identical fixed inductor salvaged from an old ATU but I need the two variable inductors and the transformer.  The end castings of the original inductors were broken and thus not rebuildable.  I know I don't have the $$ to get everything at once, Embarrassed but I was wondering if anyone out there had any and how much should I expect to pay for it?  The coils are 30VB2344- 30uH@15A; and a 105VB3735- 105uH@15A.  I also need a CG-109 swinging choke, 5-25H@500mA as well.  It was missing when I got the rig. 

I'll source the Collins parts from some broadcast boards I'm on.

As dey say in Joisy when da Third Armored Division rolls tru-

Tanks!

Scott Todd
KB3DKS

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »

Scott,
Would the coils from a BC1T be the same or work?
Don't have the manual handy to look up the #s.
Will check on the choke.
Bill
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:30:10 AM »

you have questionable neighbors. Someone knows what you do for a hobby and made a good guess that there would be valuable metal in your shed.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
N0BST

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:27:55 AM »

Bill- I think the 500T and 1T used the same output network so the coils would be the same.

Fred- I noticed they didn't touch a third rig that still had a bright yellow PCB warning sticker on it.  Might have to slap those on any other rigs I might acquire as I do have a few unused ones that I got who knows where.

Scott Todd
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:30:07 PM »

Report it to the police and to all of the local metal scrap dealers. In SC they will catch the idiot and jail him when he tries to sell them,  and likely the same in your state. You may get them back.

Pat
n4lta
N0BST

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 10:56:34 AM »

Did all that, Pat, but nothing was ever uncovered.  Even found one of the tools they used and turned it into the cops to potentially dust for fingerprints, but still nothing. Sad

Scott Todd
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015