The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:55:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best kept secret of the Roto-Rooter man  (Read 21530 times)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »

I must admit...I never thought I would see the day when members on this list were bragging about who's toilet could out strap everyone else's toilet!   Cool Roll Eyes Grin

Are things going down the drain?

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 04:16:13 PM »

Yea, what a crappy thread.  Tongue

* options.jpg (44.06 KB, 560x430 - viewed 464 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »

Troopers go further away when you connect to the sewer system
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 03:17:19 PM »

If your a water abuser, it's hard to beat the old toilets of yesteryear. The last house I lived in had one in the basement we used to call the 'super dumpzilla'. This bad boy had what was probably a 10 or 15 gallon monstrous tank and an extra jumbo sized bowl. Unlike toilets these days, with they're anemic little 'click, hiss, garble garble', when you pulled the trigger on Zilla, it would come to life with a thunderous, seemingly dangerous, "BBAHHHHWWHHOOOSHH". All 400,000 cubic feet of water in the bowl began rotating with a ferociousness rivaled only by the largest of our universes' known singularity's. As fast as this whirlpool of high speed waste water came into being, it would disappear down into the drain in the blink of an eye, simultaneously accompanied by a forceful 'whoosh' of air from under the bathroom door. Forty minutes later, when the tank had finished refilling, the system ready for another mission.

When I moved out of there, I almost took that toilet with me, but I figured the plastic soil pipes in this house weren't up to the task.

Just felt like writing something silly, 73.  

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 10:36:27 PM »

Ah yes, buried at sea.

Troopers go further away when you connect to the sewer system
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »

But not in one piece.  Shocked

RICK  *W3RSW*
4cx250
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 10:25:04 AM »

Hello All,
     My prostate gets cloged up every few years. I will have to try the "screw driver" trick and see if it works for me!!
ka3zlr
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »

I Have 1600 feet of 1 inch copper line in the ground for my city water supply side, Now that's a ground rod... Grin

this thread is goofy.. Cheesy
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »

I want to do an update on this off-topic thread.  My first post repair info is incorrect. The correct info can save lots of money and aggravation.

It seems that the info I was given three years ago by the plumber was wrong about how to make the whirlpool-effect work better in a toilet. Evidently he wanted to keep coming back for more repairs....

When I watched him, he said to chip out the mineral deposits from the single hole at the bottom of the toilet bowl. BUT - it seems when I left, he went to work on the twelve little holes that circle around just under the rim. They were all blocked up.  These add the whirlpool effect.

Today I noticed the toilets were not working well and the water was not spinning. Chipping the single hole at the bottom had no effect. Then I went into the twelve smaller holes under the rim using a small 1" pointed screwdriver. Out fell piles of hard, white mineral deposits, like rocks. They were blocking the whirlpool water flow. It took a good 20 minutes to stab thru both toilets, but now they both flush like a tornado.

It seems this info is not commonly available to the public - we just pour down chemicals and then call the man.

Excuse this way-off-topic thread update, but I couldn't leave this incorrect info sitting from the first post ...   ALL AMers use toilets, so it is AM related, right?  Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »

Excuse this way-off-topic thread update, but I couldn't leave this incorrect info sitting from the first post ...   ALL AMers use toilets, so it is AM related, right?  Wink

T

Also, many a time a ham states that the band is in the toilet. So it should work.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 09:27:28 AM »

Just in time for Thanksgiving...

Bill
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 11:19:04 AM »

I had to give all 4 toilets here a good poke shortly after that original post, they had just reached the 20 year mark! What a difference.

And yes, I did the upper holes also.

I also have to remove and decalcify the furnace hot water coil about every 4-5 years and eventually have to replace as the acid does a number on the copper. Cheaper than a whole house conditioner which is up around 2 kilobucks these days and replacement filters every 3-5 years are $750. Little known side benefits of rural living and well water Angry

I use a full house particle filter which runs $20 once a year but still have to clean the dishwasher filter every 4-5 years, plus the clothes washer screens yearly and then replace the solenoid operated valve every 5-6 years. Now the external shut off valve is starting to drip but its the original from 1989.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 11:36:14 AM »

I want to do an update on this off-topic thread.  My first post repair info is incorrect. The correct info can save lots of money and aggravation.

It seems that the info I was given three years ago by the plumber was wrong about how to make the whirlpool-effect work better in a toilet. Evidently he wanted to keep coming back for more repairs....

When I watched him, he said to chip out the mineral deposits from the single hole at the bottom of the toilet bowl. BUT - it seems when I left, he went to work on the twelve little holes that circle around just under the rim. They were all blocked up.  These add the whirlpool effect.

Today I noticed the toilets were not working well and the water was not spinning. Chipping the single hole at the bottom had no effect. Then I went into the twelve smaller holes under the rim using a small 1" pointed screwdriver. Out fell piles of hard, white mineral deposits, like rocks. They were blocking the whirlpool water flow. It took a good 20 minutes to stab thru both toilets, but now they both flush like a tornado.

It seems this info is not commonly available to the public - we just pour down chemicals and then call the man.

T

Hi Tom,

So we can now call your first post "shitty advice" Wink but now you have come clean Smiley

Great advice....

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 12:19:49 PM »

I had to give all 4 toilets here a good poke shortly after that original post, they had just reached the 20 year mark! What a difference.

And yes, I did the upper holes also.

I also have to remove and decalcify the furnace hot water coil about every 4-5 years and eventually have to replace as the acid does a number on the copper. Cheaper than a whole house conditioner which is up around 2 kilobucks these days and replacement filters every 3-5 years are $750. Little known side benefits of rural living and well water Angry

I use a full house particle filter which runs $20 once a year but still have to clean the dishwasher filter every 4-5 years, plus the clothes washer screens yearly and then replace the solenoid operated valve every 5-6 years. Now the external shut off valve is starting to drip but its the original from 1989.

Hmmm... you gots me thinking now that if the toilets had calcification, then all the other water appliances must too. I do notice the dish washer flow has dropped way off.  Those solenoids and valves can be a real PIA to tackle for the average bloke.

Yes, I can't emphacize enough how badly blocked those 12 rim holes were. Some I had to use a hammer to pound the little 1" screwdriver thru. They were so sealed that one would think there was no hole at all.   Move the screwdriver around in a wide circular motion to elongate the hole and break up the hard deposits.   When punched thru, the stones started falling and the water flowed again. Don't do a half-assed job - spend the time to get every hole working. It makes a big difference in whirlpool effect.

Our toilets are about 30 years old, so probably need replacing anyway. But now they flow like new...

It's either do it yourself or pay the man $200- $300 for this simple job. This is a plumber's bread and butter... Cheesy

Bill: Speaking of toilet cloggers, at least you don't have to worry about Barry White dropping by for Thanksgiving.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 01:22:27 PM »

Tom,

Does the ever-clogging rim hole clearance project affect the bowl resonance or the amount of bandwidth utilized by the toilet? I also wonder if it degrades the toilet bowl IMD. It's always important to look at the big picture when tackling a risky high performance project like this. There must be a long list of federal regulations about all this stuff. At any rate, as always, I thank you for the enlightenment!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 02:51:12 PM »

Our toilets are about 30 years old, so probably need replacing anyway. But now they flow like new...

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Refer to my old post above.

If you must, I heard there's companies in Canada willing to ship weapons grade high volume thrones over the border in plain brown wrappers marked gift. Just be careful because I'm sure there's a highly sensitive nose connected to a dog somewhere at some customs station vigilantly searching for these felonious fecal eradicators. Before signing for the delivery, turn an ear to the sky and listen for a moment. If you don't hear the familiar sound of a police heli's rotor beating the air somewhere just outside your visual range, then it's probably safe to accept the shipment. Just get them inside in a hurry. There's some states where even having one in the same room with you is a felony.

I have very fond memories of the old Judge I had in my last house. That baby would take your best holidays, or your worse cold/flu, or your wildest night out on the town raising hell, and swish it all away with a comforting and revitalizing whoosh!

He Whom Taketh this Seat Shall Be Judged.   

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2012, 03:26:37 PM »

I remeber a few years ago having a conversation with a guy around here who had a friend that I think lived out west somewhere that was building a house and wanted good toilets for it, so he went to Canada and came back with something like 10 of them on a flatbed truck.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »

I remeber a few years ago having a conversation with a guy around here who had a friend that I think lived out west somewhere that was building a house and wanted good toilets for it, so he went to Canada and came back with something like 10 of them on a flatbed truck.

I heard you can get them out of Mexico too. I guess that's what the drug mules transport in the off season.  Grin Grin

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 05:03:53 PM »

It took the same amount of time to read this as it took to consume the salted nut roll.

I still stand by the golf-ball-eating throne installed a few years ago. It still has never failed. The American Standard Champion 4:

Meet the Champion 4, the undisputed leader in high performance toilets. With the industry's widest 2 3/8" trapway and 4" flush valve, it created a plunger free world for homeowners and virtually eliminated clogged toilet call backs for plumbers. The Champion will move a mass 70% larger than the industry standard. It achieves the highest bulk removal rating of 1,000 grams and will even flush a bucket of golf balls!

video:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/products/collection.aspx?d=1&c=66#video

It can also flush sliders, a bucket of childrens clay, a bucket of chicken nuggets, a bucket of cat litter, three cellphones, two washcloths, and I suppose whatever else might find its way into the bowl. videos prove it..

One additional secret is that the water falls through a big 4" opening from a substantially greater height than most toilets.

mega plumber action hero:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/video/default.aspx?bclid=590068264001&bctid=507093228001&d=1

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Burt
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 08:59:39 PM »

You said, "I axed him "
Did he survive?
N8AFT
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »

A littel further down the pipes...Best advice I received from the drain cleaning guy is to use Single-Ply paper. I tears up and not catch on roots in the tiles. Also, bleachie thingies put in the tank dry rot the rubber gaskets and o-rings causing leaks. I rebuilt old reliable six yrs ago.
 Yes, the eco-crappers are now much improved from the ones made in the 90's. I'll buy one now when my potty goes bad-order...73

73 from Lane. Columbus,Ohio.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015