The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:06:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hmmm! Wonder if Copper Prices will Come Down?  (Read 3485 times)
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« on: December 09, 2015, 10:45:15 AM »

Hmmm! Wonder if Copper Prices will Come Down?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/business/anglo-american-to-cut-85000-jobs-amid-commodity-slump.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-3&action=click&contentCollection=Business%20Day&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 11:04:01 AM »

To some degree I think they have. Lowes and Home Depot were getting as much as $74 a roll (500 ft) for #12 THW wire. Just noticed it's down to $43
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 11:25:23 AM »

Two years ago bought 500 feet of 10 gauge wire for either $92 or $98. Now it's down to $72.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA3EKH

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 01:05:08 PM »

This is great news! Maybe people will stop steeling the ground straps and other items from some of my transmitter sites. Also over the years I have picked up extra money by recycling old transmission line and waveguide that’s been removed from tower sites and was always amazed back then to be getting sometimes as much as three or more dollars per pound. For once it sounds like I did the right thing in selling off all that junk back then before the price dropped today. In the past it was always that I sold at the lowest price and have been accused of being stupid for not holding on to it till the price went up to what it is today, just looked and its $1.50 per pound for what I got $3.00 for! Back in 2009/10 there was much high power analog television stuff around that no one had a use for including things like ridged transmission line, elbows and filters so a lot of time was spent hacking up that stuff and recycling it.. There is still a lot of analog junk at most TV broadcaster’s transmitter sites.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 02:15:32 PM »

Stock up now for those future antenna projects!
K9PNP

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 06:43:58 PM »

I may build that 8JK flattop wire beam after all.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »

Took a bunch of brass/copper to the scarp yard last week after cleaning the garage, got $67.50 for it, not bad.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »

True story that happened to be at Lowes. Every so often they clean the shelves and offer deep discounts on damaged or as is items. A few months ago I found two rolls of #12 THW (the plastic reels were cracked). It was marked ".18 LFT" and had a 50% off sticker. I assumed "LFT" meant linear foot. I figured .09 /ft is worth it so I took both rolls. I got to the register and she rings it up - "that will be 19 cents" What?? They were marked down to 18 cents with 50% off, so 9 CENTS each + tax! Trying to be honest, I asked isn't it supposed to be .09 / ft? She said, no it's for the entire roll.

I could sell them for scrap and make lots of $$. I'm good for quite a while! I also found out that when items are inventoried and they find things that are not in the system, they often uses a colored label and mark them as free or next to nothing. Be on the lookout!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015