The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:47:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting retrospective of Motorola  (Read 2705 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: May 25, 2012, 11:13:41 PM »

http://go.bloomberg.com/tech-deals/2012-05-25-motorolas-history-lesson-for-google/

Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 06:51:38 AM »

Good write, thanks Carl.

My area, metropolitan DC, and Chicago were the first two cellular telephone markets in the world, and I had one of the earliest handheld models, as well as a "bag phone," remember them?

I kept my analog Motorola "brick phone" long after the first digital class of successors hit the market, for just the reason cited -- it sounded a LOT better than the "StarTAC" that my wife had. 

Eventually the time division formulas improved, audio quality peaked, but now it has declined again as people use Bluetooth, hands-free connections with the degradation from a 2nd RF path plus noisy environment.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 08:47:50 AM »

I kept the analog FM brick car-phone until forced off it by AT$T jacking up the monthly fee to force everyone off. That phone was in a van with the ant. in the roof and it would reach a base almost 30 miles away. Irving, TX to Forth Worth. Minutes cost money back then too. I miss the human-being-sized handset. Maybe a good modern accessory product would be a full size bluetooth handset complete with keypad, with a piece of iron in it for weight.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:10:18 PM »

When we had to go into the Copper mines to repair fibre links, we took a motorola brick with us clear into the early 2000s.  None of the current model cell phones worked into the mines and down in the pits.  Some of those mines where 75 miles of off road driving from the front gate to the work site.  Those brick phones worked. We could call each other from each end of a single mode 1 or 2 mile link and troublshoot.

Interesting article.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »

Remember when it was somewhat of a status symbol to have a cellular "carphone"? Novelty companies sold little mag-mount or adhesive fake antennas with the squiggly wire for a few bucks, for those who wanted to impress their friends but lacked the wherewithal to actually have a phone installed in their car.

Of course, with analogue FM, anyone with a scanner or regular receiver could tune in the calls. That prompted the cellular industry to successfully lobby congress to pass the onerous "Electronic Communications Privacy Act", which for the first time since World War I, gives the FCC the purported authority to regulate radio reception, as well as transmission.  The FCC can't very well regulate the laws of physics, but this still allowed the cell phone companies to prominently place a claim in their advertising that users of these "phones" (in reality full-duplex two-way radios) had nothing to worry about; they were afforded the "same protection under the wire-tapping laws" as with regular land line telephones. Now that cell phones have gone digital and interception by outside parties armed with scanners has become a moot point, the law is nevertheless still on the books, and it is illegal to market and sell receivers that cover certain frequency ranges, and some have even gone so far as to claim that it is illegal to modify your own receiver to cover those frequencies.  Such nonsense-laws tend to stay on the books for ever; one more little freedom down the toilet.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015