The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 02:44:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tain't no radio here....  (Read 2525 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« on: May 29, 2012, 01:58:34 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57437846/a-rare-island-of-serenity-thanks-to-the-fcc/

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »

I've been there - back in 1973!  Spent almost a month at the "National Youth Science Camp" down in that area.  Wonder if that program still exists..  Good to see the radio "silence" zone is still in place.  I had wondered.

At night you can could the usual skip stuff coming in - used to listen to WABC from NY, NY back then.  Those frequencies shouldn't interfere with what they're doing at the NRAO, which is way up there in frequency.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:45:09 PM »

Does the ban include transmitters operating on MF and HF? And what do they do about plasma TVs and other non-radio consumer-electronics garbage that pollutes the entire spectrum?

When they first opened up the expanded AM band from 1600-1700, the first station, running 1 kw from Elizabeth, NJ, could be heard entertainment quality over half the North American continent at night, almost as well as the 50-kw clear-channel blowtorches whenever the atmosphere was quiet.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »

It's still in place. I was at the Greenbank Observatory a number of years ago. The population density in the area is very low and the mountains shield any VHF/UHF stuff from population centers.

I've been there - back in 1973!  Spent almost a month at the "National Youth Science Camp" down in that area.  Wonder if that program still exists..  Good to see the radio "silence" zone is still in place.  I had wondered.

At night you can could the usual skip stuff coming in - used to listen to WABC from NY, NY back then.  Those frequencies shouldn't interfere with what they're doing at the NRAO, which is way up there in frequency.

Lou W9LRS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »

So that's why I'm losing my hair and my teeth hurt.
K7EDL
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:27:04 PM »

So that's why I'm losing my hair and my teeth hurt.

I just lined my call sign hat with aluminum foil and all that stopped.

Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015