The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:50:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV Strikes Again  (Read 4440 times)
WA2ROC
Contributing

« on: May 04, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »

The FOX Network's show "Touched" is a pretty good program, if you're into watching the vast wasteland.

However last night's installment had a segment showing a NY City cab company dispatcher who was a collector of antique radios.  One such radio he had on the shelf was a Hallicrafters S20R Receiver.

However the producers, in order to heighten the drama, did the following:

1-  The dispatcher heard a "CQ DX" call on the S20R from the International Space Station.  That could be possible, but the dispatcher didn't even have to tune in the signal.  It just appeared out of nowhere.  They did use believable ham radio call signs.

2- He plugged in a microphone into the headphone jack on the S20R (remember, this is just a receiver)  and called the ISS.   They heard him and carried on a conversation which saved the life of an astronaut that was outside the ISS but could not communicate with the astronaut inside.

3-  Probably the best thing that was mentioned is that ham radio is used to communicate world wide in emergency situations like this.  That was nice to say.

I actually like this program.  Maybe I'll pick up one of those S20R's and talk to the astronauts too.

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »

Dick,

It is a well known fact that Irb, W2VJZ, before he passed away, frequently talked to the "lonely voice in the wilderness" using an S20R.

Same deal as what you saw on TV -- no tuning adjustment, no compatibility check between tx/rx, and certainly a "message" got through regardless.

This suggests, of course, that the TV show has patterned part of its communications infrastructure on that from Liberty Or.

WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »

That sounds like a good plug for antique and ham radio. I have never seen the show, have no idea what it is all about. But it sounds like that episode would be fun to watch just for the radio part of it, realistic or not. I'm pretty sure that I heard a Klingon battlecruiser on my HQ-129 once. It was around 27 Mhz so it must have been freak skip or something.  Its funny though, one of the voices had a Scottish accent and they were talking about whales.

.......Larry
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:33:55 AM »

... Scottish accent and they were talking about whales.

SAVE THE WHALES!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:47:46 AM »

I'm pretty sure that I heard a Klingon battlecruiser on my HQ-129 once. It was around 27 Mhz so it must have been freak skip or something.  Its funny though, one of the voices had a Scottish accent and they were talking about whales.

.......Larry

In this region they speak what sounds like Spanish and talk about fish and picking up fares not whales.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 11:11:29 AM »

Collect the whole set.

Bill KA8WTK
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »

To be inclusive.

* WHALES.jpg (103.53 KB, 354x500 - viewed 354 times.)

What? Me worry?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »

SCREW THE WALES, SAVE THE TA TAs   Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
K9PNP

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »

... Scottish accent and they were talking about whales.

"There be whales here"

I gotta look at my Hallicrafters and Hammurlands; their sensitivity on those freqs is rally bad.  Must be an issue with the subspace radio converter.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015