The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:46:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very expensive Ameco AC1  (Read 12947 times)
w1vtp

« on: April 10, 2012, 08:48:25 PM »

At the time of this post it was almost $190!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280860377274&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:32:26 PM »

I hope to win it and then mod it.

I plan to put a Shurite vane meter in the center of the front panel, replace the antenna terminal strip with an SO 239.  (Darn- look to the right side, its been done!) The holes will be cut with a nibbler. I will upgrade the knobs with spun aluminum ones from my Knight Kit amp.
The pwr switch will be replaced with a manly toggle and a pilot light next to it. An RCA jack for the key will be put in the right front panel.... off center. I may mount a 365 pf cap in front of the coil for esthetics.

I will also add my call and "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" in Dymo label makers plastic strips (Black).

I love old radios
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »

I sure am glad I never ran one of those as a novice--no pressure now to spend $$$ to live the nostalgia.
Fortunately T-60s are a lot cheaper.  Maybe some day I'll get one.  I'll have to run it with the cover off and drive it with a HA-5.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W4AAB

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 10:01:24 PM »

I had an AC1. Had the 40m coil. Ran 6 or 7 watts out. Worked 32 states and VE3 as a Novice in 1972-1973. It got misplaced some years later. Someone sold one a few years ago for almost $450. They would chirp unless you loaded them lightly.I would listen to it on my receiver when the knife switch was moved to the transmitter.I would load for the purest tone I could get.
                                                 Joe W4AAB(WN4AUX 1972-1973)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:02:53 PM »

I had a T-60 as a novice. Got my only FCC QSL with it. Have one now that I have added plate modulation and 160 mtrs to for fun.
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »

I took one look and knew what that rig was  Grin  Even with the mods.  You got a FCC QSL too?   I got a warning notice.  2nd harmonic on 7 mc from operating on 80.  fixed it with a low pass L network.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:30:50 AM »

Ameco AC-1's always seem to bring big money.  I am sure many were sold but many were probably modified and ultimately used for parts for another project. 

A group in Texas was making replica AC-1's kits but I don't believe they are available anymore. 

Since I have a small collection of Novice started transmitters I had my eye out for one.  I remembered that a Ham, who worked for the same company as I did, mentioning that he had one.  I gave him a call and asked if I could purchase it and he just gave me the AC-1.  I have it paired up with a Knight Kit Ocean Hopper receiver. 

It will be interesting to see how much this one on ebay goes for. 

Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:52:02 AM »

I thought I saw one on there yesterday that was up to $280 which is a lot more than I paid for my Ranger.  Roll Eyes

N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »

I got a request to make a kit for an AC-1 replica. I told the group that the AC-1 had such a poor reputation for transmit quality, that I was not interested. They told me that sending a chirpy bad QRP signal was a good thing - that it made people know that you were using home brew equipment. I think not!

Pat
N4LTA
K1ZJH

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 05:00:32 PM »

Some phool butchered my MicaMold transmitter... its on the restoration list.
Need to patch holes, and maybe make new water slide decals to do it right.
AC-1 prices always amazed me. There must have been tons of them out there,
but I guess few survived.

Pete
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:49 PM »

That AMECO AC-1 wound up going for THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!  Shocked Roll Eyes

K9PNP

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »

And to think I just paid a little over $400 for an operational 32S1/75S1/516F2 group in the 1980's.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:57:31 PM »

That AMECO AC-1 wound up going for THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!  Shocked Roll Eyes

Wow, they've come down quite a bit.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 08:48:06 AM »

And the sellers AC-1 was even modified.  That typically lowers the price a bit. 

I often think about what makes a transmitter or receiver command such a high used price.  Around the same era as the Ameco AC-1 many much better transmitters were available.  Many Ameco's were sold so its not really a rare transmitter, but you do not see many for sale.  In the day, I was glad that I purchased a DX-60 rather than the AC-1.  That was considered a good thing, yet DX-60's go for far fewer dollars. 

It would be interesting to see what it would cost to build the Ameco AC-1 today with going with all new parts ordered from a catalog.  I bet it would easily cost 150 or so and that may be on the low side so the ebay price maybe is not that crazy! 

Joe, W3GMS       

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »

I took one look and knew what that rig was  Grin  Even with the mods.  You got a FCC QSL too?   I got a warning notice.  2nd harmonic on 7 mc from operating on 80.  fixed it with a low pass L network.

The FCC QSL was from a different T-60, years ago. Same problem as yours. Fixed it by never running it again Smiley

Carl

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »

It would be interesting to see what it would cost to build the Ameco AC-1 today with going with all new parts ordered from a catalog.  I bet it would easily cost 150 or so and that may be on the low side so the ebay price maybe is not that crazy!      

Not at all, Joe. A member here, W1GFH(?) I think was selling either new chassis or entire kits a few years back. They were more than $150 IIRC. An unbuilt AT-1 sold for over $4K six or seven years ago, and Ocean Hoppers in good condition with their coils & manuals have brought the better part of $1K at times, maybe more.

Guess it's more about what the individual enjoys than what someone else thinks they should want or pay for it? That seems to be missed by the folks who always claim the price paid by someone else is "crazy" simply because they wouldn't pay that much. There are folks who pay a lot more for a linear amp and/or ricebox than I'd ever pay. Doesn't mean they aren't worth the price to the buyer just because they aren't to me.

I'd love to have a nice AC-1 to play with. I just don't want one that badly. More power to those who do.  Smiley

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 08:15:17 PM »

Not at all, Joe. A member here, W1GFH(?) I think was selling either new chassis or entire kits a few years back. They were more than $150 IIRC. An unbuilt AT-1 sold for over $4K six or seven years ago, and Ocean Hoppers in good condition with their coils & manuals have brought the better part of $1K at times, maybe more.

Guess it's more about what the individual enjoys than what someone else thinks they should want or pay for it? That seems to be missed by the folks who always claim the price paid by someone else is "crazy" simply because they wouldn't pay that much. There are folks who pay a lot more for a linear amp and/or ricebox than I'd ever pay. Doesn't mean they aren't worth the price to the buyer just because they aren't to me.

I'd love to have a nice AC-1 to play with. I just don't want one that badly. More power to those who do.  Smiley

When I get my AC-1 restored I will loan it to you if you like.  As mentioned, mine was given to me by a good friend that I use to work with.  The JDK has higher priority though Smiley

I am certainly not judging what is right or wrong here and I hope its not coming off that way.  If its that important to someone and they have the bucks so be it. 

Someone recently told me about a bunch of Ham Heathkit gear that was or is listed on ebay.  They are un-build kits and it went for lots of bucks.  Good for them.  To me something that is just a bunch of parts in a box is worth less than something that is on the air and working.  But there is no right or wrong, its whatever floats your boat!

Joe, W3GMS   

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 09:33:16 PM »

I think paying more for an AC-1 than what a rig like a Ranger goes for is irrational.

w1vtp

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 10:12:01 PM »

I think paying more for an AC-1 than what a rig like a Ranger goes for is irrational.

I'm breathless!  It just completely surpasses my idea "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."  But - having said that - I'm glad that these pieces of history are being preserved.

I wonder what the going price of working EICO 720's are?  Sounds like money in the bank to me.  Move over gold - you have competition.

Al
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 10:47:42 PM »

Ended:   Apr 12, 201218:04:55 PDT
Winning bid:   
US $334.99 [ 24 bids ]

crazy!! but I understand a state of mind that would allow such an expense on a particular item. Remember how tube audio stuff went cray shortly after ebay started. $500 for a Magnavox pp-par 6V6 jukebox amp.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »

P.T. Barnum was the man!! He said it all:  "There's a sucker born every minute"
 --or-- "A fool and his money are soon parted"

But if that's what your into so be it. $324 for an AC-1 when you could buy a pair of viking 2s or a Valiant for less doesn't make sense to me. But I gues I just worked too hard for the little bit that I have..........

I guess you are paying for the right to be the first one to build it. It's not much of a display piece left in the box, unassembled.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W9BHI

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 02:17:26 PM »

There'd a Micamold on ebay right now.
It's at $66.00 I beleive.
# 110862249657.

W9BHI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015