The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:29:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WA4WRZ, SK  (Read 4928 times)
W3FJJ
Contributing

« on: April 03, 2012, 08:36:52 PM »

I heard this today from Eric, KB3UOA, and looked it up on line and looks like its true. Sad to report , GUY WA4WRZ, long time AMer Passed away, last month.
RIP Guy, I  will miss u.. "guy like the guy next door, or Guy like the guy
wire on a tower"

http://www.sturtevantfuneralhome.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=1409104&fh_id=10819

Wilbur G. Culpepper, Jr.
(March 21, 1948 - February 26, 2012)

PORTSMOUTH – Wilbur Guy Culpepper, Jr., 64, of the 4100 block of Burrland Road, passed away Sunday, February 26, 2012 in a Norfolk hospital. A native of Portsmouth, he was a retired master electrician for Fluor-Daniel, Inc. and was an amateur radio operator for 51 years – “WA4WRZ”.

Survivors include his wife, Lorraine P. Culpepper; his father, Wilbur G. Culpepper, Sr. of Chesapeake; three sons, Wilbur G. Culpepper III of Portsmouth, Kevin L. Culpepper of Norfolk and Adam L. Culpepper of Portsmouth; a sister, Sarah Lynne Price of Savannah, GA; and one grandchild.

Services will be private. Sturtevant Funeral Home, Portsmouth Blvd. Chapel is handling arrangements.

Thank-you, honey, for my yellow roses and our three puppy dogs.
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »

Sad to hear.

Spent quite a few hours with him on the radio over the years.

"Porch-mith" as he called his town.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »

Hi Chuck,

I am quite shocked to hear of Guy's passing.  I had many enjoyable QSO's with him over the years.  Most of the time we chatted on the upper end of 40 meters which he seemed to frequent. 

I realized from listening to him that he had some eye sight issues, but never anything that was life threatening. 

Years ago Guy has some FB heavy metal gear.  As years moved on he migrated towards the more contemporary rigs but regardless of what he was using on the air he always sounded very good and was a pleasure to talk with. 

I will certainly miss having QSO's with him.  He was quite a gentleman and always set a good example with his fine operating practices.  In all the years of chatting with him, we never met in person. 

I will make sure I write a note to his family. 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »

A fine gentleman.  I have memories of many QSO's with him, talking about my rig and his.

He will be missed.

Save a place at the table for me, Guy......

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »

Caught the tail end of your 75m QSO with Glen and heard you discussing it, Chuck. Was a shock to hear as like others, I hadn't heard of any critical issues  when speaking with him. I think the last time was from K4HX's station Frostfest weekend in early February.

Guy used to hang around with the 3705 group afternoons, worked him there a number of times. He often mentioned the fact that the boatanchors got too heavy to haul around so he moved to newer rigs. He had also mentioned impaired eyesight and (I think) something about being diabetic. Whatever the cause, 64 is certainly too soon to be leaving the airwaves and this world. His signal will indeed be missed on the bands.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k3sqp

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:13:15 AM »

Sad to hear. Guy was usually the first voice I would hear in the morning on 40 m.
A great  "Guy" and true southern gentleman.
So it goes.
Frank
K3SQP

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »

So sad to hear of Guy's passing. His QTH was about 40 miles from mine and I have talked with him on and off for over 30 years. I first recall hearing him on 40 meter AM back in the 1970s from my Pennsylvania QTH. He was using a quad antenna and was always very loud. I had to go look up the quad in the handbook to see what it was.

73 Guy, you will be missed.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »

Sorry to hear about this Chuck. Guy was always nice to chat with. A real gentleman who will be missed.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Ken - K2UPI

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »

Aw-w man......it's so sad to hear this.  I was thinking of him the other day.  All last winter Guy and I would get things rolling on 7.290 around 0830 hrs or so.  I'll truly miss him.

Ken / K2UPI Cry Cry
N8LGU

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »

So sad to hear this. I worked Guy on 3705 and 7290 kc. We were both the same age. This is a real bummer...

"Rock Cave Dave"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015