The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:35:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sbe rig  (Read 30216 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 11:56:02 PM »

actually, that made me think of an experiment i'd like to see done, how good a SSTV picture looks transmitted by a hi-fi sounding AM transmitter compared to a SSB rig.

good one. There would be two identical sidebands so some diversity or anti-selective-fading could take place and make it better.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 08:47:02 AM »

Probably better just to go fishing.
Don VE3LYX

Yea, what HE said! ! ! ! ! ! !

If it is a corntest weekend, I usually wont even fire up a receiver. good time to tinker out in the garage, take care of honey-do's, wash the dog or something other than radio! ! ! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »

actually, that made me think of an experiment i'd like to see done, how good a SSTV picture looks transmitted by a hi-fi sounding AM transmitter compared to a SSB rig.

I'd be up for that experiment sometime. Can run MMSSTV for analog and EZPAL for digital.

As far as contesters developing superior tactics to deal with the QRM, maybe to an extent, but I bet it would still make some take notice that folks are getting kind of fed up with the "We eat the whole band" attitude that prevails with most contesters. I think contesters would have a hard time with wall to wall WinDRM beacons at significant power. They are pretty dense, like the old cold war jammers.

So far, they just ride over everyone with the attitude of 'well, what are you going to do about it?', just like any bully. Bullies usually become reasonable after a few smacks in the nose to make them realize they aren't untouchable. Just saying a shot or two across the bow might bring them to the bargaining table in good faith to maybe work out some bandwidth restrictions on how much space a contest can occupy.

Right now their attitude is that they get to take any band except the WARC bands and phooey on you. (While I like the WARC bands, I take exception to being run off my normal uses for their convenience half the year.) Some here might prefer that they be restricted to LOWfer ville down at 170 khz. Those are extreme endpoints. A reasonable position might be to allocate 50 khz per band for contesting and let volunteer OO's pick off the ones outside the limits for a disqualification. After all, they have all these superior filters and capabilities, being crowded into 50 khz will be good for their skills, sharpen them right up. Right?

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »

I'd be up for that experiment sometime. Can run MMSSTV for analog and EZPAL for digital.

As far as contesters developing superior tactics to deal with the QRM, maybe to an extent, but I bet it would still make some take notice that folks are getting kind of fed up with the "We eat the whole band" attitude that prevails with most contesters. I think contesters would have a hard time with wall to wall WinDRM beacons at significant power. They are pretty dense, like the old cold war jammers.

So far, they just ride over everyone with the attitude of 'well, what are you going to do about it?', just like any bully. Bullies usually become reasonable after a few smacks in the nose to make them realize they aren't untouchable. Just saying a shot or two across the bow might bring them to the bargaining table in good faith to maybe work out some bandwidth restrictions on how much space a contest can occupy.

Right now their attitude is that they get to take any band except the WARC bands and phooey on you. (While I like the WARC bands, I take exception to being run off my normal uses for their convenience half the year.) Some here might prefer that they be restricted to LOWfer ville down at 170 khz. Those are extreme endpoints. A reasonable position might be to allocate 50 khz per band for contesting and let volunteer OO's pick off the ones outside the limits for a disqualification. After all, they have all these superior filters and capabilities, being crowded into 50 khz will be good for their skills, sharpen them right up. Right?

I doubt it. The P&M non-contesting (I have no place to operate) crowd has been around for as long as amateur radio. Look back in 30's and 40's QST's and you'll see the same P&M being hashed about. And seeing that contesting (all types - International, domestic, VHF/UHF, local clubs, bird clubs, etc.) has been probably one of most active and enjoyable of all amateur radio activities, trying to corral "them" (all Amateurs in the world) into some small segment of a band won't ever happen.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015