The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:55:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sbe rig  (Read 30145 times)
K5IIA

« on: March 03, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »

It's 6pm with still some daylight outside and I see the trons sbe rig on 3.888 ish wobbling around. Looks like it may b a good night.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:35:04 PM »

some kind of big slopbucket QRMtest this weekend.  Calling all strappers...

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=30680.0

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=30680.0

Annual ARRL DX Phone Contest - Tickle those DX stations with some good old AM.
W/VE stations send signal report and state or province. Signal report default is 5-9.

Where does it say that?   Huh

4. Contest Exchange:

4.1. W/VE stations send signal report and state or province.

4.2. DX stations send signal report and power (number or abbreviation indicating approximate transmitter output power).

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »

Default 5-9  LMAO!!!!! Why bother even exchanging a "default".  Heck, just look up people on a DX-Cluster and email them "psst, I need  your contact, you're 5-9 OM"

AMI#1684
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 01:37:14 PM »

Default 5-9  LMAO!!!!! Why bother even exchanging a "default".  Heck, just look up people on a DX-Cluster and email them "psst, I need  your contact, you're 5-9 OM"

Yeah then that 'lidlist' guy there will post that you are a "lid". Those were some weird stories but lidlist.com seems gone.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »

You guys are funny.
Reading and actual interpretation can sometimes elude the best of men.  Grin

K5IIA

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »

ok, now lets stay on topic.  Grin

73, Brandon K5iia
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 09:03:01 PM »

Roger roger Brandon, I copy you QSL 100% 5 and 9 REPEAT 1,2,3,4,5 by 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

OVER OVER

AMI#1684
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 09:06:13 AM »

Why not just behave?
Contests have always been a pain to me but I have no intention of becoming a pain myself. Lots of room for all of us. My 2 cents. Intentional annoying of others does nothing to further our great hobby. It could backfire. 
Don Ve3LYX

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 01:04:57 PM »

Why not just behave?
Contests have always been a pain to me but I have no intention of becoming a pain myself. Lots of room for all of us. My 2 cents. Intentional annoying of others does nothing to further our great hobby. It could backfire. 
Don Ve3LYX

There is NOT enough room for all of us during contests.  THAT IS THE POINT.  THEY MISBEHAVE and act like little children.

AMI#1684
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »

Once upon a time, there was an FCC rule against simultaneous amplitude and frequency modulation.  Sometimes even operating a BC-610 with the built-in tuning unit VFO would bring a citation on 20m. The FeeCee eventually deleted that rule, I believe with the R&O they issued for (Bandwidth) Docket 20777 back in the 70s.  They also deleted the rule making it illegal to run in excess of 100% modulation.  I suspect they just assumed that AM would soon die out and go away, and considered those two rules superfluous.  But AM didn't go away.  Now, those rules no longer exist, making the SBE perfectly legal.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 03:06:34 PM »

Timtron's SBE rig actually used to sound pretty good. Quite Hi-FI. If you were listening in a fairly wide bandwidth you really didn't notice it wobble. But in a narrow receive BW it was quite a different animal.

I dont remember if it was his, or someone elses (maybe W2ZM) but you could hear it wobble frequency as the wind blew the feedline around!

Modulated oscilators can be a lot of fun Shocked  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »

Listen to Timtron on a windy day and run the BFO.  You get a very musical experience.  Although sometimes when conditions are rough and the filters have to get narrowed down it looses it's appeal...

I built a modulated oscillator (TPTG) rig for the 80m AM QRP net.  Worked Pissa, but was a real killer to get tuned on frequency.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »

Listen to Timtron on a windy day and run the BFO

Or with a Flex in SAM mode (synchronous detector). Sounds like he's playing a theremin.  Grin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »

Listen to Timtron on a windy day and run the BFO

Or with a Flex in SAM mode (synchronous detector). Sounds like he's playing a theremin.  Grin

Or my Icom R-75 in Sync Det mode Smiley

AMI#1684
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »

It's especially annoying with any synchronous detection type receiver. Of course, if you crave operating attention on the amateur bands, this is one way to do it.

K5IIA

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »

Yes some people feed it on the air, and others do it right here threw there keyboard.

73, Brandon K5iia
VE3LYX

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 09:46:14 PM »

"There is NOT enough room for all of us during contests."
That is true but it isnt because they are Slop buckets and we are AM . It is just as bad on CW if not worse. If I hear CQ contest in any mode SSB AM CW I turn the rigs off and do something else. Pointless to try and have an interesting conversation in the midst of high power light dimming overmodulated rigs trying to get that extra one in their log. It has been like that as long as I have had my ticket. 30 plus years. I do not believe it has anything to do with us being on AM. It is just the nature of the contest freaks. Rude, over legal power and uncaring.
Don VE3LYX

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »

Yeah I never meant it in the context of AM.  It's true of any mode I want to casually operate, which is the only way I operate.   Contests should be renamed to Congests.

AMI#1684
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 05:45:43 PM »

It kind of feels like the 'locusts' have come on big contest weekends, eating everything in their way.

I've often thought that maybe in response to a 'con'test, one could plan a 'pro'test. Say a weekend long AM SSTV contest timed to coincide with sweepstakes. Beacon continuously and your score is how many people can copy a good picture from you through the QRM. Multiplier for transmitter power. x1 for 100 watts carrier, x2 for 250 watts carrier, x3 for 375 watts. Times your occupied bandwidth, times the number of continuous key down hours.  Shocked

Think they might get the point? Heck, just *scheduling* such an event should give them heart palpitations.  Grin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »

actually, that made me think of an experiment i'd like to see done, how good a SSTV picture looks transmitted by a hi-fi sounding AM transmitter compared to a SSB rig.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »

It kind of feels like the 'locusts' have come on big contest weekends, eating everything in their way.

I've often thought that maybe in response to a 'con'test, one could plan a 'pro'test. Say a weekend long AM SSTV contest timed to coincide with sweepstakes. Beacon continuously and your score is how many people can copy a good picture from you through the QRM. Multiplier for transmitter power. x1 for 100 watts carrier, x2 for 250 watts carrier, x3 for 375 watts. Times your occupied bandwidth, times the number of continuous key down hours.  Shocked

Think they might get the point? Heck, just *scheduling* such an event should give them heart palpitations.  Grin

Highly skilled contesters, and there are many of them, can push interference right out of their band-pass. Providing more QRM, other then what's already generated by a multitude of contesters, would only stimulate them to develop better operating rigs, bigger and better antennas, etc. In the long run, you wouldn't solve a thing other then, maybe, a personal ego blast.

VE3LYX

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »

Probably better just to go fishing.
Don VE3LYX

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »

Probably better just to go fishing.
Don VE3LYX

Only if you like fishing.
There's always 60 M, 30 M, 17 M, 12 M, and everything above 50 MHz when there's an HF contest. Amateur radio operating doesn't end when there's a HF contest; it just starts the P&M from the non-participants.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015