The AM Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:51:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dee, W4PNT now SK  (Read 7708 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: November 25, 2011, 08:37:03 AM »

I just received a call from Howard, W3HM letting me know that Dee, W4PNT passed away last night. 

Besides being one heck of a great guy, Dee was well know for his meticulous  painting and silk-screening work on Johnson equipment.   I did business with him on many occasions and was highly impressed with the quality of his work. 

During our last visit, Martha and I had an afternoon visit with him where we discussed many topics.  We sensed that he just wanted to talk.  At that time, he knew his health situation was not good but he was still upbeat and positive.  I interviewed him with my portable audio mini-disc and took several pictures of him at one of stations.    On previous visits I had the pleasure of meeting his great family. 

Sorry to have to report such news, but thought many here that dealt and knew Dee would want to know. 

Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »

Thanks for posting this, Joe.

I met Dee several times at the Gaithersburg (Md) hamfest and enjoyed talking with him.

Always a shame that I didn't get more radio time with him.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 12:14:57 PM »

Sorry to hear this. He was a great craftsman and a gentleman. RIP.
W4AAB

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »

So many of our older AM guys are passing on. It is sad. I am trying to glean as much knowledge as I can from the guys in my area who build their own equipment, such as amps. I just bought a Gates BC1T to put on 160m and a Viking I for 80-10m, but am also building amps with 4-400's and 813's.I have been spending lots of time visiting with Boyd Shelton, W4ZWE, who moved back to this area a couple years ago. He turned 80 this year, but is busy trying to get a real antenna system back up. He is on 3885 with a low antenna.In 4 years, I plan on retiring and playing radio. My mother passed away a month ago, and I realize that I need to spend more time doing things that are not stressful  like working in a production plant. As soon as I can, I will get away from SMT and ROHS and any other stupid acronyms.
                                                     Joe W4AAB
W8VG

Eins, Zwei, Drei, Vier, Lets go have a beer!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »

So sorry to hear about Dee.   He was a true gentleman.  Had many great contacts with him on 75 AM and have his panels on my Johnson Valiant and Ranger.  They are better than new--absolutely pristine.

He will be surely missed. 

Best 73 Dee,

Geo W8VG

Licensed in 1970, Terrace Park, Ohio
Formerly WN8HVG, WB8HVG, DA1EV, AA8PF
Colonel, Signal Corps, USA (Ret)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 12:19:48 AM »

Wow, Heartbreaking news! ! !  After having many eyeball, on-air , and telephone QSOs with him, this is sad news, indeed! !

Dee was truely a gentleman and a craftsman.

Dee, you will be missed! God Bless and Godspeed.
May you rest in peace.............

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 01:45:19 AM »

You guys are lucky to have known him. Sounds like a great guy.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K5MO
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 07:42:54 PM »

That is sad news. I got several items from him and had the pleasure of stopping by his house and meeting his wife several times.  I still have the Globe Champ I got from him.

He was a gentleman and easy to know..

Godspeed Dee
John K5MO
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:06:40 PM »

I am also saddened by this news.  I first ran into Dee back in the late 90s at Gaithersburg and with his pals from MI Steve and Kim at Dayton. I was impressed at his high quality of workmanship repainting and rescreening Johnson Rangers.  I always thought if I ever needed to get a Ranger painted ir rescreened I'd know who to call. 

I recall a while back reading somewhere online that Dee was ceasing his restorations.  Consequently this news comes as no surprise.

May he R.I.P.

Michael, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
KD0HUX

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 08:14:54 PM »

A GREAT CRAFTSMAN  Smiley I WANTED A TURBO RANGER DONE BY DEE.I WAITED 2 LONG HE HAD JUST RETIRED WHEN WE SPOKE Cry
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 01:35:14 PM »

Found this in the JOHNSON mailing list:

"Dee's widow Parry reports the Dee's memorial service will be held this Saturday 3 December at 2PM at the Kingdom Hall at 427 Cattle Scales Road, Waynesboro, VA.  

For those who can't attend in person they can phone in to the service.  Instructions are as follows: call 540-569-3183; you will be asked for a 6-digit number which is 434024."

Now you can attend even if you can't be there.  Next thing you'll be able to watch on a Webcam streaming video.

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 01:53:10 PM »

Thanks MrMike for posting that information.  Those that knew him who are not able to attend, this may be a good alternative. 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015