The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:51:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Nation Wide Test a FLOP in Orygun  (Read 12811 times)
WD8KDG

« on: November 09, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »

The Oregon Office of Emergency Management said Wednesday reports are coming in from radio and television stations around the state — and most say they didn't get the signal, or did not get it well. Grin

go figure, even OWIN was a flop and the governor pulled the rug from under it. Grin

Craig,

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:51:48 PM »

OWIN: Orphans and Widows in Need

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »

Well, you're on the left coast now, Craig. Give 'em time.  Wink

From what I could tell monitoring numerous stations on AM, FM, and local TV, it went pretty well here in NC. Sounded no different than the typical EAS weekly test. The only thing I did notice was a slight time lag, some stations were still broadcasting the message after the station(s) I was monitoring had moved back to programming. Spun the dials on both AM and FM receivers and heard the tail end of the same message.

I did note that cable stations and at least one FM station carrying syndicated programming did not broadcast the actual test, despite mentioning it.

Not bad for a first try in this neck-o-the-woods.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »

didn't hear it here but they have them about once a week at 2 AM or so. It's enough to wake up the dead! I hate it.

What's worse is the new rule where all hams must be tied into the alert system. Everyone who is operating at the time, must re transmit the waring signal no matter what mode your running!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:18:25 PM »

What's worse is the new rule where all hams must be tied into the alert system. Everyone who is operating at the time, must re transmit the waring signal no matter what mode your running!
Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WA4JK

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:37:30 PM »

Alabama test worked surprisingly in Montgomery only, failed everywhere else in Alabama.
WD8KDG

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:39:25 PM »

best plan in the west; "Beans & Bullets"

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »

Arizona TV carried something at the right time.  It was doubled with alert data over the voice segment.

Pure schniznit.

Makes me glad I'm not in the full-time broadcst business anymore.... Tongue

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »

It was a little late here. The audio was terrible. The local cable service did not come back right away. Instead the screen showed "SONY DVD" for several minutes.  Grin
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 08:53:41 PM »

That only applies if you live on the planet Parsipatus in the country of Gnome.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Burt
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 06:41:02 AM »

Was this what you got?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6gz1oQVBkw
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 06:47:05 AM »

It was a little late here. The audio was terrible. The local cable service did not come back right away. Instead the screen showed "SONY DVD" for several minutes.  Grin
HA! I bet someone jack-legged some POS OTA DVD into their system and took the command signals to interrupt normal programming.
My DirecTV went through the motions, but I never heard any announcement. There was some sort of audio way down in the background noise, and then the usual blurps of digital signals. A Michael Jackson song played at other times.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:03 AM »

My brother is chief engineer for a radio station in SE Virginia and says things went okay except for the audio quality, as relayed over multiple paths.

A website has some audio airchecks from around the country and discussion:

http://www.thebdr.net/articles/fcc/eas/eas.html
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 08:37:15 AM »

This is what it sounded like here.  Grin

* Nov 9 EAS.mp3 (477.55 KB - downloaded 197 times.)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »

No, I've been getting a lot of this instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF0rgOEKX4s

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 12:25:09 PM »

A few years back, when I was CE at KJZZ-KBAQ, one of the "lesser" engineering types sent a RMT, or monthly EAS test.  

He mistakenly fired off a tsunami alert.  Funny thing was, it was for the Phoenix AZ area.... Roll Eyes

73DG

W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 06:32:09 PM »

It was a LOT more fun back when... Cheesy

http://www.thebdr.net/images/Conelrad-TheBigQuestion.mp3

Ha!

73DG

KA2DZT

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 08:35:53 PM »

It was a LOT more fun back when... Cheesy

http://www.thebdr.net/images/Conelrad-TheBigQuestion.mp3

Ha!

73DG

In the late 60s I worked a short time for Westinghouse. One of the projects I worked on was BC band Conelrad receivers that were unmuted by a series of transmitted tones.  The final tone kept the receiver unmuted.  They were used for alert messages.  One model was set up with relays instead of audio output.  The relays were used to activate sirens or horn alerts.

The receiver had no controls on the front.  They were tuned to a single frequency with a set audio output.  The only thing on the front was a button to unmute it for testing.  They used two ferrite loop antennas, set at right angles to make them omni directional.

Fred

As I remember it was a gov contract.  I think these receivers were intended to be used by first responders.  Probably not called first responders back then.

Fred
K5WLF
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 12:28:50 AM »

Reminds me of one of my co-workers at Fleetwood back around the time of the Three Mile Island thing. He came up with this:

"This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test. If this were an actual Three Mile Island type emergency, you would be instructed to tune to whatever stations may be left in your area for emergency instructions. In all probability, those instructions will be to put your head between your legs and kiss your a** goodbye. This is only a test."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 08:22:53 AM »

When I was in elementary and jr high school (back in the 60s) we used to have "cvil defense" drills. This was where they would take all of the knds down into the basement area (usually stuffed old desks and other unused materials) and instruct us to basically (put your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye) kneel down by the walls and under the desks and hope for the best. Knowing what I/we now know as adults, that was the last place to be, but it sounded good.

This way, if the big one came, we were allready pre-buried.

They did a lot to keep the threat alive in our minds for many years.

Or how many of y'all remember the advertisement on TV (black & white TV too boot) of Niketa Kruschev shaking his fist while hollering "We will bury you" ? ? ?

The 60s were a very interesting time in history.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KL7OF

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 08:52:06 AM »

I never heard a thing in Tum Tum....The gubmit can't even get a space shuttle audio signal out nationwide...If this was the acrudamy awards, or a rap concert,you wouldn't have any trouble receiving it.. I feel so confident..They have the finest minds in the country working on this....I wonder how much this fiasco cost us?   
K3ZS

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 08:52:41 AM »

When I was in elementary school, in the 50's, all the kids had a personal asbestos tile to sit in during the drills.   It was to keep are little butts warm when sitting in the cold marble floors in the hallway.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 09:26:52 AM »

Apparently the "KISS" principle never applies to anything the government tried to do... 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »

Good one!

acrudamy awards
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »

Thank God? it was only a test. Listening to the samples from the above link (FCC), didn't sound like too many people heard much of anything that made sense.

I'm guessing this was not using internet technology?? WHAT IF a National emergency and the whirl wide web is down???
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015