The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:51:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i got my technician class license  (Read 21292 times)
ssbothwell SWL
« on: October 02, 2011, 03:49:26 AM »

today i finally got around to taking my technician exam. i am holding my hands my certificate of successful completion. now that i have my tech license what should i do? i am mostly interested in homebrew HF projects. the two meter band has less appeal to me but i can only do CW on the HF bands. i guess i should try to put together a QRP 80 or 40 meter CW transceiver?

i need to get my general license so i can do HF AM broadcasting!
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:38:52 AM »

First of all Congratulations!  Welcome to the awesome fraternity of Amateur Radio operators!

"i guess i should try to put together a QRP 80 or 40 meter CW transceiver?"

Admirable idea, I think you should maybe get a receiver ready to go and build a cw transmitter from scratch, knowing what I've seen with your oscillator thread. Smiley

"i need to get my general license so i can do HF AM broadcasting!"

Broadcasting is not the goal, it's not legal except for bulletins and we have enough of that.  2-way contacts is what we're about! Smiley

AMI#1684
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »

congrats on getting the Tech, I started out the same way, used to hang on 10, and 2 meters.
forget the CW, take the written general and build up a nice QRO am transmitter
we can't "broadcast" but plenty of AM'rs sure can old buzzard for 20-30 minutes  Wink
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »

today i finally got around to taking my technician exam. i am holding my hands my certificate of successful completion. now that i have my tech license what should i do? i am mostly interested in homebrew HF projects. the two meter band has less appeal to me but i can only do CW on the HF bands. i guess i should try to put together a QRP 80 or 40 meter CW transceiver?

Congratulations!

In addition to CW on some portions of the HF bands you can also operate SSB phone from 28.3 to 28.5 MHz on the 10 meter band.

ARRL band plan: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

There have been some openings on 10 meters lately so you may be surprised how well you can get out with a modest antenna and transceiver.

On 6 meters and up you can operate pretty much any mode at the legal power limit.  There is occasionally some AM phone activity on the 6 meter band around 50.400 but unless there is a regular group of 6 meter AM guys in your area you may go quite a while without making a contact.

As for 2 meters, 440 etc, most of the activity is on FM with some SSB activity and very little AM.  2 meter FM via repeater or just simplex is a great way to meet the local operators in your area, and you never know some of them may be HF AM operators as well.

The general license is not that hard to get.  A liitle more work and you'll be there.

Sam / KS2AM

--- Post No Bills ---
ssbothwell SWL
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 11:15:50 AM »

sorry i was unclear. by 'broadcasting' i meant two way communication.

KX5JT, i guess my priority should be to finish my receiver project. one thing at a time Smiley
KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »

sorry i was unclear. by 'broadcasting' i meant two way communication.

Don't let that happen again, now that you're an official Ham. Grin

Fred
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 12:50:52 PM »

Hearty congrats!!  If you want your username changed to your new callsign, just let me know.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »

Welcome to the club.  Being an insider feels pretty good. Smiley

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KC2ZFA

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 01:21:13 PM »

Here's what you'll get into when you get around to getting a license to "broadcast":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g7_2ThvEE0

The fun starts at the 5 minute mark.

And part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyZ8umpbLsI

Grin
W7POW

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »

Congratulations!

Make it a priority to study for the General and go in next text session and get that.  It will open up an amazing amount of band spectrum where you can work AM phone.  I went in to get my ticket with the intention of only taking the technician portion but after passing they talked me into taking the General, so I gave it a try and passed!  It was easy.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 04:26:23 PM »

Here's what you'll get into when you get around to getting a license to "broadcast":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g7_2ThvEE0

The fun starts at the 5 minute mark.

And part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyZ8umpbLsI

Grin

2 of the classics! ! ! !  My sides are still sore from laughing! !   Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »

Geez, I miss those guys... Cry

73DG

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »

Congrats on getting your Technician license!  As they say, you have just begun enjoying this wonderful hobby.  Believe it or not, some AM'ers do enjoy CW and I just happen to be one.  CW is one of those modes that you either like it or you don't.  It will never replace AM for me but you do meet some great people on CW.  The gear is so simple you also find some that build there own CW rigs.  So that's and instant start to a good technical QSO even on CW!

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
N8LGU

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »

Welcome to the Ham Fraternity! Now you're a real "Ham". I hope you rapidly progress to "General". It's really not that much more study to do so and it gives you the opportunity to get on AM! Cheesy

"Rock Cave Dave"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »

"  Now you're a real "Ham". I hope you rapidly progress to "General". "

Now that he's got his lisence, we can dump on him .... ..    he's not HAM, he's a codeless ham.

klc

What? Me worry?
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 03:13:02 PM »

Congratulations on passing the exam! There's a lot of fun ahead for you, and it appears that you jumped in as the solar cycle is on the way up.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WA3VJB
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »

2 of the classics! ! ! !  My sides are still sore from laughing! !   Grin  Grin

What are these guys, chopped liver ?

Gaithersburg (Md.) Hamfest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4xed2R5kG4

Now THAT's broadcasting ...
ssbothwell SWL
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »

thanks for all the kind words. Smiley

maybe i can find a cheap 10m ssb transmitter on at my local ham swapmeet. i'll let you all know if that happens.
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 03:57:49 PM »

maybe i can find a cheap 10m ssb transmitter on at my local ham swapmeet.

Dis' be da' AM site.  No slopbuckets allowed! Cheesy

Findum cheap AM box. Wink

73DG

ssbothwell SWL
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

i just meant as something to hold me over until i get my general license. although it would be kinda romantic to have my first contact be with a homemade AM transmitter.  Cool
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 06:29:25 PM »

Maybee Ron Boot has a rig to lend.

klc

What? Me worry?
WA3VJB
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »

it would be kinda romantic to have my first contact be with a homemade AM transmitter.  Cool

Well y'know, Mr. Bothwell, there are some kits out there that produce good AM.
This site is run by Dave Benson, K1SWL:
http://www.smallwonderlabs.com/

Tunable Receiver- 50 kHz, selectable, varicap-tuned
4 kHz receiver crystal filter
Room-filling speaker volume 
Crystal-controlled Transmit- 3880 and 3885 kHz supplied (7290 kHz on 40M)
Transmitter output power:  2-2.5W carrier/ 8W peak
Transmit and Receive ALCs
Uses readily-available and inexpensive dynamic mics

* RetroKit.jpg (442.63 KB, 790x539 - viewed 366 times.)
N0WVA

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 08:45:45 PM »

Congrats on getting your Technician license!  As they say, you have just begun enjoying this wonderful hobby.  Believe it or not, some AM'ers do enjoy CW and I just happen to be one.  CW is one of those modes that you either like it or you don't.  It will never replace AM for me but you do meet some great people on CW.  The gear is so simple you also find some that build there own CW rigs.  So that's and instant start to a good technical QSO even on CW!

Joe, W3GMS

I have noticed many new hams have found out the easiest way to build "something" is to go the CW route. For a beginner, its the best entry into homebrewing.
ssbothwell SWL
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 02:01:30 AM »

I have noticed many new hams have found out the easiest way to build "something" is to go the CW route. For a beginner, its the best entry into homebrewing.

this seems to make a lot of sense to me. my plan is to build a bunch of modular components for QRP CW communication to get started. i want to make oscillator units for each of the HF bands and and a series of amplifier and filter stages that attached together via BNC connectors.

i'm also interested in getting an old boat anchor transmitter such as a DX-60 that is well documented and that i am capable of repairing or modifying.
WA3VJB
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 05:14:02 AM »

this seems to make a lot of sense to me. my plan is to build a bunch of modular components for QRP CW communication to get started. i want to make oscillator units for each of the HF bands and and a series of amplifier and filter stages that attached together via BNC connectors.

i'm also interested in getting an old boat anchor transmitter such as a DX-60 that is well documented and that i am capable of repairing or modifying.

Hey Solomon I hope someone might step forward and shake loose a DX-60 for you, that'd be cool.  Where are you, California? They're not too heavy to ship, either.  There's a DX60 net you might try to listen-in on.

DX60 can sound really good with some mods of the kind pioneered by the late "Bowie Bill," WC3K and others -- here's a link.

http://amwindow.org/tech/htm/dx60aud.htm

* DX60net.jpg (717.33 KB, 1463x1034 - viewed 373 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015