The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:13:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i got my technician class license  (Read 21291 times)
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2011, 05:18:20 PM »

Smiley

i appreciate the jokes and the name acronyms.

KS2AM, the ham swap meet is at the end of the month and the next VE exam i plan to go to is the weekend after that. maybe i can find some nice boat anchor material at the swap meet and just skip the ssb stuff all together (assuming i can past the general a month from now).

do any of you have a list of boat anchor brands and models that i should be on the lookout for? i cant spend more than about $100-150.

Hi Solomon,

If you are looking at boatanchor gear you are looking at a separate transmitter and receiver.  $100-$150 is wishful thinking for a working combination unless someone is willing to help you out.  You may be able to find an older working transceiver like a Yaesu FT-101 in the $200 range but YMMV.    Anyone else on amfone have any ideas ?

Regardless of what HF gear you end up with, a good antenna is an important part of the equation if you want to be heard.   Have you given any thought to what sort of antenna you want to put up ?  How much room do you have ?

Sam

--- Post No Bills ---
ve6pg

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »

..1/ congrats on getting ur ticket..

..2/ i cant figure you guys out, with these whacked-out restrictions on your
      license...

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
ssbothwell KJ6RSG
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2011, 07:31:17 PM »

Smiley

i appreciate the jokes and the name acronyms.

KS2AM, the ham swap meet is at the end of the month and the next VE exam i plan to go to is the weekend after that. maybe i can find some nice boat anchor material at the swap meet and just skip the ssb stuff all together (assuming i can past the general a month from now).

do any of you have a list of boat anchor brands and models that i should be on the lookout for? i cant spend more than about $100-150.

Hi Solomon,

If you are looking at boatanchor gear you are looking at a separate transmitter and receiver.  $100-$150 is wishful thinking for a working combination unless someone is willing to help you out.  You may be able to find an older working transceiver like a Yaesu FT-101 in the $200 range but YMMV.    Anyone else on amfone have any ideas ?

Regardless of what HF gear you end up with, a good antenna is an important part of the equation if you want to be heard.   Have you given any thought to what sort of antenna you want to put up ?  How much room do you have ?

Sam

sorry i was thinking 100-150 just for a transmitter. i dont mind doing minor repairs as well. i have been working on home-brewing a superhet receiver.

as far as antennas, i have a two story house with a backyard. i was planning to start out with 1/4 wave wires running off my roof to a tree in the backyard and then switch to a fancier setup in the near future.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015