The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:16:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: road trip  (Read 11582 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: September 28, 2011, 07:35:38 PM »

a little road trip the next 2 weeks.. mostly surplus places of the west, picking up a transformer (I hope), and visit my brother.

If there are more surplus places in the area, I'd be interested in knowing where they are. Not all the ones on the route are worth it but together they might be. I like the kind with a yard and lots of old junk.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=4718+Kildare+Avenue,+Dallas,+TX+75216&daddr=3095+STERLING+CIR+STE+1,+BOULDER,+CO+80301-2306+(JB+Saunders+Co)+to:MT+Rushmore,+13000+Highway+244,+Keystone,+South+Dakota+to:electronic+dimensions+surplus+424+Puyallup+Ave,+Tacoma,+WA+98421+to:17513+Dusty+Court+Southwest,+Tenino,+WA+98589+to:West+Coast+Shoe+Co-Wesco,+52828+Northwest+Shoe+Factory+Lane,+Scappoose,+OR+97056+to:surplus+gizmos,+5797+NW+Cornelius+Pass+Road,+hillsboro,+or+to:90377+Boeing+Drive,+Eugene,+OR+97402-9536+(Oregon+Air+%26+Space+Museum)+to:apex+electronics,+8909+San+Fernando+Road+Sun+Valley,+CA.+91352+to:Murphy%27s+Electronic-Industrial,+401+North+Johnson+Avenue,+El+Cajon,+CA+92020+to:Grand+Canyon,+Village+Loop+Drive,+AZ+86023+to:4718+Kildare+Avenue,+Dallas,+TX+75216&hl=en&sll=39.97712,-110.039062&sspn=52.252517,43.505859&geocode=FUvR8gEd4gY7-ik3vADiCpdOhjFsTRl9BywEew%3BFfzSYgIdwVa6-SFLtv3_WXNBlQ%3BFVt8nQIdKG7V-Skb6_2M1zV9hzEZ-b3GpeOD1Q%3BFQvV0AIdmeSz-CEA1nx1ljXaPil7H1oneVWQVDHFhGpgRtAQsg%3BFfqbygIdSg-s-ClLPGZEtmWRVDEBRPCSki3kwg%3BFfpFugId9OKs-CErHjWJMA-6XA%3BFWI3twIdObys-CHC-W7WGn44wCkrhCmB6gWVVDF53GJF45by7Q%3BFVEloQId0e2n-CmX7e8V1gLBVDGukU2AaP8dJw%3BFVVQCgId3pbx-CGR3nUvhbvz6imZTX9FBJTCgDH0rbblZ-E8oA%3BFcx69AEd2CoH-SHbLMbsDqrrSSmNJWofzVnZgDE4T1_nvSbxUw%3BFcAoJgId7eFQ-SlxsfIttBAzhzEMpzaY2MIOcA%3BFUvR8gEd4gY7-ik3vADiCpdOhjFsTRl9BywEew&vpsrc=0&mra=pd&t=m&z=4

or
http://g.co/maps/954yt

* 1.gif (96.81 KB, 707x535 - viewed 405 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »

BTW with Geiger counter in hand... any hot rocks in the region? Non-rad is OK too, I like interesting looking ones too.

K5WLF
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 10:18:32 PM »

Patrick,

Now THAT'S what I call a road trip. I'm headed out Sunday for a week in Greensburg KS to direct a video about the sustainable rebuild after the EF5, but my 900 mile trip pales in comparison to your epic trek.

When you're in Riverside CA, check and see if J&T Surplus is still there. Jurupa Ave north of Van Buren on the west side of town. Out Van Buren off 91 like you're going to Pedley, then right on Jurupa. Big building about 300' long. When I was there it was painted woodland camo. Yep, the entire building.

I heard they changed ownership, so no guarantees, but back when I managed the place years ago, we had all kinds of weird electronics in there. It's about an acre under one roof, so there's plenty of room for all kinds of exotic, fun stuff. At one time, we had two SR-71 start carts on the floor. The ones with two Buick V-8s in them.

It's been a long time, and I have no idea what they're doing now, or if the place is still open. But if you're close, it's worth a look.

Have a great trip,
ldb
K5WLF
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 11:00:33 PM »

Pat there is one in Alberquirky.  The name escapes me right now and I am not sure it exists in past form.  However they had lots of stuff from the lab there.  It is on Central Ave. between San Mateo and Louisana on the South side of Central.  Maybe John, K5PRO will know.  You might PM him and ask.  There is also a big one up near where he lives. 

If you return on the South passage, I-10 there is a place in Las Cruces that has stacks and stacks of stuff.  Neither of these places are good for ham equipment but you will find parts galore.  If my memory hasn't failed it is South of Lohman on Solano about 5 blocks down on the West side of the road
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:21:36 AM »

Pat there is one in Alberquirky.  The name escapes me right now and I am not sure it exists in past form.  However they had lots of stuff from the lab there.  It is on Central Ave. between San Mateo and Louisana on the South side of Central.  Maybe John, K5PRO will know.  You might PM him and ask.  There is also a big one up near where he lives.

I know of only these from the Big Capacitor/Roswell trip of June 2010. They are big on junk and parts and electronics, not really ham stuff, more scientific if anything:

Jones Surplus Barn Inc 10921 Central Avenue Northeast Albuquerque, NM 87123-2729 (505) 298-9295 This is an Army Store with bonus electronics items and worth stopping at - I recall that they were a little pricey on some items in my opinion. I do not need to revisit that one.

Surplus City 10805 Central Avenue Northeast, Albuquerque, NM 87123-2727 (505) 292-7131 If you like electronics or chemistry this is the best place in Albuquerque and has a large yard and good prices. There were things in the yard of interest but the owner was away and the staff would not price them. This one is worth revisiting. If its a choice, this one.

There was also another place, even better, but it was closed and the guy moved all the junk to his place and is ebay only. I spoke with him, he does not allow anyone to shop and seemed worried about being stolen from, and said being stolen from was why he closed the storefront. The street there Central is a 'bad' street with many bums, which I saw a few idlers around even early in the day.

If you return on the South passage, I-10 there is a place in Las Cruces that has stacks and stacks of stuff.  Neither of these places are good for ham equipment but you will find parts galore.  If my memory hasn't failed it is South of Lohman on Solano about 5 blocks down on the West side of the road

I found this on Solano, no website. I'd say the 1005 address is the closest thing to the 5 blocks location. Computer Surplus Outlet 1005 S Solano Dr Las Cruces, NM 88001 505-647-0926 definitely a used computer store. Could not find anything else, and looked with street view as well.. Can you recall anything further?

I usually refer to http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_surplus_us.html but it is not always up to date.

When you're in Riverside CA, check and see if J&T Surplus is still there.

About J&T Surplus in Riverside, I think it has gone south.
Here's a whining and comical review written by an unhappy and possibly confused person. Or it would be comical if it wasn't so sad. Left me thinking, why did she even go in a military surplus store if she was so fussy about... things and conditions that might be found in a military store!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/j-and-t-military-surplus-riverside
And a bunch of references to paintball stuff. This is from 2010, so it doesn't look too good. A shame if it was once great and has been spoiled by devotion to paintball.

I wish more of these places would maintain websites, or had customers that would put something up, but I guess that's not for everyone.  I-10 is interesting because it is close to the border and there's a nice INS inspection station on it and I was glad to have my military ID as the people ahead of us were scrutinized. Also the Deming Truck Terminal in NM which has a recently re-opened restaurant "Desert Sky Cafe" and that was really good.

I need to meet up with Dennis on this trip, will save a lot of shipping!

I'm open to more suggestions and corrections!

K5WLF
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:55:08 AM »

Yeah, looks like J&T has gone paws up for all practical purposes. That's really too bad. It was a great store when Jan and Tim Ruof had it back in the 80s. It was a fun place to manage and Tim and I were both nuts about weird stuff so the stock was strange and varied. We'd hit every military auction we could and came up with some great equipment. China Lake was one of my favorite auctions to go to. Edwards AFB was good too.

That's the only one I can think of, Patrick. Have a great, and safe, trip.

ldb
K5WLF
KB3DKS

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:12:45 AM »

I went thru Albaturkey about 6-7 years ago and got to check out the e-bay sellers storefront then. He is big on audio goodies but does come up with some interesting old
stuff in his listings. Surplus City was real interesting but got there too late in the day to really give it a proper explore. Defiantly recommended! The outdoor yard reminded me of a Surplus Dealer in the W.B. PA area that I used to visit in High School. Was too busy with studio work when in CA to check out anything there but on the way back did stop at Mendelson (Parts Express) in Ohio and got several lbs. of real useful mil grade hardware. Wanted to check into FRS but it was too late in the day.
 Have a good trip !
Bill
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »

Apex was a great place the back of the S.F. valley I have not been there in years but bought some cool stuff. I think one place you listed is across the street from Murphy Surplus in El Cajon. I always buy something when I visit Mike Murphy. He is a good guy to deal with.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »

Opcom said

Surplus City 10805 Central Avenue Northeast, Albuquerque, NM 87123-2727 (505) 292-7131 If you like electronics or chemistry this is the best place in Albuquerque and has a large yard and good prices. There were things in the yard of interest but the owner was away and the staff would not price them. This one is worth revisiting. If its a choice, this one.<

This is the place I remembered.  If anything brings better bucks on Ebay it will cost a lot.  The equipment is scientific but a grand place for parts.  Do watch out for the bums though.  Don't know if you have a CC permit, but I would take one along if you do.  Nm is reciprocal with TX.

Opcom said

I found this on Solano, no website. I'd say the 1005 address is the closest thing to the 5 blocks location. Computer Surplus Outlet 1005 S Solano Dr Las Cruces, NM 88001 505-647-0926 definitely a used computer store. Could not find anything else, and looked with street view as well.. Can you recall anything further?<

That address sound right.  It was 99-2000 when I lived there so at my age, memory is not a priority.  I grew up in the country so I can take you there but don't remember the address.  Inside you will find parts but you may have to disassemble the equipment after buying to get what you want.  Prices are more reasonable here than one would think.  Of course the prime stuff may go to Ebay.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:16:54 PM »

gee never knew about J.T.
I spent time in Fullerton 2009 and 2010
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »

Pat, what is that parts place in NW Dallas, along Valley View (I think)?  Just off I-35 going west about a mile.  I think it is at the corner of Valley View and Senic.
John K5PRO

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 03:10:18 PM »

Hey Patrick,
I was at Surplus City on Monday, just checking what changed in the past 2 years. They have a lot more rack mounted power supplies, literally tons of them, and plenty of motors and gearboxes, more than before. Out in the yard, well, too much for me and YL to absorb, so we left. Jones has always been a crank to me, at least the old man at the counter. Maybe he moved on. The other place, Electronic Surplus, was run by Skeeter and years ago by his old man. Hes' the guy on ebay mostly. Years ago you could walk in and buy plug ins for tube tektronix scopes, old radios, transformers, off the shelf. But the shoplifters along Rt 66 (Central) are bad along that section. Over by Surplus City its just as bad. Its all among the worst part of ABQs red light zone.

When you go through Colorado Springs on your loop, be sure to visit OEM Parts. They have a class outfit, everything is organized and binned. You'll like that one.
Give me a shout when you drive through, maybe we can visit again.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »

Pat, what is that parts place in NW Dallas, along Valley View (I think)?  Just off I-35 going west about a mile.  I think it is at the corner of Valley View and Senic.

That is Tanner Electronics. Mostly new surplus parts, clean stuff for the students, but they have some 400-600V caps, etc,

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 07:10:24 PM »

Hey Patrick,
I was at Surplus City on Monday, just checking what changed in the past 2 years. They have a lot more rack mounted power supplies, literally tons of them, and plenty of motors and gearboxes, more than before. Out in the yard, well, too much for me and YL to absorb, so we left. Jones has always been a crank to me, at least the old man at the counter. Maybe he moved on. The other place, Electronic Surplus, was run by Skeeter and years ago by his old man. Hes' the guy on ebay mostly. Years ago you could walk in and buy plug ins for tube tektronix scopes, old radios, transformers, off the shelf. But the shoplifters along Rt 66 (Central) are bad along that section. Over by Surplus City its just as bad. Its all among the worst part of ABQs red light zone.

When you go through Colorado Springs on your loop, be sure to visit OEM Parts. They have a class outfit, everything is organized and binned. You'll like that one.
Give me a shout when you drive through, maybe we can visit again.

I will try to call.  - OEM Parts - is it still a walk in store? They have an ebay online store, not sure what is going on. looks good though.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 07:27:33 PM »

with Eva's..  The Grand Canyon is north of Eva's, not sure how I-8 will save miles if I am going there as well.
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=4718+Kildare+Avenue,+Dallas,+TX+75216&daddr=3029+N+Hancock+Ave,+Colorado+Springs,+Colorado+80907+(Oem+Parts+Inc)+to:3095+STERLING+CIR+STE+1,+BOULDER,+CO+80301-2306+(JB+Saunders+Co)+to:MT+Rushmore,+13000+Highway+244,+Keystone,+South+Dakota+to:electronic+dimensions+surplus+424+Puyallup+Ave,+Tacoma,+WA+98421+to:17513+Dusty+Court+Southwest,+Tenino,+WA+98589+to:West+Coast+Shoe+Co-Wesco,+52828+Northwest+Shoe+Factory+Lane,+Scappoose,+OR+97056+to:surplus+gizmos,+5797+NW+Cornelius+Pass+Road,+hillsboro,+or+to:90377+Boeing+Drive,+Eugene,+OR+97402-9536+(Oregon+Air+%26+Space+Museum)+to:apex+electronics,+8909+San+Fernando+Road+Sun+Valley,+CA.+91352+to:Murphy%27s+Electronic-Industrial,+401+North+Johnson+Avenue,+El+Cajon,+CA+92020+to:Grand+Canyon,+Village+Loop+Drive,+AZ+86023+to:eva%27s,+7087+N+Sunland+Gin+Rd+%C2%B7+Eloy,+AZ+85231+to:4718+Kildare+Avenue,+Dallas,+TX+75216&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=39.37493,-110.093335&sspn=30.851641,67.631836&geocode=FUvR8gEd4gY7-ik3vADiCpdOhjFsTRl9BywEew%3BFVMrUQIduNPA-SE8dgTn2zzJMw%3BFfzSYgIdwVa6-SFLtv3_WXNBlQ%3BFVt8nQIdKG7V-Skb6_2M1zV9hzEZ-b3GpeOD1Q%3BFQvV0AIdmeSz-CEA1nx1ljXaPil7H1oneVWQVDHFhGpgRtAQsg%3BFfqbygIdSg-s-ClLPGZEtmWRVDEBRPCSki3kwg%3BFfpFugId9OKs-CErHjWJMA-6XA%3BFWI3twIdObys-CHC-W7WGn44wCkrhCmB6gWVVDF53GJF45by7Q%3BFVEloQId0e2n-CmX7e8V1gLBVDGukU2AaP8dJw%3BFVVQCgId3pbx-CGR3nUvhbvz6imZTX9FBJTCgDH0rbblZ-E8oA%3BFcx69AEd2CoH-SHbLMbsDqrrSSmNJWofzVnZgDE4T1_nvSbxUw%3BFcAoJgId7eFQ-SlxsfIttBAzhzEMpzaY2MIOcA%3BFXC49AEd5wpY-SHB3JwFAin9nw%3BFUvR8gEd4gY7-ik3vADiCpdOhjFsTRl9BywEew&vpsrc=0&mra=ps&t=m&z=5

covers OEM parts and Dennis in casa grande, returns on I-10.

The thing being I need to be in colorado springs (surplus) on Monday, and still get to Wesco in Scappoose, OR, on a weekday. I might have to give up a stop on the northward section.

PJ

W7POW

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 01:59:04 AM »

Too bad a couple SX-28s take up so much darn space...I'd see if you wanted to pick them up in Spokane and deliver them to me in Eugene, OR.   Wink
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 04:03:59 AM »

I have a trailer but they'd have to be boxed, not sure how things might slide around unless tied down. I'll be back on the BBS tomorrow night probably, PM me and I can see if it is possible or not. I want to be at Wesco during business hours and the northern route to OR is tight on time so kind of juggling the schedule.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 10:09:03 AM »

http://bunkerofdoom.com/travel/2011oct/index.html

In the KOA in Rapid City, now heading tor MT Rushmore. I am told there is a new head - Crazy horse.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 07:19:11 PM »

Miles City, Montana.. with some luck may get to Ron's place for the big transformer about 9 PM . Can't find the phone # for some reason but have the adr. Pobably won't have internet again till much later. my cell is good. 214 763 4764

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 08:28:27 AM »

some updates- lots of pictures of Electronic Dimensions in Tacoma WA.

http://bunkerofdoom.com/travel/2011oct/index.html

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 09:19:33 AM »

Patrick,
           Those look like some way kool places. Man..............is sure would be nice if we has some shops like that around here! ! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »

These kind of places are few and far between. Its a pity the better ones are so few. Maybe by showing these pictures, it'll be useful in driving a little more biz to those places as well as encouraging travelers to visit them.

Friday's update is posted - Among other things there was a CO2 laser. That is in my trailer now.

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 07:30:31 PM »

Pat, are you coming to the Texhoma hamfest the end of this month?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »

I would sure like to! Thanks for bringing it up.. I had forgotten. I need to, and bring stuff to sell off and some to give away. I have to find the url.

Today's the long drive across CA. We are in Redding CA now at the Stardust motel. It's in need of maintenance..

KE6DF

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 11:35:54 AM »

I you get over to Sunnvale, you might stop at "Weird Stuff".

They are not focused on radio, but they have lots of er... weird stuff.

http://www.weirdstuff.com/

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015