The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:04:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: road trip  (Read 11580 times)
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 04:32:42 PM »

I would sure like to! Thanks for bringing it up.. I had forgotten. I need to, and bring stuff to sell off and some to give away. I have to find the url.

http://www.texomahamarama.org/main.htm
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 12:48:47 AM »

I you get over to Sunnvale, you might stop at "Weird Stuff".

They are not focused on radio, but they have lots of er... weird stuff.

http://www.weirdstuff.com/

Wierdstuff Warehouse is definitely worth stopping at and I regret not having time to visit this trip. I have been there before and feeling short of time I am already near LA, for the two places near there.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 12:51:45 AM »

I visited the Oregon Air and Space museum and it was really cool. Spent a few hours there. BTW there is a 'large size' Westinghouse TSC transmitter there, sr#44. I have extremely detailed pr0n of this.

* 100_9871a.jpg (473.18 KB, 812x1229 - viewed 355 times.)

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »

We're in "Motel San Diego" in San Diego. If you like motels  rather than hotels, this is the one to be at. Its unique, very pleasant, and on entering the room I felt comfortable right away.

Tomorrow is Murphy's Junk Warehouse, and then to visit Dennis.

The list of pictorial accounts posted so far:

Monday, 2011 OCT 03 - OEM Parts Inc.

Monday, 2011 OCT 03 - JB Saunders Electronic Components

Tuesday, 2011 OCT 04 - Mount Rushmore

Tuesday, 2011 OCT 04 - The Transformers!

Thursday, 2011 OCT 06 - Electronic Dimensions

Friday, 2011 OCT 07 - Surplus Gizmos

Saturday, 2011 OCT 08 - Oregon Air and Space Museum
Saturday, 2011 OCT 08 - huge transmitter at the Oregon Air and Space Museum

Monday, 2011 OCT 10 - Apex electronics

I hate for this road trip to end (soon) with so many days left. It's really hard to plan ahead when one does not know what to expect, but that's part of the adventure. I hate to think about what I've spent, but some consolation is that I spent less on goods than gas.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 03:31:36 AM »

Today Tuesday was Murphy's.. Mighty fine. picked up a Sencore LC meter and a gigantic dual variable cap that measured 780pF with both units meshed. It has maybe almost 1/2" spacing, butterfly rotors, and is two units ganged with slate ends. It is obviously from a large TX.

We are in AZ now just crossed the border at a Love's truck stop, glad to get out of that 55MPH CA situation with the trailer.

The roads from San Diego to the Grand Canyon are very curvy and slow and I decided to forget doing that all night. Better than missing a 25MPH curve.

lots of border patrol activity on I-8.

Proceeding tomorrow toward the vicinity of Eva's.. last minute change but we have plenty of time and days.

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 10:22:18 AM »

I would like to have a video of the scene when they stop ur truck to find that contraband!! Cheesy

_-_-bear

PS. If we had all known about ur trip in advance we could have bought tickets and you could have leased a tour bus...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 05:36:52 AM »

RVs motor homes and campers start at about $500 a week plus miles, plus plus plus...  It all makes a certain sound when it hits the wallet. Hate to think what a tour bus with a paid driver would run. Lots of 'rules' apply as well.

I would love to do the tour bus thing - everyone would have to embark from one spot or show up at a destination to be picked up. Need a video crew.. and just drop in unannounced.  real reality show.

The electric kool-aid acid test for electronics men. --buy an old 40FT school bus (with a/c) and install a full power station in the back with a big nasty tuner and a U shaped wire antenna on the roof that starts at the station, loops up to the front of the roof and back, to ground there. sort of like an aircraft setup.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »

Yesterday we met up with Dennis G. and had lunch and discussed 'stuff'. That was a rollicking good time before and this was no different.

Glad to be back in Texas. In NE El Paso. A 9-hour drive will put us at the Junk Farm and we will store most of the oscilloscopes and other stuff for later fun. The big transformer, laser, rectifiers, and Sencore LCR meter and certain other things will go home with me today.

As I get older, I appreciate an off-road vehicle with more amenities and here is a place to get one. This i think was in Montana, will resolve it later.

* we_build_toys.JPG (880.17 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 358 times.)

* we_build_toys_2.JPG (864.48 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 363 times.)

WA1GFZ

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »

Hope you got to hang out with Mike Murphy. Last visit was a Saturday afternoon and we hung out for a couple hours. He let me roam the back room.
How was Apex? I have not been there in years. I think I will be out that way this winter.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 02:49:42 AM »

Mike (the senior guy?) was out of town. His son and wife were there and we talked quite a bit. They are nice people. I really liked them.

Apex was very interesting, lots of things in dark corners and a big yard. Pricing seemed to vary and negotiation is possible. The owner's a reasonable guy but has bigger fish to fry than in-store traffic, as their main biz seems to be industrial or volume customers. Nonetheless, you won't regret it and his help is a good bunch and helped all the customers we saw to find what they were looking for. I suggest you make that visit and take some cash along. The stacks go to the ceiling, but there's a ladder you can use to examine items you can't reach. Hope you check out the many pics I took via the link above.

I'm home now and glad to be here. 5800+ miles I think. Jacob was wore out. Tomorrow I am going to tinker with the CO2 laser.

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 08:04:09 AM »

Yep, we had a good time at lunch, solving most of the worlds' problems at the same time. Wink

Jacob was a fine example of a young guy with real interest and knowledge for vintage electronic ways.  Pay attention to the B+ sonny, and you'll go a long way.

I suppose it is my turn next to plow through Texas to your digs. Cool

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »

If you do, bring a truck..

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015