The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:45:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 74 year old pilot in a P-51 Mustang  (Read 18611 times)
KA3ZLR
« on: September 17, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »

Yeah man,

I guess there is no Time Limit to "When it's time to quit".....

Ya Know you really gotta watch at Air Shows...and Boat Races....nowadays..

Jack
KA3ZKR

http://news.yahoo.com/ntsb-scene-nevada-air-crash-killed-3-163950655.html
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:14:15 PM »

Air shows are becoming death traps lately

Fred KC4MOP
KA3ZLR
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »

Ya know Mop it's a shame, terrible shame actually not only for the Airframe but the loss of life like that boy I'll tell ya when it's yer time....

An the other part I Graduated 2nd in Aviation Metal Smith school in the Navy and I have a gooder understanding of Cabling Swagged Fittings of Cabling all type of Airframes of that period of time
Very Gooder Hydraulic Training, Painting General Metalsmithing of the Skins of aircraft that the
Military Required back then..

And there is a Reason the Military "RETIRE" Airframes you can't play with those things forever
that bird Belonged in a Museum...That guy was a Fool....

Jack
KA3ZLR
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »

bend, bend, bend, bend.....snap
KA3ZLR
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 05:08:31 PM »

Eggzactly.....

Jack
KA3ZLR
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 06:38:26 PM »

The headline could have stated, "Man electrocuted while doing phase alignment procedure on Central Electronics 20A". Then the comments come in about outlawing tube circuits, and that a 20A should not be on the air, but instead in a museum.. Grin
KA3ZLR
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 06:45:23 PM »

And that's some kind of point...eh...LOL

Jack
KA3ZLR
W2JRO

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 06:48:08 PM »

The headline could have stated, "Man electrocuted while doing phase alignment procedure on Central Electronics 20A". Then the comments come in about outlawing tube circuits, and that a 20A should not be on the air, but instead in a museum.. Grin
the only problem with that analogy is the guy aligning the 20a would not have had eight people standing in a puddle of water and holding hands so they would get electrocuted too.

KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 07:00:01 PM »

I saw a Gold Level unlimited racer being built. There's not much original airframe left. As a private pilot it bothers me that there's not an age limit for the gold races. I think age 50 for the unlimited level and 65 for the others such as T6's, etc. That kind of flying is not for old men. Well, unless you're Chuck Yeager.

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
KA3ZLR
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 07:05:29 PM »

Hi Well Said,

And it just isn't that more that old guy Killed alot of folks man...with his Smartness..
I seen him up at Oshkosh he was a Hotdog...then..Joe Pilot....

I liked Model aircraft years ago...and I went up a few times..to Oshkosh...

Jack
KA3ZLR
ve6pg

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »

..another crash today, at air show in west virginia...plane was a t-28..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
KA3ZLR
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 07:54:41 PM »

..another crash today, at air show in west virginia...plane was a t-28..

..sk..

Hi Tim,

Man you see that fireball wow.....

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2011/09/17/wwii_era_plane_crashes_at_wva_air_show/

Not a good weekend for Flight Opps...

Jack
KA3ZLR
k6hsg

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 08:15:57 PM »

After graduating first in my Navy "Aviation Electronics Technician" class My humble opinion is that he pulled back on the stick a little to quick and had a high speed stall.
The symptoms looked good for it.  Pitch up and over on your back and then straight  in.
I doubt that the airframe had very many hours on it. 

John,  K6HSG  Tucson, Arizona
KA3ZLR
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 08:23:58 PM »

Well we'll find that out when the Diggers turn in their report...

I'd have to do some backround on that bird and see before I'd say that.

Jack
KA3ZLR
KA3ZLR
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »

From just what the article states sounds like an original Airframe It had numerous engine changes that's normal the canopy had been
replaced and some modifications...

I'll look some more..

Jack
KA3ZLR
KA3ZLR
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »

Here's the History:

http://www2.leewardairranch.com/racing/history/cleveland

They slimmed her down..

Jack
KA3ZLR
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 12:23:31 AM »

I have never liked flying but have appreciated the technology and people.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KL7OF

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 02:44:55 AM »

I was there guys....I saw it....The most unbelievable thing I have seen in a long time...It is now Saturday and since the races were called on account of the crash...I'm headed back to to Tum Tum..I'm gonna take the long road home from Reno to Susanville and then 299 to Eureka, CA and then up the left coast to seattle and then on to Home....I will tell you the story on 75 or 160 if you care to listen...lots more to the story than what the media puts out.........wild sh1t.....   Steve...Boatyard call my cell....
W7POW

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 03:13:04 AM »

First off...I am glad your ok Steve.  As soon as I heard the news of a P-51 crashing into the crowd I remembered you saying you were going to the races and was a little concerned.  Good to hear from you.  Please let us all know, possibly a sched so we can all tune in on 75 or 160 and hear the story.
Chris
KA3ZLR
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 07:41:53 AM »

Hi,

I'd like to sit in on that conversation...

Jack
KA3ZLR
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »

I suspect that the airfram was near new. This wasn't a museum piece is was a race plane. This was an air race - not an air show.

Things break and likely something did. It has happened at Indy and other place and spectators got killed.

I doubt it was caused by old airframe or an old pilot. Anytime you push the limits of physics, and that is what you are doing flying a prop driven plane at over 500 MPH at low altitude in dense air, things may break.

If anything was at fault, they are flying too close to the stands. They have been doing it that way for over 50 years though.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 09:53:41 AM »

At first glance, it looks like the trim tab broke off the plane's tail. There's a piece obviously missing in the pictures. That could be an unrecoverable situation at 400-500 MPH.

I's sure that every inch of that plane's metal was thoroughly gone over by non destructive metallurgy testing to look for fatigue, those people aren't idiots.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »

if you do talk about it on the air, could someone record it? i'd like to hear it , but can't listen in off the air because my antenna isn't up high enough to hear that far.
shelby

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KA3ZLR
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 10:12:44 AM »

I suspect that the airfram was near new. This wasn't a museum piece is was a race plane. This was an air race - not an air show.

Things break and likely something did. It has happened at Indy and other place and spectators got killed.

I doubt it was caused by old airframe or an old pilot. Anytime you push the limits of physics, and that is what you are doing flying a prop driven plane at over 500 MPH at low altitude in dense air, things may break.

If anything was at fault, they are flying too close to the stands. They have been doing it that way for over 50 years though.

Good day,

I listed further up the Page the History of the Airframe from the owners web site
it makes good reading.

Oh and the Airframe was Modified...it's not (wasn't) New...

Jack
KA3ZLR
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 10:33:08 AM »

I have been to the Reno Air Races a number of times and something I don't understand is in the amateur video the P-51 appears to be flying at speed directly towards the crowd. This may be due to damage causing loss of control. Ordinarily, any racing is done in a circle and passes from left to right in front of the crowd and about 300 yards away (estimate). Stunt planes may fly from the left or right but mostly over the runway at a safe distance.

My friends and I left during the Sunday show one year because a strong wind out of the north was pushing the stunts too close over the grand stands. They would pull up into a high stall over the runway like they should but by the time they had air speed enough to pull out they would be to close to over our heads. They closed the show shortly after we moved to the parking lot.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015