The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:22:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late Night, Early AM on 160 and 75 Meters?  (Read 23213 times)
W1UJR
« on: August 31, 2011, 04:38:49 AM »

Now that I've got the Elecraft K Line station in the house, I no longer have to trudge out to the barn to get on the air (unless I want to). Find that I'm doing much more listening than ever before.

Found I've become a bit of a night owl/Boiled Owl, listening in and reading from 11PM to 3AM or so. Does seem that most activity, even on the weekends, is now winding down around 11PM EST, miss the late night rag chews of old.

If you'd like to have a regular or irregular late night sked, drop me an email.
Right now I'm generally on 3880, 3885 Kilocycles on the 75 meter band.
Will switch over to the 160 band for winter conditions, 1885, 1885 and 1945 Kilocycles.
Operate both AM and that other fone mode. :-)

73 Bruce W1UJR

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:09:36 AM »

We Medicare aged folks, AKA OF's, find it difficult to get past 11pm anymore.....I don't think Don, K4KYV, qualifies yet.
I'm still an early riser cuz of the school bus job, but even summer 'vacation' was up by 6AM, just doing stuff.
Fred....................Nice magazine cover...........The good days for radio
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:31:59 PM »

Know the feeling Fred!

I've require more sleep now that I ever did in my 20/30s, used to live on 3 hours back then.

I do find that the radio thing in the house is nice, I'll often take a brief sleep, then get up and read in the radio room, listen to shortwave, then hit the sack again. Sleeping on either side allows me to get rest and yet catch up on reading.

I hope to catch you on the air!

Are you still moving to the Philippines?
Recall a few years back that was the plan.

-Bruce
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »

I've require more sleep now that I ever did in my 20/30s, used to live on 3 hours back then

I have heard people talk about needing less sleep as you get older? Not the case here. I need 8 hours.

I have never been a night owl radio operator. Probably because I'm too tired from the days activities  Cry Cry Cry

I'll be at camp in about a week & I'll give it a listen. Uncle Ed and KYV were the two I remember being on the most late at night although they didn't necessarily talk with each other. I never could figure out how Don did it and still teach school the next day Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »

Yep, I recall Uncle Ed, and I would often find Don on 160 late at night.
I haven't heard Ed on the air in a long time, very long time, he's got quite the talent.

There used to be another late night AM op, think VJB told me he was off the air now, believe that his name was Richard, lived in Philly or Pittsburgh.
I used to listen to him often, very polite and interesting operator, I miss hearing him on.

Another fellow I used to enjoy listening and speaking with was Bob W8EPQ, another gentleman, now a SK.

I'll have to go back and think about others, know there were a number, many of whom call signs now escape me.

Hope to catch you on air Terry!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »

<snip> "There used to be another late night AM op, think VJB told me he was off the air now, believe that his name was Richard, lived in Philly or Pittsburgh.
I used to listen to him often, very polite and interesting operator, I miss hearing him on." <snip>

That was Richard W3NCC.

Last I heard he had moved into a retirement home or an assisted living facility,
that was some years back. I dont know if he has gone SK or not, but he was up in his years.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1UJR
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 02:43:31 AM »

Yes! Thanks for the call, he was just one of those great OT ops, really enjoyed listening to him, polite and pithy.

Hope he's well, those OT hams have a special place in my radio heart.

Thanks for the call, just found this great write up --> http://oldqslcards.com/W3NCC.pdf
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 08:21:10 AM »

Bruce said:
Another fellow I used to enjoy listening and speaking with was Bob W8EPQ, another gentleman, now a SK.

A little unknown fact about Bob, W8EPQ(SK), he would only get on after 7:30 PM on 160M (with his Valiant), because at 7:30, the church next door to him would begin playing hymnal music through its outdoor loudspeaker system. Because the church didn't have a whole lot of funds, (read as: It bought the cheapest system), Bob inadvertantly got into to their PA when he would transmit. So he decided to play good neighbor and wait until the music stopped before he would get on the air. I use to talk with him regularly on 160 before his passing. A real nice fellow.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:54:25 PM »

Neat trivia bit Mike!
I first met him at one of the Ohio hamfests, recall he became a silent key right after that.
Passed just before my Elmer W2UJR, in fact the AMers had a memorial net for both Dick and Bob. He added a rich dimension to the radio service.
KL7OF

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »

I'm in WA for the winter.....10 oclock pm Pacific time is 1 AM eastern.....Listen for AM from  out west......I sometimes even make it to 11 PM...Looking forward to some winter condx altho not looking forward to winter...//
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »

I'm thinking of firing up La Bamba tonight. Gonna drop into the mid-40s under starry skies after an ungodly hot August. Good radio WX, Steve.
W1UJR
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 07:34:21 AM »

I'm thrilled - My old friends the drift net beacons are strapping on 160 now, last night it was in the 40s temp wise, think we've made the turn, 160 meter conditions are back! This might even merit getting the T-368 back on the air! Smiley

Speaking of T-3s, now that i've reduced the radio stockpile, i've made a decision to get sone of gear formally in storage back into circulation. Look for W1UJR to be QRV on 160 again this fall/winter. I'd like to circulate in some of the unused gear, DX-100, Valiant, T-3, even the K3 will get into the mix.

I look forward to hearing/working you gents on the air!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 08:21:15 AM »

Yup Things are beginning to happen...........
I had a nice QSO with some midwest folks KD8CVY and N8OKR....quiet condx and no near-by chatter and 20 over sigs.

UNfortunately it's gonna take the time change to get folks back to using their radios

Fred KC4MOP
WA3VJB
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 09:01:09 AM »

UNfortunately it's gonna take the time change to get folks back to using their radios

I powered up Saturday night, Fred, someone thought they heard you trying to check in, 3870Kc or so.  

Quite a few people on, many of whom were running outside to check on a supernova that Ken, KC2UDZ was seeing low in the NW sky. Pretty cool that we all were on the air to discuss seeing the same astronomy, despite being hundreds of miles apart.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 09:07:39 AM »

I wanted to get on 160, but have to work today.  Cry Next opportunity won't be until Sat., (pending employer again!)

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
k0jm
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 10:34:22 PM »

late nite on 3885...look for me...call me...may have   rx on listening to noise....frank   k0jm
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:04 PM »

Frank, good to hear from you.  I hope u doing okay.  I don't stay up very late but will give you a call if I do.  3885 can get busy so I know it is hard for you to get in there sometimes.   Anyway the trains are running here but not always on time hi hi.  Maybe catch you on a weekend.  73 from chicago

Rob

p.s. condx earlier tonight were great on 1880 you all.  no static and no hash and buzzies here, a miracle. too bad I have to go to work in the a.m.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015