The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:59:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Preparations???? How about you??  (Read 13179 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »

I suppose you could get one of those inverters and just run the critical item off of your car or truck. Some of those are rated for a couple KW.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »

Smaller inverters, sure. Not the bigger ones however. Always have to remember that watts are watts and most normal cars don't have the headroom (especially at idle) to supply the amperage needed to feed the larger inverters. Youll be hard pressed to find a clear statement of input amperage in any of the user manuals because manufacturers know this. The data is there in the specs, but it's worded as to make the average persons eye's glaze over and confuse them.

My last truck had a 2500w mounted inverter in it and the setup used a 225A leece neville monster alt under the hood. Even with that, it would still rev the engine up to 1500rpm or so when I turned it on.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Burt
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 11:11:48 PM »

The reporter must be a ham
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPMUuVGQaOA
WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 11:34:17 PM »

Well My Son and I spent the afternoon bracing and covering the south windows. Then a childhood friend stopped by and asked me "how many storm related broken windows have you ever seen in the neighborhood?" It was zero.
We bugged out at 9:00PM because we were getting bored and the state announced they were closing some roads. It was just getting windy and the rain was getting more intense. We have light rain here in Enfield. Waves were getting big but it was too dark to get good pictures. Rocky Neck was pretty much covered with water.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 07:46:10 AM »

We have had about 2" of rain since last night here in central PA. I just looked at the barometer and it appears to be trending upward, 29.14" Hg. I thought it would have went lower than that. We've gotten winter storms when the mercury dipped way down.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 08:45:13 AM »

So far here (South Central New Hampshire), nothing more than occasional periods of heavy rain, (I barely got wet to go out and get the Sunday paper).  Wind is 10 gusting to 25-30 mph.   Lot's of leaves and small branches about but so far so good.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WA1GFZ

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 09:09:03 AM »

1/2 million without power  glad I came home last night, many roads closed.
Wind is wipping and the storm is still in N.Y. Just down graded to a strong T.S.
Lights are flashing here Ch 3 is off the air.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 10:49:39 AM »

A friend lost a 72' US Tower when the cable broke and it was less than 2 years old. The problem was he was up in Maine on a point with the ocean on 3 sides.

UST told him tough luck as the manual says to change at 18 months. Luckily his homeowners covered tower, antennas and removal/installation of all new.

Carl
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 11:52:23 AM »

Change what at 18 months Carl?

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 10:28:31 AM »

the cables
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »

That's what I thought you might have ment, but had to ask because it's just ridiculous. UST knows damn well and straight that not too many people are going to change the cables every 18 months and they use it to weasel themselves out of having to honor any warranties. 

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »

The manuals say every 3 years but for salt water areas they say 18 months....when you have to ask.

Ive had several battles with UST back when I was doing tower and antenna work, a real sleazy outfit IMO.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015