The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:22:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Preparations???? How about you??  (Read 13180 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: August 26, 2011, 08:54:44 AM »

As Irene bears down on the Mid-Atlantic states, and is expected to pound the coastal areas and come across Long Island / NYC, and then on into the heart of New England, what are you doing to get ready??  This storm looks as if it will track much like Gloria did back in the mid-80s.  That storm did a LOT of damage in central Mass, that's for sure, and many other places.  This one looks as if it's going to be bigger and more powerful.

Here, we've got 30 gallons of gasoline on site for the generator, food, and all wire antennas will have to come down.  That's Saturday's job, assuming the hurricane stays on its current track.  At this location, flooding is not an issue as it is many other places, but being on a hilltop, the high winds are the big concern.

It's been a LONG time since we've seen anything like this come through central New England, that's for sure.

I guess parts of NJ have mandatory evacuation orders posted.

Looks like one big mess!!!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »

I'll be praying for y'all.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:14:40 AM »

allready being discussed in another thread.................

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=28649.msg220886#msg220886

OR

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=28674.0

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:34:07 AM »

A load of plywood headed to the beach Saturday morning. 6 large windows facing south a quater mile from the surf. I figure the waves will come up over the beach Sunday. Hope to get some good pictures. We plan to head home early Sunday. XYL wants no part of it she will stay up north.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »

I have 12 bottles of Canadian wine, 10 rolls of turlet paper, 8 size "D" batts, 6 ht's, 4 ham berger rolls, 2 orange vests and 1 500 pound pig 'o propane.

I'm all set fer a while.

klc

What? Me worry?
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »

Got the ancient Honda generator lit yesterday. Full of fresh fuel and ready to keep the place lit.

Ran the work genset 3 or 4 Saturdays ago to empty the tank before a scheduled refuling. .5 megawatts ready for use.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »

I have 10 C cells ready to go and a couple dry sticks.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 03:01:58 PM »

generator has been tested and standing by.
Filled the propane tank for cooking.
bought 4 10ft sections of schedule 40 pipe to extend down spouts. 
Bought a submersible pump for the basement. Don't think it will be needed but what the heck.
Batts are charged.
Cleared the brook of debris.
Secured all loose furniture and outdoor items.

Ants are staying up.  Plan to operate or monitor as much as possible.

I don't think the wind up here will be to destructive to structures, trees more than likely.  Just got to move and keep water away from the shack.

Weather station is live on the net for anyone who is interested in weather stats. It will be live as long as the PC stays live.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCTCOLCH4

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 04:11:49 PM »

i havent done a thing.
now its downgraded to tropical storm.
sometimes procrastination pays off  Wink
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »

Nothing happening here... no preparations to make really. The house is on a hill 200 ft above sea level and we're 100ft above the river a half mile away.  We're also about 80 miles inland.

A big tree could come down but I can't really prepare for that, can I?

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »

i havent done a thing.
now its downgraded to tropical storm.
sometimes procrastination pays off  Wink

This attitude often proves to be foolish to fatal.  Tropical storms are nothing to play with either.  One mph difference in detected sustained winds changes the category.  The real wind damages often come from spin off twisters anyway after the straight line winds have weakened structures... then of course the change in direction of straight line winds.

Winds are usually not the big issue with storms.  Flooding from rains and storm surge are what usually cause all the majority of the damages.

John KX5JT (Louisiana experience)

AMI#1684
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 08:11:12 PM »

Sending this in while doing a load test on the 17KW Generac "portable".  Carrying a lot of lights, small A/C unit here in the family room, 3/4  HP well pump, and the oil fired furnace/hot water.

It's portable cuz it has a lifting ring for a crane lift and small tires to roll it around on. Can power anything in the house up to a total 240V 3 wire 50A load through a big maul of a double pole knife switch manual bus transfer switch ahead of the main power panel to switch from shore power to the genny.  Replaced my now backup 4KW Coleman, which doesn't voltage regulate very well any more, and causes the voltage to sag badly when the well pump kicks on.  When the Coleman was new, ran on it for about 5 days after Hurricane Bob.  Can't believe that was 20 years ago.  The Generac just makes a little snort when the pump kicks on, don't even see a flicker on the lights.

Rig house for reduced electrical!  Prepare to snorkel!   S'cuse me, I have to put some yellow tape under the non-essential load breakers on the main panel and top off the gas tanks....

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »

I hope the western union splice on my primary hangs in...been there for as long as I can remember
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »

Got a fresh supply of extra chunky peanut butter, ritz crackers and beer today so I'm all set..

Just got back from Lowes. Plywood, generators and water were flying out the door.

Long lines for fuel at the gas stations I drove past today.

Boats being pulled out of the water ....

--- Post No Bills ---
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 09:02:24 PM »

Steve:

I am glad the eye is no longer formed. This is good as it will turn into just gusty rain quicker.

That being said, and having experience with Camille, Betsy and others in New Orleans-and have waded through knee-deep water, I have brought in all my yard stuff, tied my propane tank to a tree, cleaned the gutters (they were not cleaned last fall), loosened my dipole and covered the ham shack window access plate with a trash bag.

I also swapped my storm door screen for glass, gassed up the car, got $$ from the ATM, put new batteries in my flashlight, got a battery AM/FM radio ready, charged my HT and finally bought food and canned goods from the store (I had NO cans of food at home).

I am vulnerable to power loss, but it is not the winter. I can live with that.

Keeping up with local TV, NWS web sites (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/, http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/, Taunton SkyWarn http://www.wx1box.org/). I am forwarding the SkyWarn statements and hurricane prep info from http://www.ready.gov/america/beinformed/hurricanes.html to my local radio club.

In the end I hope we'll just get 5 inches of rain and gusts to about 45 MPH.

Good luck and be safe!

Dan

KA2DZT

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 04:37:47 AM »

Hurricane-----what hurricane?

It's 4:20AM Sat,  was just outside, the air is dead still, a little cloud cover, some stars still visible.

My generator broke the governor last FD.  I have a line running to the house next door where they have a 6KW Coleman.

We have all new underground power lines in this whole area.  Only way we can lose power is if the grid goes out.

Fred
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 07:49:26 AM »

It's good that the storm is weakening!!  Still, the predictions are that the center will pass just to the West of this location, with winds over 50 MPH, so that's enough to take down trees.  Probably will leave the antennas "up", but just loosen them quite a bit.  The power will go out - it always does when the wind comes up  Roll Eyes

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KC4ALF

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »

Its raining here on the Mntn, WooHoo! Been waiting a long time. Our biggest issue wind coming up the valley. Batteries fully charged, genset ready vehicles fueld and ready and pantry stocked. Wait.. Its always that way so in perpetual readiness, LOL.

Sunday Mass at Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 11:08:14 AM »

Probably will leave the antennas "up", but just loosen them quite a bit.

Yah, I'm going to step outside this evening and drop one side of the fan dipole and the center support rope for the 160 meter inverted v. That should help if/when a tree comes crashing down here or there. I found a nasty surprise AFTER I nested the tower. My lift cable has rotted! It's only 25 years old!! I want my money back!!! I didn't even notice it until my wife walked by and said, "Hey, is that safe?" Actually, it's safe now that it's nested and resting on the safety catches, but it certainly wasn't when it was moving!

Rob W1AEX

* 08-27-2011 Tower Lift Cable.jpg (33.33 KB, 640x480 - viewed 363 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »

Probably will leave the antennas "up", but just loosen them quite a bit.

Yah, I'm going to step outside this evening and drop one side of the fan dipole and the center support rope for the 160 meter inverted v. That should help if/when a tree comes crashing down here or there. I found a nasty surprise AFTER I nested the tower. My lift cable has rotted! It's only 25 years old!! I want my money back!!! I didn't even notice it until my wife walked by and said, "Hey, is that safe?" Actually, it's safe now that it's nested and resting on the safety catches, but it certainly wasn't when it was moving!

Rob W1AEX

Ummm, annual inspection much??

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
ve6pg

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 12:57:30 PM »

...here's hoping things dont get as bad as predicted...all please be careful, please keep us posted..we are thinking of you ...

..tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 01:12:46 PM »

Ummm, annual inspection much??

More like every 5 years Ed. Looks like I'll be stimulating the economy with a purchase of 5/16" stainless aircraft cable...

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 02:59:48 PM »

The news is making it sound like the apocalypse is coming. U could sell a loaf of bread right now for a grand and someone would buy it. Waiting for them to announce the zombies r coming. (that's really no prob cz everyone knows a 12ga to the face takes those out.)

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »

A friend of mine just got raped for $600.00 over normal selling price for a 5kw generator.  I told him to file a complaint using the states gouging law that is turned on during situations like this.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »

they say that generators at home dumpo and lowes are just about unobtanium. My one neighbor waited in line overnight to get one at 5:00am this morning.

Instead of buying 1 she bought 2 of them! She figgered she would be able to put the other one on Craig's list for double+ the price of one. Thereby getting hers free.

Nothing like the principle of "supply and demand"! Geeze.................... Shocked  Roll Eyes

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015