The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:19:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LIVING IN THE US-TRANSMITTING FROM CANADA  (Read 12657 times)
W2PFY
Contributing

« on: August 17, 2011, 05:45:43 PM »

What call sign would you use if you had property that was very close to Canada and you used a microwave link to remotely operate a transmitter in Canada? I am assuming that you had a call in both countries. I believe but I am not sure that Canada still allows the one thousand watt input to the final formula for operation of a transmitter? The power for this operation would come from Canada.

I have also heard that in Canada as long as you don't ruffle anyone's feathers, you could run a lot more power than 1000 watts.

Canada Hydro is supposed to be cheaper than our power which would be another reason for the well heeled ham that may want to do this.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KA3ZLR
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:03:08 PM »

I would think If Operations are localized , in a permanent type style and emissions coming
From Canada I would think they would require a call.

Better check with the Establisnment.

Jack
KA3ZLR
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:46:52 PM »

Transmitter in Canada requires a Canadian callsign.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:30:52 PM »

Industry Canada (their FCC) may also have something to say about cross-border control points too.

I know an AMer who controls and originates his Flex from the midwest while vacationing in Mexico. That's really slick.

Canada's rules, I dunno. Where's Ed, VA3ES when ya need him.  He's an expert.

I'm picking around IC's website out of curiosity.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01226.html
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »

Ive heard several Canadians say that 2500W out is legal for their top license. Ive operated many times mobile and fixed portable using my US call but not with a permanent station. I note that US contesters with a Canadian QTH have a Canadian call such as VY2ZM on PEI.

Carl
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:07:09 PM »

it may be the same or it may not be, but what's the difference between his idea, and using an echolink node in canada from a location in the US. actually, in that case there is more than likely a canadian control op in charge of said node. so i would say that the same thing would be true as long as a canadian op was in charge of the transmitter, they oversee the operation of the transmitter to make sure it is operating correctly under the canadian rules, and the op in the US controls what is being put out over the air. also in that case i would say use both your callsign and the callsign of the canadian control op.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:10:14 PM »

I hear Canadians like hockey.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »

Like the US, a Canadian station can put anyone on the air, licensed or not, via a phone patch or whatever, as long as a licensed Canadian operator is in control of the station on the Canada side. So an American ham in the US could go on the air from Canada as long as there was a Canadian control operator.
ve6pg

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »

..you would also have the use of our frequencies...all of 80/75 on fone, etc. as we dont have the "slots" for fone operation. you could easily fire-up on 7040, 14115, etc..and you are correct about the output power being higher. 1000watts dc input to the anode..with a class e rig, and it's efficiency, that's alot of am carrier, plus your voice peaks..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »

Hey, Tim, is Ed using his calls anymore?

That would be really convenient for Terry.
ve6pg

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 12:25:54 PM »

paul..i have not heard from ed in ages...i think he has rf issues with neighbours...another thought, if a u.s. ham was close to the border, a wireless link might work...guy in detroit points his link south, into windsor, or a guy in vermount points across to monteal, etc...

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »

(Last I heard) you can operate "portable" in Canada using a US call sign and licence without any kind of formal notification. So you  could set up the  station on the Canadian side and  remotely control it from your QTH,  using the appropriate portable designator.  As I remember you would simply ID as ""W2PFY portable VE3 or VE2, wherever the station was located. That may have changed, since the ITU now wants the prefix indicating the host country to come first, and at least in Europe, the call would be something like "F5/K4KYV".  That may not have changed between US and Canada, since some of the international complications in the amateur rules have been relaxed in both countries by special agreements.

I believe you could also take out a Canadian licence without being a citizen, just as you can now do in the US.  Not sure if you would have to have any kind of formal immigration status, of if you simply walk in and take the test.

The biggest obstacle would be acquiring the property and setting up the station.  Would it be attended or unattended? If unattended, there would be the problems of lightning, maintenance, vandalism and theft. And your relationship with the property owner would also be a factor, as well as a control operator if the station was to be attended. Ideally, the operation would be in one of those little towns that straddle the border, where it would be a 5-minute walk from your home QTH to the station. Of course, if you had the bux, you could simply purchase your own "vacation home" somewhere on the Canadian side, and like W9AD who has a villa in Mexico, split your operating time between the two locations.

I would think remote operation via internet, as W9AD does from Mexico, would be a better way to go than the RF link, which would have its own legal operating technicalities. When Dave comes on the air, he sounds exactly the same whether he is operating from Mexico or from Chicago, and I have to ask him where he is located.

It would be cool to tune up on 7115 from your QTH in NY State, start a contact or call CQ on AM, and proudly boast that you are running a KW DC input high level plate modulated (not that very many of to-day's "HAMS" would have a clue what you were talking about). Or to join the French round table on 3550.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 01:19:10 PM »

I hear Canadians like hockey

This looks like an outrageous attempt to hi jack the thread Grin Grin

This past winter I went to a hockey game at RPI in Troy, NY where RPI kicked Yale's butt something fierce  Grin Grin Grin

They played the National Anthem for Canada and the US as many Canadians attend RPI. The youthful enthusiasm was overwhelming and a real joy to be there. RPI is less that 15 minutes from here and next year I'm going to get a season pass.  

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 02:10:14 PM »

It answered your question as well as some of the other posts.

I like hockey too. No, I'm not Canadian.

* ca.jpg (92.58 KB, 792x612 - viewed 411 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »

I once went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.
KA3ZLR
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »

(Last I heard) you can operate "portable" in Canada using a US call sign and licence without any kind of formal notification. So you  could set up the  station on the Canadian side and  remotely control it from your QTH,  using the appropriate portable designator.  As I remember you would simply ID as ""W2PFY portable VE3 or VE2, wherever the station was located. That may have changed, since the ITU now wants the prefix indicating the host country to come first, and at least in Europe, the call would be something like "F5/K4KYV".  That may not have changed between US and Canada, since some of the international complications in the amateur rules have been relaxed in both countries by special agreements.

I believe you could also take out a Canadian licence without being a citizen, just as you can now do in the US.  Not sure if you would have to have any kind of formal immigration status, of if you simply walk in and take the test.

The biggest obstacle would be acquiring the property and setting up the station.  Would it be attended or unattended? If unattended, there would be the problems of lightning, maintenance, vandalism and theft. And your relationship with the property owner would also be a factor, as well as a control operator if the station was to be attended. Ideally, the operation would be in one of those little towns that straddle the border, where it would be a 5-minute walk from your home QTH to the station. Of course, if you had the bux, you could simply purchase your own "vacation home" somewhere on the Canadian side, and like W9AD who has a villa in Mexico, split your operating time between the two locations.

I would think remote operation via internet, as W9AD does from Mexico, would be a better way to go than the RF link, which would have its own legal operating technicalities. When Dave comes on the air, he sounds exactly the same whether he is operating from Mexico or from Chicago, and I have to ask him where he is located.

It would be cool to tune up on 7115 from your QTH in NY State, start a contact or call CQ on AM, and proudly boast that you are running a KW DC input high level plate modulated (not that very many of to-day's "HAMS" would have a clue what you were talking about). Or to join the French round table on 3550.

Hi Don,

That's one way around it..Portable VE Kewell.. Smiley

Jack
KA3ZLR
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »

I once went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.

I haven't heard that one in years! !  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »

I am thinking that one must comply with the ham regs in the country one is operating from with the lesser of priviliges. A Canadian ham operating in the USA can't use AM fone on 7040 and must comply with our 1,500 watt PEP limit.

The question is if an American ham operating in or from Canada as W1XYZ/VE3 must still comply with American ham regulations or could he operate on 7040 AM with several KW PEP?

This sounds like a good ARRL question ;-)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »

If you are operating in Canada, you are outside the FCC's jurisdiction, so you must comply with Canadian regulations, not US. It is the Canadian government that accords recognition to your US amateur licence, and grants you permission to operate in their country using your US call sign. You would be subject to US power limits and sub-bands only if that were Canadian policy, which I seriously doubt. If you violated any rule, you would answer to Industry Canada, not the FCC.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
kb3ouk

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »

This sounds like a good ARRL question ;-)

knowing the ARRL, by the time they got done with gathering up all the information to answer the question, if they even got around to answering it, so much time would have passed that the person that asked the question probably wouldn't even remember it. Or they would have no idea what to do in this situation. honestly, i think that the dumbing down that has affected the rest of the amateur radio hobby (i should say most of it, but not all of it) has began to take its toll on the ARRL, too.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »

This saves the speculation. From the RAC web site:
http://www.rac.ca/en/amateur-radio/regulatory/operating-in-canada/canada-usa.php

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 07:26:09 PM »

Pete, I *knew* that you'd step up here as soon as I mentioned the ARRL!

Tnx for the posting.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »

Pete, I *knew* that you'd step up here as soon as I mentioned the ARRL!

Tnx for the posting.

Actually the link I posted was derived from the ARRL web site under the International Regulatory Section and, more specifically, the Reciprocal Permit Section, http://www.arrl.org/reciprocal-permit Here you'll find tons of info on what you need and/or what to do, if you plan on operating in a foreign country.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 10:39:55 PM »

In 1952, Canada and the United States signed a Reciprocal Operating Agreement treaty. In the terms of the agreement, visiting amateurs may operate in the host country in accordance with the rules and regulations of the host country.

Just as I thought.

You can legally run a plate modulated KW on AM on 7115 or 3550.

- - -
kb3ouk

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 11:31:58 PM »

the funny part is, according to how that is worded, a canadian in the US has the same privilages as they do in canada, except they must follow the fcc's mode restrictions and the US band edges. so they have to follow our band plans but can run their power levels. that makes me wonder, if you had a canadian license, but lived in the US and wasn't a canadian citizen, could you operate here under your canadian license at their power levels?

correction- that may work if it wasn't  for one thing, it's against the rules.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015