The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:10:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LIVING IN THE US-TRANSMITTING FROM CANADA  (Read 12656 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »

the funny part is, according to how that is worded, a canadian in the US has the same privilages as they do in canada, except they must follow the fcc's mode restrictions and the US band edges. so they have to follow our band plans but can run their power levels. that makes me wonder, if you had a canadian license, but lived in the US and wasn't a canadian citizen, could you operate here under your canadian license at their power levels?

correction- that may work if it wasn't  for one thing, it's against the rules.

See the first paragraph:

Canadian amateurs operating in the USA have the same privileges as at home with the following limitations:

- All operations must be in accordance with FCC Part 97 Rules, and particularly;
        - Amateur operation may not exceed the U.S. band edges [97.301(a)].
        - FCC mode restrictions must be followed [97.305].

So simple even a cave man could figure it out. Per the reciprocal agreement, when operating in Canada, US licensees operate under Canadian regulations.  When Canadian licensees operate in the US, they operate under US regulations.

It is up to Industry Canada how they treat US licence class distinctions while operating in Canada.  It is up to the FCC how Canadian licence class distinctions would be treated while operating in US.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
VE1IDX

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:21 AM »

Just to clarify some power limits we have up here. On SSB the legal limit is 2,250 watts pep. On AM, or any other carrier mode including FM and CW, the limit is 750 watts of carrier. The old 1 kW DC input to the final is still on the books but has largely been replaced with power output limits.This is found in section 10 in the link.

http://www.alfaradio.ca/docs/RIC/ric2.pdf

Learn from others mistakes.You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »

Canadians are smarter than United States-ese.

When the FCC changed over to output power rules, they couldn't figure out how to word Part 97 in such a way as to retain the old DC input definition, nor how to limit the power of carrier modes in terms of carrier output.  They also claimed that their field engineers would have needed extra training in order to be able take measurements using more than one alternative, and that such training would have imposed a costly burden on the FCC's budget.

No, no B.S. factor involved here. I still have the paper documents on file that the FeeCee published when they addressed the matter.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA3ZLR
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »

Hi Don,

I think you know how I feel about them , But all they had to do is Train One well...
Then that One goes around and trains everyone else..Buy a few Netwerk Analyzers
and off ya go...I know it's easy to say but...Not Smart Thinkers there....

Jack
KA3ZLR
VE1IDX

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »

Canadians are smarter than United States-ese.

I've always said that.  Grin  Wink

Learn from others mistakes.You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 11:45:43 PM »

oops, i was reading HOST country as HOME country.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015