The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:01:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: identify this engine  (Read 27324 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »

For you engine afficionados and gearheads out there take this little quiz and see how ya do. I aced it, and thought it was pretty easy. See how you do  Grin  Grin

http://www.americantorque.com/game/engine-id/

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KA3ZLR
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »

LOL.. Cool Excellent...

Jack
KA3ZLR
kg8lb
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 10:54:34 AM »

Good one Slab. They covered most of the popular 'rod engines . Would have been more fun had they thrown in some inlines like a Hudson Twin H, Maybe a Buick Fireball inline 8 and an old Pontiac inline . The Sprint 6 OHC Pontiac and a Jeep Tornado would have added some fun ! Maybe a Stude 289 and maybe an AMC 401 would have stumped a few  Wink
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »

If you liked the first one, this one is a little harder. I missed 1 on this one.

http://www.americantorque.com/game/60s-V8-engine-ID/

kg8lb
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 11:14:59 AM »

Slab,
The light bulb went on !   You nailed the Visible V8 ID . The water outlets on the head should have been a giveaway ! I always thought it was a bit more generic but the heads especially clue right in .
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2011, 11:20:35 AM »

the year given on the show tag for the tractor was 1960 for the engine. the tractor itself was a late 40s, i think.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:11 AM »

the year given on the show tag for the tractor was 1960 for the engine. the tractor itself was a late 40s, i think.

Shelby,
            That engine was not available in 1960! It hadn't been developed yet.
There was a 318 available in '60, but it was not the LA series, it was the old "poly head" with the sawtooth shaped valve covers.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »

Slab,
The light bulb went on !   You nailed the Visible V8 ID . The water outlets on the head should have been a giveaway ! I always thought it was a bit more generic but the heads especially clue right in .

So was the old style Turbo Hydramatic transmixer  Grin  Grin

kg8lb
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2011, 11:51:10 AM »

Hydramatic ? Not the "Turbo" yet was it ? Looked a lot like a Buick Dynaflow Huh
 But hey, a lot of that is filtered thru cobwebs .Still , pretty darn generic.  Haven't been haunting junkyards lately so memory is a bit blurred by time.   I do still work on some fairly rare (unique) cars to this day...Like the Buick Y job, the Cadillac LeMans, The Mako Shark  etc  Wink
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »

That transmixer was used (under various names) in Cadillacs, Oldsmobubbles, Pontiacs and Buicks. But, for whatever wierd reason they were never put in
"Shove It Or Let It Lays". They got stuck with lame-assed 2-speed Powerglides.

B&M automotive got their start wey back in the early '60s making a racing version of that transmission called the "B&M Hydrostick"  

kg8lb
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 12:07:55 PM »

Yep , The Hydramatic was used by Lincoln, Roll Royce, Kaiser and a few other non GMers as well. Chevrolet had to compete price-wise so they devloped the cast iron powerglade. Actually a fairly good box for an econ car. The CI Powerglides were used frequently for drag racing. Chevrolet also produced the forgettable "Turboglide" The iron internals often rotated in the aluminum housing . The resulting grooves made disassembly nearly impossible.
 At least one version of the Visible V8 had the sidemounted valve body like the Hydramatic so you nailed that one too Wink

The "Turbohydramatic" came along later.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2011, 01:23:09 PM »

Yea, But I still refer to them as a Turbo Hydramatic. that cut away is one of the old 4-speed "Hydramatics". they would have been one hell of a transmixer if back then, they had the friction materials and lubricants they have now! ! !

It's kinda funny, "back in the day" automatic trannys were not very robust compaired to today, and somewhat a mystery to most mechanics. This really gave them a bad rap amoung hot-rodders back then. Not to mention that many of the transmission shops were known for really sticking it to the customers

I have blown up and rebuilt my share over the years and kinda like working on them, I just hate pulling them, and puttin em back in.

I dont know about Lincoln using them being that the Ford / GM feud that still rages to this day. But, I have been wrong before.

One rather interesting user of them, though, was the Jaguar XJS used a TH and a Gm / Fridgidaire axial A/C compressor as well.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »

Yep, the first auto in a Lincoln was a Hydro. Henry must have fired a lot of people over not having a suitable tranny available and even then it was a real POS for a few years. The aircooled Fordo wasnt even considered as it would never have held up to that huge Lincoln flatty torque V-8 monster wheras the Hydro was battle tested on the equally huge V-8 flatty Caddy and the OHV's

They also wound up in Nash, Hudson and a light tank.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015