The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:42:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: identify this engine  (Read 27327 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »

I can't wait for my prize for being the first guy to get it right.

Ha!

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KL7OF

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 01:58:45 PM »

The engine is small block MoPar...The exhaust manifolds are distinctive...Yes be very scared of flex pipe...I have a little experience with exhaust systems...The tractor is a Massey Harris 44..They were available with several engines from the factory..The one I have was a sweeper tractor.Built in 1949...(had a rotary brush mounted  on the belly)  It is powered by a flathead 6 continental..wound up tight she gives 1700 RPM...I got it out of the dump after the Gov't threw it away...It is very low time...seems they could never get it started...It restored with minimal effort...I have the rear fenders..They aren't finished yet...The MoPar powered Massey probably pulls pretty good.That pretty girl on the Massey is Jan..WB7PZS

* DSCF1110.JPG (1051.57 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 478 times.)

* DSCF1111.JPG (1044.95 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 484 times.)

* DSCF1112.JPG (1031.79 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 440 times.)
KL7OF

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 02:06:16 PM »

More Massey pics..

* DSCF1116.JPG (1037.91 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 454 times.)
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 05:14:21 PM »

i still see flex pipe being used in some places, especially on semi trucks, at the base of the stacks. usually a piece of it is used there as an elbow, to take up any bending between the bottom of the stacks and the run of pipe from the engine. i've also saw a piece on a truck that rusted out completely from sitting out with nothing covering the stacks. i think that would be one good pulling tractor too. it is a 444 massey harris. wish i knew who owned it, i'd like to hear how hard of a conversion it was.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »

Wonder what you think about the tailpipe extensions the kids are using on their tuners. We call them grapefruit launchers, yet, I have to say, they sure add some class.

Paul,
I prefer to start my charcoal with news paper instead of fossil fuel.  Cheesy

Mike
kg8lb
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 05:51:20 PM »

On a 327 the Oil filter is on the driver side of the motor.

And the fuel pump is on the passenger side

Jack
KA3ZLR

Yes, The oil filter is on the left side of the engine with both the original small block and big block Chev.
 In the industry we usually refer to the left and right side of cars rather than "Passenger" and "Driver" side . Many cars today are built both left and right hand drive, depending upon country of sale. In the US the left side is the driver side .

KL7OF, The flex pipe doesn't really scare me . Easy enough to bend a proper tube. What scares me is that flex pipe is a pretty fair indication of the skill level of the "tech" who probably did the rest of the job. In that tractor I would far and away prefer the original Continental or perhaps a Hercules over that car engine anyhow  Wink

I would not try to ID the engine by the Ex manifolds alone in any event. Better try block casting numbers or SN but the Ex manifolds can fit many models.

And Mike, Newspaper IS fossil fuel Wink
WA3VJB
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 06:09:34 PM »

I suppose if you're trying to light with petrified wood.

But yeah, Mike correctly identifies the "Weber" setup on my tailpipe.
When I tell people I put a Weber on my roadster, they grimace, until I show that photo.

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 06:14:56 PM »

I wonder what engine the "Visible V-8" model was based on?

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
kg8lb
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »

Webers up front would probably be quite a step up from the Hitachit copies of SU carbs ! But the grille thing Huh
Petrified wood is fossilized . It once was fossil fuel but waited too long. Paper is just fossil fuel .
Whenever you see Flex Pipe, best to just walk away  Huh   Pure hack !

Not always.  I have considerable time in sports cars/rallies and under certain demands the flex pipe will hold up where the stock design will not.

The most popular "Visible V-8" was the Revell model kit. Fairly generic but similar to the Ford V8 of the 60s. if I recall correctly.
 Monogram and AMT made a real fine looking model of the 283 Chevy.

For other than originally intended uses.. If you need to take up movement there are far better alternatives to flex pipe.  Many hours/ laps with all types of two and four wheelers. Never used flex (In fact many sanctioning bodies forbid the stuff) never had an exhaust system failure.
Still best to "walk away"...briskly, smiling.IMHO  Grin
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »

There is hammy hambone level flex pipe and then there is the stainless marine grade which is sturdy and in regular use on many boats without incident.
WA3VJB
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »

It's a little early in the time line to call wood pulp/newspaper "fossil fuel" unless you mean it as being an ingredient for nature's process of creating hydrocarbon products.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/f/fossil_fuel.htm
kg8lb
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 08:21:55 PM »

The stuff I am talking about is the stuff on the tractor. Made from mild steel or stainless it is trash.

As mentioned earlier, I have no problem with engineered flexible couplings like this :

There are other engineered flexible exhaust methods but the helical stuff is still hack. Sad

Paul, yes you are correct.. a bit early .. Sorry Mike ! Embarrassed
KL7OF

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »

The stuff I am talking about is the stuff on the tractor. Made from mild steel or stainless it is trash.

As mentioned earlier, I have no problem with engineered flexible couplings like this :

There are other engineered flexible exhaust methods but the helical stuff is still hack. Sad

Paul, yes you are correct.. a bit early Embarrassed
These flex connections are called" wrinkle bellys" in the diesel exhaust trade..We always put one in a marine installation close to the turbo end of the system....For vibration elimination..The one pictured has a Stainless Steel wrinkle section and stubs of heavier material to make it easier to weld..I never use the spiral flex, stainless or otherwise in a diesel marine system..Our systems are welded or use welded on flanges..never clamps...much different than diesel truck systems...
KA3ZLR
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 09:25:54 PM »

On a 327 the Oil filter is on the driver side of the motor.

And the fuel pump is on the passenger side

Jack
KA3ZLR

Yes, The oil filter is on the left side of the engine with both the original small block and big block Chev.
 In the industry we usually refer to the left and right side of cars rather than "Passenger" and "Driver" side . Many cars today are built both left and right hand drive, depending upon country of sale. In the US the left side is the driver side .

KL7OF, The flex pipe doesn't really scare me . Easy enough to bend a proper tube. What scares me is that flex pipe is a pretty fair indication of the skill level of the "tech" who probably did the rest of the job. In that tractor I would far and away prefer the original Continental or perhaps a Hercules over that car engine anyhow  Wink

I would not try to ID the engine by the Ex manifolds alone in any event. Better try block casting numbers or SN but the Ex manifolds can fit many models.

We're getting so picky over a Farm Tractor..LOL..O.M.G.

In the Industry of My Barns on my Farm it's Driver and Passenger Sides... Grin

Jack
KA3ZLR
kb3ouk

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »

yea i don't see what difference the flex pipe on the tractor makes. i could see why someone would not want it on an enclosed car where it could rust out, causing an exhaust leak, but on a tractor? the only purpose it is serving is to get the exhaust down from the engine.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 11:36:02 PM »

You guys are missing the point to this tractor. It's a toy project. They took out a 40something hp roach and put in a 260hp small block mopar and probably use it for sled pulling. Noise probably isnt an issue and a couple 1ft lengths of parts store flex pipe off the manifolds for 2 bucks gets the job done.  Roll Eyes

Do some googling and you'll see a v8 swap is popular in these old Massy's. That's probably all that's saving them from being turned into a dozen import sh!tboxes.  Lips sealed

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 11:43:03 PM »

Whenever you see Flex Pipe, best to just walk away  Huh   Pure hack !

Wonder what you think about the tailpipe extensions the kids are using on their tuners. We call them grapefruit launchers, yet, I have to say, they sure add some class.

I call them 'fart pipes' because the little 4-bangers wind up and make a similar buzzing sound.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb3ouk

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 11:45:02 PM »

hey, i don't care what they do to them, as long as it keeps them out of the scrapyard.

kg8lb
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 06:09:50 AM »

Jack
KA3ZLR

Not trying to be "picky" just offering a comment on clues to general workmanship. Toy or not . It was a comment regarding the tractor, not a critique of someone's comment.
However, were you referring to the correction regarding Mopar or Chevy as being "picky" Huh

BTW, Is there a passenger seat and a driver seat on this tractor ? Is it left hand drive or right hand drive ?

When the drive train breaks, that swap may well nudge the tractor into the scrap pile.   Wink Then again,demolition derbies keep cars out of the scrap yard too...for a day.
kb3ouk

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 07:07:43 AM »

there are hundreds of old tractors running around with V8 in them. most of the people who build them know that they can't load them down really heavy or it will tear up the transmission and final drive.

KA3ZLR
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 07:37:18 AM »

Jack
KA3ZLR

Not trying to be "picky" just offering a comment on clues to general workmanship. Toy or not .
 Or were you talking about not calling a Mopar a Chevy as being "picky" Huh
BTW, Is there a passenger seat and a driver seat on this tractor ? Is it left hand drive or right hand drive ?

When the drive train breaks, that swap may well nudge the tractor into the scrap pile.   Wink Then again,demolition derbies keep cars out of the scrap yard too...for a day.

Hi

Ya Know I was born on a Farm I werked on Farms in High School to earn pin money..
and when my Pap needed a wrench or a Pair of Channel locks out of the tool box
on the floorboards in his red Ford Flatbed he'd say Pete he called me Pete when I
lived at home he'd say something like get me a 7 shit stinks out of the tool box on
the floor boards under the Passenger seat...now if he woulda said the Left hand side
of the truck depending on your View now just which side of the truck is that there O.M...? Smiley

Depending on your approach from the front or from the rear..it could get confusing...

So I'm glad ya clued me in,.... I mighta Missed something here by golly...

Jack
KA3ZLR

kg8lb
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 07:43:15 AM »

there are hundreds of old tractors running around with V8 in them. most of the people who build them know that they can't load them down really heavy or it will tear up the transmission and final drive.
Yes , I am aware of that...sooner or later however Shocked.
Some folks consider this quite similar to putting a transistor radio into  an old tube radio.  I don't really care that much either way.

Depending on your approach from the front or from the rear..it could get confusing...

Jack
KA3ZLR

Yes, indeed we had a few Ford flatbead stakes with dump beds as well . I always knew that since we have Left Hand Drive standard in the US that the RIGHT side of the truck is the PASSENGER side regardless of your approach direction .
  I made that point since you seemed to be saying the Mopar filter was on the right side of the engine in question. An attempt to clarify and define based on standards.   Wink  No harm in offering up a little info. Glad to have clued you in.
The Mopar engine in the photo has the filter on the RIGHT side. Big block Chevys as well as some small block Chevys (LT-1) also have angled plugs .

You aren't alone, many  were born on farms. Some of us  worked nearly  every day.

Everybody makes mistakes. Corrections are no big deal. Some folks acknowledge , others divert and go personal ..I guess. Don't really like to see that happen.
KA3ZLR
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 08:03:54 AM »

Yes , I am aware of that...sooner or later however Shocked.
Some folks consider this quite similar to putting a transistor radio into  an old tube radio.  I don't really care that much either way.

Jack
KA3ZLR
  Yes, indeed we had a few Ford flatbead stakes with dump beds as well . I always knew that since we have Left Hand Drive standard in the US that the RIGHT side of the truck is the PASSENGER side regardless of your approach direction .
  I made that point since you seemed to be saying the Mopar filter was on the right side of the engine in question. An attempt to clarify and define based on standards.   Wink  No harm in offering up a little info. Glad to have clued you in. Many of us were born on farms. Some of us even worked every day.

Now your bringing in other people in your post. I'm not Part of this "us" thing..I guess
Ya know Yer one of them guys that Just Hasta have the Last word....

Welp, you started it.... Smiley

Jack
KA3ZLR

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »

Quite right. More likely the flame also.

Anyone who spent more than 5 minutes with a small block Chrysler would also know those manifolds are a bottleneck. Headers REALLY wake that engine up. If someone put on headers they would also know about the oil filter location because it needs to be changed with many header designs. Any Chrysler nut can pick this one out of a line-up.

As someone said it's a tractor so who cares.

I hope I've impressed everyone with my intimate knowledge of Chryslers Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Angry

yea i don't see what difference the flex pipe on the tractor makes. i could see why someone would not want it on an enclosed car where it could rust out, causing an exhaust leak, but on a tractor? the only purpose it is serving is to get the exhaust down from the engine.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »

that engine is LA series MoPar small block. (second generation 318, 273, 340 and 360) The "Poly head 318 has been gone since the late '60s.

Tom, the "Visable V8" model was based on a late '50s / early '60s Cadillac engine.
(I still have mine from when I was a kid)  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015