The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:35:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: astron 35-M wont go  (Read 12145 times)
N8ETQ

Mort

« on: August 13, 2011, 10:54:31 PM »

Yo'

Got an astron 35-M that wont go to 13.8vdc out when I turn it on
with a 25A load. It will cook that thing all day long but just wont
"Start" with that load.   With that load the V meter reads about 5
and the A meter reads about nuthin'. Remove the load and turn it on
all is gud, add the load, no problem. goes all day. WTF?

/Dan
Detroit47

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 11:04:16 PM »

Disable the crow bar, but you will have no short protection. Look at the schematic and you will see it, I don't remember if it is adjustable on that one. As I recall the regulator IC prone to failure.

John
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:06:14 PM »

Check to see if your Astron model has a current limiting, fold back circuit built in. If so it's my guess the current limiter sees the load, at start up, as a short. That's asking quite a bit from any supply to go from zero to a 25 amp load on start up.

You might think about a step start or relay delay for the load. Even a second or two might give the power supply time to hit baseline and spare the load any transient spikes.

Mike
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:19:07 PM »

Astron Linear Power Supplies:
SPECIAL FEATURES

SOLID STATE ELECTRONICALLY REGULATED
    FOLD-BACK CURRENT LIMITING Protects Power
    Supply from excessive current & continuous shorted
    output.
    CROWBAR OVERVOLTAGE PROTECTION on all
    Models except RS-3A, RS-4A, RS-5A, RS-4L, RS-5L
    MAINTAIN REGULATION & LOW RIPPLE at low
    line input Voltage
    HEAVY DUTY HEAT SINK CHASSIS MOUNT FUSE

Full details here: http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »

Disable the crow bar, but you will have no short protection. Look at the schematic and you will see it, I don't remember if it is adjustable on that one. As I recall the regulator IC prone to failure.

John

The crowbar is for overvoltage protection and although it's a noted problem with these power supplies that's not the problem here, or the ammeter would be pegged and/or the pass transistors fried.

Astron loves to use those stupid LM723 regulator ICs which are a royal PITA.  As John noted they tend to act flaky sometimes.

Finally when you turn those on there's a huge current inrush to charge the 64,000 uF capacitor which tends to fry the on/off switch.  Between charging that cap and the 25A load I'm betting the current limit is getting cornfused as Mike noted.   One of those 10 ohm or so NTC thermistors in series might straighten things out.

Here's a pdf schematic with notations on what's going on in each section of the PS.  It's pretty well designed in most respects, but if I was the designer I would have done something about the current inrush and wouldn't have used a LM723.

http://www.al7fs.us/astron-rs35m%20annotated%203.pdf

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W0BTU

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 12:34:25 AM »

Check out this eye-opening page about Astron power supplies: http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/astron-intro-stuff.html. Maybe you'll find something useful there.

73 Mike 
www.w0btu.com
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 12:35:21 AM »

that's soething all power supplies seem to have in common, that huge inrush of current when you flip it on. the one i use on my icom (can't remember who made it) is really bad for it, let it set for days then flip it on and it really bangs, you can actually feel the thing jump when it starts receiving power. makes the lights flicker a little. why couldn't they put soe kind of step start circuit in them?

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KC4VWU

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 01:55:39 AM »

Disconnect the SCR at the output.

73, Phil
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 06:21:14 AM »

Thanks for the input guy's,

Inrush + load = current limit. Didn't even think about that. Thankyou.
I did order 10 LM723 and thought about trying some other ones but the
switch on this one is already a little "Flakey" so I think I'll pass on that.

Again thanks.

/Dan
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 06:56:03 AM »

I zapped a 723 in one of those supplies just having too much RF in the shack (running an EF antenna at the time with tuner 10 feet from the supply).  In a nutshell, yes, the 723 is flakey.  Good you bought 10 of them!

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »

73, Phil

I wouldn't, particularly with this supply.  The 723 WILL blow at some time which will put 25V on the output.  The crowbar (SCR) is there for just such an eventuality.  Better to replace some pass transistors and a 723 than ruining a radio.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 09:35:16 AM »

Yeah,   Bad medicine, You can completely rebuild these things for
around $6. 4 2n3772's @ 1.20ea  TIP29 @ .35 and the LM723 @ .29.
No need to bet the YaeComWood on that!

Thanks again
/Dan

73, Phil

I wouldn't, particularly with this supply.  The 723 WILL blow at some time which will put 25V on the output.  The crowbar (SCR) is there for just such an eventuality.  Better to replace some pass transistors and a 723 than ruining a radio.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 10:32:19 AM »

I know of a friend of mine that wiped out his FT-890 with a bad Pyramid supply. I can't remember if it was a switcher or not. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Linear PSU are pretty simple to take care of.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 10:39:16 AM »

It probablay ain't the inrush current of the power supply as much as the turn on current of the load.
Don't fix anything. Just keep the load off until the supply is up and running.
With now walk in circuit that's the only way you should be operating it with heavy loads.
KA3ZLR
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 10:45:07 AM »

Hi,

I never start a DC Supply with a load on it. No No....I never did never will.

Jack
KA3ZLR
AG4ME

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 11:27:12 AM »

Yes, we see this problem with Astron power supplies in the marine electronics industry.
When an Astron LS-18 (28V 18A)  model is used on a JRC radar (JMA 5300),
the Astron power supply will go into over-current and the output drops
when turning the radar on, most of the time.   Sometimes it will power up.

or while whistling into a marine SSB radio such as a SEA222, while being