The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:01:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Variable Capacitor Tuning Dial Plate  (Read 18128 times)
aa5wg

« on: August 13, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »

Hi to all:
Is there a new source for this type of 180 degree numbered dial plate?  I can't find anything close to this rascal.  It will be used to help me tune the variable link and tank tuning capacitors in my link antenna coupler.  The one shown is from the General Radio Co. from the 1950's.
Thank you.
Chuck

* 1656_60_163-180-degree-dial-plates.jpg (7.73 KB, 305x261 - viewed 984 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 11:14:09 PM »

Buy one of these from Digi-Key or several other suppliers:
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/984534-dial-plate-1-11-digit-1-87-dia-p118.html
Play with your "jpg" to make it the same size and roundness.  Print it on good printer. Cut it all around carefully and glue it to the smooth side (back side) of the dial plate you just bought.

Or, just print it out on 60 or 80 weight smooth white cover stock, cut it carefully, and mount it to the panel. Who will know if it's paper or metal.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:30:05 PM »

You could also print it out using a laser printer on a transparency (ie one of those clear mylar sheets meant for an overhead projector) and affix it to a bare aluminum plate for contrast.

Or you could scour ebay and/or hamfests for one, or post a Wanted here in the classifieds forum - I'm betting someone has one kicking around the junkbox.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:44:34 AM »

Isn't there some outfit that advertised that they did custom anodised nameplates and dials? I seem to recall a  thread about it on this board.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
aa5wg

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:08:22 AM »

W3JN, Pete, Don and all:
I prefer a 180 degree numbered scale.  As far as printing the scale I don't want to do that.  I would ruin a paper scale real fast.
I prefer high quality plastic over metal but a metal dial plate would work.  I thought this was going to be easy.
Any other ideas out there?
Chuck
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 08:47:09 AM »

Any other ideas out there?

Or you could scour ebay and/or hamfests for one, or post a Wanted here in the classifieds forum - I'm betting someone has one kicking around the junkbox.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W4AMV

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 06:18:15 PM »

I used a CD ROM, plastic, has a nice hole already in place at the precise center. Then used VISIO to generate a PIE CHART and then overlaid that PIE CHART with another one of smaller diameter. Visio will subtact the two pie charts and leave you with just a ring which you can number. You can further cut off the bottom of the ring to generate a 0-180 half circle contour. I cut this out and super glued the finished paper dial onto the CD ROM.
W4AMV

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »

Oh, last comment, you can get CLEAR CD-ROMs, you can see right through them. So now simply OVERLAY the CDROMs, that is sandwich the paper scale between TWO CLEAR CD ROMS. Looks great, lasts forever.
aa5wg

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 06:32:46 AM »

W4AMV:
Using a CD is clever.  When you say Visio, are you referring to Microsoft Visio?
Chuck
VE3DDY
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 03:10:58 PM »

Hi to all:
Is there a new source for this type of 180 degree numbered dial plate?  I can't find anything close to this rascal.  It will be used to help me tune the variable link and tank tuning capacitors in my link antenna coupler.  The one shown is from the General Radio Co. from the 1950's.
Thank you.
Chuck
Use the Light scripe program on your computer and laser it directly into a CD as the label. You can scan the old one or anything you want into your compter and reproduce it via Lightscribe onto the face of the CD or DVD . You have to buy special disks though
Jim VE3DDY
W4AMV

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 05:27:35 PM »

W4AMV:
Using a CD is clever.  When you say Visio, are you referring to Microsoft Visio?
Chuck

Hi Chuck. Yes. However, power point or other graphic illustrator programs should work as well. Clear CD ROM discs are nearly free. Or colored ones are ok, just use reverse side(s). A colleague engaged the CD ROM disk with a rubber grommet.  Then rigged up a drive to the grommet which he could turn and that in turn turns the CD. Of course, you can drive the CD direct, in which case a shaft runs through the CD center and a washer etc... used to attach.

Alan
aa5wg

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 08:24:23 AM »

Jim, Alan and all:
Good ideas and suggestions regarding the CD approach.
Thank you.
Chuck
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »

I have seen past projects where the ham used cheap plastic protractors on the panel, and a suitable sized knob for capacitor indication.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »

I like the plain paper (or fancy paper) dial you design and print out in any color or design. I use an old program called CANVAS but Corel or any other drawing program works fine. Then you spray on some Krylon, cut it out and afix it. It looks OK, not perfect but OK.

Mike WU2D

* REGENDIAL.jpg (167.09 KB, 1552x1081 - viewed 1003 times.)

* Regen_WU2Dsm.jpg (289.73 KB, 1500x1125 - viewed 960 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
kg8lb
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 03:18:30 PM »

Royal Oak Nameplate Co. http://ronp.com/.. Will make just about any type you need . They have many old buzzard type labels in stock. You can also have laminated, engraved plates made that are very durable and easily cleaned.

They also do the MIL style etched tags to order..

YAWIA
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 12:07:38 AM »

Oh, last comment, you can get CLEAR CD-ROMs, you can see right through them. So now simply OVERLAY the CDROMs, that is sandwich the paper scale between TWO CLEAR CD ROMS. Looks great, lasts forever.

Now there's a place to hide those secret files..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 02:27:09 AM »

Royal Oak Nameplate Co. http://ronp.com/.. Will make just about any type you need .

Do they have a minimum order or will they custom make small quantities or single examples for a reasonable price?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
kg8lb
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 11:12:41 AM »

Royal Oak Nameplate Co. http://ronp.com/.. Will make just about any type you need .

Do they have a minimum order or will they custom make small quantities or single examples for a reasonable price?

It depends Don, on the type of label. If you want engraved, laminated tags,plates etc I have a local guy that will do one of a kind very reasonably. The engraver guy does a very nice job, reasonable prices and the material he uses looks right at home on old black wrinkle.

The etched tags from Royal Oak may have a fee for the artwork. On the other hand they carried some of the common types as open stock. Take a look at their product line. The catalog shows some of the stuff they will do. They can make up the Bud style tags. Perhaps a group could get an order together and get a break. Common tags like "Plate Current", "Grid Current" " Plate Voltage" On" "Off" etc ? If you need someone local to help get the work done let me know. They are only a couple of miles from here.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »

" They are only a couple of miles from here. "'

Do they have a dumpster?

klc

What? Me worry?
kg8lb
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »

Do they have a dumpster?

klc

Probably , It is required by law for most businesses according to local ordinances Huh  I could help Don at getting some work done but you will have to do your own trash picking .  They may even toss out edibles if you happen to be hungry.Or you may stop by if you visit the neighborhood, I'll buy you a cup of coffee and drive you over to the soup kitchen if you like.  Wink

This is their catalog PDF:

http://ronp.com/pdf/CATALOG.PDF
aa5wg

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 10:37:46 PM »

Mike your 40 meter 2 tube Regenerative work looks very good.
Royal Oak Name Plate is a good tip.  Yawia, can you give us a contact number or Web Site address for the engraver guy?
Thank you.
Chuck
kg8lb
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 11:02:23 AM »

Royal Oak Name Plate is a good tip.  Yawia, can you give us a contact number or Web Site address for the engraver guy?
Thank you.
Chuck

http://mcsengravers.com/

http://www.mcsengravers.com/Sublimation/Sublimation.htm

http://www.mcsengravers.com/LegendPlates/LegendPlates.htm

Explore !
aa5wg

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »

kg8lb:
Thank you for the links.
Chuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up