The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:46:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk about AM on Amateur Radio  (Read 17836 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »

With all these idea's how can I go wrong!   Thank heavens Ham's still have a good sense of humor. 

Steve-HX, I do concur that selling the good quality audio is a major point.  That's why I want to play some of the good quality AM signals.  I am sure many of these folks only heard AM in the SSB mode while zero beating the carrier.  Certainly not a good way to listen to the difference between how AM sounds vs. how SSB sounds.  I always explain Ham Radio as a pie with many slices.  Usually you can find a slice that you like.  Some of us even enjoy multiple slices! 

Talking about the younger generation, when I was back in Corporate America, once a year they would have bring your son's and daughter's to work.  I was always asked to give a talk on something to do with communication.  I was very surprised at how the kids liked it, Burt, no video's please  Wink.   I would bring in for my talk a piece of hardware for the different plateaus in technology.  I would give a basic overview first and then start with the props.  I would start with my rotary spark gap then move to my 1929 breadboard transmitter, then to a xtal controlled transmitter, then to a transmitter with a VFO, CW at first then to AM and ultimately stopped with the cell phone.  The kid's really liked it.  I had a receiver set up so they could hear how they all sounded differently.  When the next year came I got feedback from the parents that the kids were looking forward to my talk about radio again.  I also took a 450 TL and a filament transformer and had it hanging up with the filament on and they had many questions about it.  These kids had engineers for at least one parent so maybe that help make it as successful as it was.  Then again, none of my kids became engineers. 

Saying that, I try not to go into something like its a waste of time.  Ever now and then, one out of many will have an interest and go forward.   

Paul, thanks for the MP3 files and I will definitely use them.  If anyone else has any files or suggestions please pass them along. 

Gary-LB, talking about the Retro, brings to mind that is a kit which is appealing to some.  I will add the Small Wonders Lab link to my handout link sheet.     

Great comments and a lot of humor thrown in which is refreshing.....

Thanks,
Joe     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »

"  Then again, none of my kids became engineers.  "

J,

Be thankful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFVEV5VTNAc

What? Me worry?
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »

Yep, that was me as a kid.  Always taking stuff apart and trying to figure out how it worked! 
When I was spending to much time building the next transmitter my mother use to get mad at me and tell me I was going to get TB due to a lack of sunlight!  She would give me this baseball glove and make me do "normal things" !  It never worked Smiley

Joe, W3GMS

KA3ZLR
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 12:33:11 PM »

Hi,

And this Happened a lot when we were Little People... Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKd5hupXJVo&feature=related

Jack
KA3ZLR
KA3ZLR
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »

And our own Burt Has the Truth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWE7FrVY9T4&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Cool
Jack
KA3ZLR
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »

Hi Jack,
Not going to touch that one! 
Joe, W3GMS

KA3ZLR
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 02:22:19 PM »

Hi Joe,

Well it's all part of the program>.LOL...
we used to Dust off television Receivers..

And Burt is right what do we need with
Amateur Messaging system, I agree with
the guy...

Jack
KA3ZLR
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »

I just thought I would close the loop on this since I asked for suggestion. 

Last night, I was the guest speaker for a local radio club talking about AM on the amateur bands.  It lasted about 45 minutes and no one fell asleep which was good!

I had my audio clips all prepared to let the audience hear how the various AM rigs sounded.  Along with the audio clips, I had a good picture show highlighting various AM'ers shacks. 

On the technical side, I discussed the following concerning AM:

Class E transmitters with PDM modulation
Vintage AM transmitters
Converting Broadcast band transmitters for Amateur use
Discussed the various FLEX rigs
Using modern transceivers on AM and how to set them up properly

I made up a handout sheet showing where to find more information about AM operation on Amateur Radio. 

Thanks to all of those that helped me with the material.

Joe, W3GMS   

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 06:55:03 PM »

Very nice talk outline, Joe.

You covered it all... from homebrew PDM, BC rigs to Smug-rigs.  The audio clips must have made the talk.

Good job.

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KA2DZT

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 08:11:38 PM »

Hope Joe didn't use audio clips from any of my transmissions.  For sure we would have lost some potential AM'ers.

Fred
WA3VJB
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »

Last night, I was the guest speaker for a local radio club talking about AM on the amateur bands.  It lasted about 45 minutes and no one fell asleep which was good!

WELL ?  HOW did it go ??
Other possible readouts (pick all that apply)

-- no one threw anything

-- everyone had a story of their First Rig on AM

-- questions like "Isn't it really expensive these days to get a tube rig?"

-- Don't I need my Advanced to be an AMer ?

(more like this)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 09:52:51 PM »

Joe, we have a bring your child to work day also.
It is a good time.
KL7OF

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 01:54:38 AM »

Of course, don't forget to tell them about the Gold Medallion license endorsement for AM, it always looks so much better than the "regular" license... many hams don't know about it...

_-_-bear

I got mine!!!!
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 08:25:22 AM »

Very nice talk outline, Joe.

You covered it all... from homebrew PDM, BC rigs to Smug-rigs.  The audio clips must have made the talk.

Good job.

Thanks Tom for the comment. 

When I first got up to talk to the crew, I asked, how many people operate by a show of hands and I did it one mode at at time, CW-SSB-AM-FM and digital modes?  I was very surprised, but each of the separate modes showed similar numbers. I did that little survey to establish a reference point for my talk. 

They found the Class E information very interesting.  I showed pictures of some of the finer constructed Class E rigs and they were amazed at how small and relatively simple they were.  The fact that P.C. boards and parts are available seems to be a big plus with people building things today. 

Many were familiar with the Flex rigs but few ever heard how they sound on AM.  I had a recording of Rob, W1AEX using his Flex and they were amazed at the audio quality.  I played all the recordings from a CD I made through my Bose Wave radio.  On the CD, I tried to have a good sample of audio from all the various rigs so they could hear how great AM sounds today with the various old and new technologies. I even had one SSB recording for instant comparison!

One of the members made a comment which I thought was fitting.  He said, "yea but those old rigs when you turn them on you can smell the dust burning off and then you get to see the mercury vapor rectifier tubes glow as you modulate the rig and it just does not get any better than that" !!  Several others agreed with his assessment.   The newer guys just kind of smiled since they got a kick out of the comment, but really have never witnessed such stuff. 

The group seemed to pay real close attention as I was going through the proper adjustment when using a linear amp on AM.  I explained about headroom and the relationship between DC carrier out and PEP with 100% modulation. 

It was a fun night.

WELL ?  HOW did it go ??
Other possible readouts (pick all that apply)

-- no one threw anything

-- everyone had a story of their First Rig on AM

-- questions like "Isn't it really expensive these days to get a tube rig?"

-- Don't I need my Advanced to be an AMer ?

(more like this)

Hi Paul,
Nope no one asked any of those questions!  I was prepared for someone complaining about the bandwidth of AM, but nobody did.   Hams are funny and a lot of them have a bigger mouth on the air than in person!  The age range in the audience was 30's to folks up in the 70's. One gentleman is currently working on his Apache and thinks he may of killed his mod transformer due to a shorted 6CA7.  I told him, fear not since I have a spare for him if he needs it. 

Hope Joe didn't use audio clips from any of my transmissions.  For sure we would have lost some potential AM'ers.

Fred

Your safe Fred, no audio clips of DZT!  You would have been a good candidate, but space was limited!

Joe, W3GMS   

WA3VJB
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 08:40:37 AM »

Good tell, Joe.

I agree with Tom that by covering the whole range of AM you've put across how easy it is to access/participate.

If you happened to provide some walk away cards with this website and other details, maybe we shall see them on here soon.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 11:11:35 AM »

Joe, were the coffee and donuts fresh?

Sounds like you had a nice time. I put on a dissertation  about industrial batteries in a commercial setting and the first thing out of one guys mouth was "you better hurry up" I don't think he learned anything and I'm happy that you had an attentive audience.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »

Hi Terry,

No coffee and donuts, but they had 14K in cash according to the treasures report! 

Maybe I should have really "glazed" them over with some glazed donuts and coffee Smiley

Joe, W3GMS

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015