The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:15:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk about AM on Amateur Radio  (Read 17838 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: August 10, 2011, 08:36:31 AM »

I was approached to give a talk at one of the larger Amateur Radio Clubs in the area about amateur radio and how it relates to AM.  Hopefully it will help promote the virtues of AM to those that know very little about it. 

In preparation for my presentation, I am looking for any material in the form of pictures or text that would facilitate the presentation. If you have any thoughts or material that you would like to share, please send it along to me.  The presentation is in early September.

josephfell@verizon.net

Thanks!

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:34:56 AM »

Sounds like fun, Joe. As well as an excellent opportunity to spread the word. Used to do a talk on classic boatanchor gear at some of the clubs in VT, often with Mike, W1RC and Rene, K1MVP. It inevitably would turn more to AM with questions about using broadcast transmitters, different mics and the like.

I don't think we used much in the line of photos or such, mainly display items like big dud tubes, a Variac, things of that nature. Sounds like maybe you're going to do a Powerpoint presentation or have some kind of hand out? Steve has a wealth of AM stuff on the AMWindow from shots of ops to audio files and a lot more. I'm more than happy to send you some of the photos of gear and visitors from KAQ Radio, and can scan some of the old ads if you'd like. That shot of you with the disassembled Viking KW would be a great one to show just how craz.....dedicated AMers are.  Grin

Something that always appeals to the crowd is a working set up, or receiver at least. Though you might want to record some good, clear on air contacts to demo as you never know what you'll find on the air when the time comes. A solar flare could disrupt everything.

One thing is for certain: you are certainly well-stocked with display and demo items!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »

Hi Todd,

Many thanks for all the great suggestions.  I have a lot of audio files recorded and plan on playing them through the portable Bose Wave Radio. 

Here are just a few initial thoughts that are kicking around in my head about the talk: 

When you think about AM the first thing that I believe is noticed is the good audio quality.  To the average new Ham, he is used to listening to SSB or the local repeater.  A lot of new Hams are amazed at how good AM sounds especially when listened to on a good receiver. 

The next item I was going to discuss is how simple the AM gear is compared to the average modern rig today.  Pointing out how you can actually fix the stuff yourself may have an appeal to some in the audience.

I believe a short bit about the great fraternity that is present among the AM'ers.  How they are constantly sharing parts and technical advice to keep the vintage transmitters on the air. 

To make AM reachable to the audience, I feel the need to encourage them to get on with their rice boxes and give AM a try.  Maybe I will go into how to tune up the rig for AM and tell them don't set the carrier control to 50W on a 100W transmitter!  Go into the 4 to 1 reduction on carrier level and how that plays into allowing 100% modulation if the rig is capable of it. 

I was going to make some handouts and include AMfone and the AM Window links. 

I think a power point presentation would be a good format to use.  I will send the files in advance to the president of the club and he will bring his laptop which will be fed into a projector. 

Please send me any material you have that you think would be beneficial and definitely the one when Martha and I came down to pick up the Johnson Desk KW!  Maybe one of your KW-1, 300G and any others you choose to send. 

Thanks
Joe, W3GMS         

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:08:34 AM »

I wouldn't limit it just to "vintage radio" and heavy metal, although I would give ample coverage of those aspects.  Include some of the class-E and SDR stuff. Components are easier to find and cost less, and the technology might appeal to some the "state of the fart" crowd who would dare venture beyond appliance operating; maybe even give some passing mention of the latter. Note there are multiple facets to amateur AM.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
k3sqp

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:24:56 AM »

Hi joe,
Yep I think you are right, they will mostly be riceboxers. Be sure and direct them to where
and when they can go to listen to AM. The weekend nets are a good start. I think a lot of
"new" hams think AM is a thing of the past, and often are really surprised with the quality of
the signals and the quality of the QSOs. Most are more familiar with the hello/goodbye SSb QSo.
  But some show and tell boat anchor junque is always a gotcha. Often just a DX 60 will stimulate
their memories...

Good Luck
Frank
K3SQP

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »

To make AM reachable to the audience, I feel the need to encourage them to get on with their rice boxes and give AM a try.  Maybe I will go into how to tune up the rig for AM and tell them don't set the carrier control to 50W on a 100W transmitter!  Go into the 4 to 1 reduction on carrier level and how that plays into allowing 100% modulation if the rig is capable of it.

If you do a show of hands I suspect that will generate the most interest as the cost is zero. Just impress upon them that 25W is not going to cut it on most any band except for close local QSO's and then explain how to determine what their amp can safely do and why it is important to tuneup at full 100W CW drive and then switch to 25W AM.

Many of the high end ricers can do 100W or so and those can be heard barefoot quite well. I hate trying to drag a Ranger 30W out of the noise, even on a Beverage.

Carl
KA3ZLR
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »

Yea Man..and show an Interest in Receivers too...
Listening is the Beginning of things that happen..
As is Collecting...My fall back..:-)...

Heck Ya.

Jack
KA3ZLR
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:41:28 PM »

You might want to talk to Dale, KW1I. He's done a number of AM presentations over the years at Dayton.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »

Oh gosh!

No no no no!!

The last thing you want to tell them is how "good" AM is!
Dilution of the "gene pool" is never good.

Fact is anyone who is actually operating on 75m can tune into an AM QSO anytime they like and decide for themselves if it is anything that seems interesting or not. Especially true in the northeast where things are pretty active, dunno about the rest of the country.

In addition, these days are different than years past when finding out things and seeing things was not so easy and the only access was through QST and the other mags... now anyone can find this forum, other forums, multiple websites on all sorts of radios, people's stations, and of course YouToobe where one can see it all "real time" in motion for themselves...

So, that's my perspective.

Otoh, if you asked me to give a talk, I'd actually work it backwards! I'd take the straw man position that AM is no good, tubes are obsolete, big rigs are a PIA, and heavy, etc... giving copious examples of mouth watering pictures, etc, along the way... glowing tubes especially... make it clear that doing AM is NOT FUN AT ALL!!  Tongue

Consider a laptop and some pages preloaded, including some choice Youtoobe footage... (there are youtoobe downloaders, so you can put the clips on your hard drive...) a video projector would not be bad either...

Ok then? Cheesy

_-_-bear

PS. plus, if they get on AM, they might have to have a QSO with "GMS"!! Cheesy Now that is scary enough...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »

If they are using a ricebox (or Ten-Tec) there is no reason the power has to be limited to 25w.  Leen-yars work just as well on AM as they do on slopbucket as long as they are tuned up properly. If the amplifier doesn't have the scrote to maintain 100% duty-cycle carrier output @ 25% of peak power capability for more than a few  seconds, the power level can be cut back to whatever the amplifier is capable of safely running, and still gain a few dB over that 25w carrier.

Running piss-weak, unable to make or maintain a contact beyond the local yokels, will verify the long time propaganda-instilled "conventional wisdom" that AM is so inferior to slopbucket that it's not worth the bother.

With all the reports lately of certain "AM watering-holes" being devoid of AM signals, and so many well-known and well-respected AMers dropping like flies the past year or two and going SK, we could use a little outreach into the mainstream amateur community.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 03:55:19 PM »

Way to many comments to respond to each one, but thanks for taking the time to comment!  Some excellent suggestions.  Bear, you are a strange animal Grin

That is a great comment about touching base with Dale, KW1I to see if he has some material.  I always enjoyed his AM show at the Dayton Hamfest. 

We need to bolster more troops to get on AM.  The AM / SSB wars of the 60's are largely over except for the occasional skirmish that goes on. 

The mode is not going to appeal to everyone just like Ham Radio does not appeal to everyone, but every now and then it catches someone's attention and it may just be the "nudge"  to have them try out AM.  I think its important when someone does that we don't offer prejudice for not using a "high quality" transmitter or say "you need to get a real AM transmitter.  I have heard AM'ers in the past really come down hard on an op who is trying AM for the first time and really does not have things adjusted well.  We may think that "any ham that worth his salt"  knows how to adjust the rig for "good" quality AM but in reality giving help and guidance goes a long way.  If they have a positive experience even though the signal may have flaws they stand a good chance of coming back. 

For me, doing this presentation is part of the giving back and for me and my mentor (W3FDY-SK) always stressed that.     

Thanks All....

Joe, W3GMS         

WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 03:56:17 PM »

Joe the most successful talks I've given, based on audience interaction while underway, have started with the use of a contemporary transceiver on AM.  This immediately overcomes any notion they'll have to spend money or go large radios to participate with us.  I explain that I'm "out of my element" talking about modern rigs, as a way of foreshadowing, but I take with me a Fostex speaker and a laptop, and play a few sound files of Flex radios on AM.

Depending on when you're presenting, a laptop and a good wi-fi connection should let you hit globaltuners.com and a good receiver node to show some "live" AM.

After a very brief mention of the history of Ten Tec and how Hank, W2IQ, was a leader in convincing the company to abandon their reluctance to include AM, I point out how all popular transceivers today can do a respectable job transmitting and receiving AM.

I then play a file recorded by Dave, W9AD, of my station to represent the "vintage" aspect (never the pejorative 'boatanchor') of AM on HF.

A few photos, printed out on glossy 8x10 stock are circulating the whole time, showing the Heavy Metal stations I've encountered over the years.

By this time, they're ready with questions, and the rest of the "talk" is a chance to listen to them and reassure that they can easily join us.

Good luck, I always enjoy making such presentations.  Cards that list this website are a good walk-away.

UPDATE:

Joe I'd be flattered if you'd consider these for your talk. I recorded (R390A) Dave on his Flex, and he recorded (Flex) me on the 300-G.

http://qth.net/wa3vjb/7285-W9AD.mp3

http://qth.net/wa3vjb/7285-VJB.mp3

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 04:25:12 PM »

Paul,

Thanks for the suggestions based on your experience.  That is good information to have and it will allow my talk to be more focused by starting off with the new gear.  That will dispel any thoughts of having to have a large vintage transmitters to get on AM.  I will have failed in my presentation if they leave and think they will have to buy something in order to get on AM and that's assuming they already have a SSB xcvr.   

The Flex stuff would be a good example of how great a modern piece of gear can sound, although I will point out how very acceptable results can be had with non SDR contemporary rigs. 

Some audio files of various modern rigs on AM would be most welcome if anyone has any to send me.  Please tell me what the rig was that had been recorded.  If I sense interest in vintage tube gear, it will be a welcome opportunity to at least address that, but certainly not let that dominate the presentation. 

Thanks,

Joe, W3GMS     

k3sqp

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 04:44:15 PM »

In a lot of ways Bear is right. There   are no really "new" hams, and those out there , well if they haven'nt
figgered it out by now they never will
Frank
K3SQP
( did I just agree with Bear?)

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 09:09:51 PM »

There are new hams out there.   Most of the new hams are teens/twenty somethings too.  It's been a while since I have been to our local club meeting, but there was usually at least a few young folks taking the test for the first time.  Granted, a lot of them come into it via EMCOMM or some balloon tracking project at the University, but I also see that they love the HF attraction of talking DX or even just becoming active in regional nets.

I think a talk like what Joe is working on just might fall on fertile ears, if such young hams were present. 

The cost of getting on AM can actually be inexpensive compared to getting a recent or new model ricebox.  Often when johnny novices do express an interest, an old timer AMer just might loan them that extra DX-60 to get started.

Anyway, there ARE new hams, believe it or not.

John KX5jT

AMI#1684
KA3ZLR
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »

Well, I wouldn't say that about New Amatures here's a Fella I helped aquire his General Ticket just about a year ago with his station..: A Very Nice young man just starten out him and his wife good friend of mine...
Brett Donovan
K3BPD

Jack
KA3ZLR

* tn.jpg (51.15 KB, 637x478 - viewed 439 times.)
kg8lb
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 09:43:11 PM »

Let them know that you can work quite well even on 25 to 100 watts on AM.  We have often worked 25 watt stations from both coasts, often using "mediocre" receivers that some would turn their noses up at.We have transmitters here from the 2 watt Retro 75 and 40 up to the legal limit.  Have worked other Retro 75s at several hundred  miles..Retro to Retro, 2 Watter to 2 Watter . It is great fun.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:20 PM »

I've always centered on the audio quality first. Then you can show the diversity from rice boxes to mil surplus, broadcast transmitters to Class E, and everything in between.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »

Be sure to start out with an atomic belch into the mic.  Soak it good.  First impressions are so important...

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 10:52:39 PM »

Diagrams and waveform pictures can be lifted copyright-free from military manuals.

Plate modulation is always the star but also discussing low power mod methods like and cathode/grid.. and definitely touch on  "modern" methods, illustrate by a PDM or PWM scheme.
Many technical folks who know little about AM will readily recognize switching-power-supply-like methods.

A unique way to present AM generated at a low level, to the SSB-users, is to present SSB as in a balanced modulator, then show that a carrier is injected for AM-compatible, and also that both filters can be switched in. SSB users can understand then how their rigs can be made to produce a real AM signal.

Lastly, does the ARRL offer any AM training material for public use?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 11:10:23 PM »

Of course, don't forget to tell them about the Gold Medallion license endorsement for AM, it always looks so much better than the "regular" license... many hams don't know about it...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WB2CAU

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 11:14:23 PM »

Lastly, does the ARRL offer any AM training material for public use?

Now, THAT'S funny!!!!  Who said hams didn't have a sense of humor?  Grin

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 11:17:37 PM »

http://www.arrl.org/am-phone-operating-and-activities
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 11:38:47 PM »

http://www.arrl.org/am-phone-operating-and-activities

Hey, they did a good job with the new website layout. Nice AM info there too.

Steve, you were so innocent before you got corrupted by these AM gangsters.

* The HUZMAN.jpg (3.4 KB, 101x142 - viewed 593 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 03:09:31 AM »

You can also apply for the WAS award, working all 50 states on AM phone, and get recognition for it on the award certificate.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Worked%20All%20States/wasapp2011.pdf

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015