The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:04:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: While we are on the subject of AM...  (Read 4660 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« on: July 11, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »

A well-produced video from a bunch of my cronies on the West Coast. Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89G3_XqM28U

73DG

ps...Not derived from meaningless net surfing!

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:08:48 PM »

Very nice. Reminds me of a video VJB and I did up for the AM Forum at Dayton back around 2000 or so. Lots of big AM BC transmitters!

Thanks for sharing.
KA3EKH

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »

I got a broadcast transmitter at home that I use on 160, have the Volumax AM and a General Radio mod monitor too but cannot see any way that I would want a full size production console when you got only one input to the audio chain. I have a little M-67 in a rack mount and that has more inputs then I need and what do you do with eight or ten inputs and a huge console other then look at it? Well maybe that’s just me but have to say my views are distorted being that when I first started in radio I had to work on many of those old vacuum tube consoles and by that point in the seventies they all sucked! The very best tube console was not equal to the mid and low end solid state ones at least by then considering the old RCA and Gates stuff had always been hacked, modified and beaten on by generations of jocks and engineers. Tubes would fail, become microphonic and hum was a constant problem and I do not miss cleaning those Davene pots. The video was good though, looks like they got lots of time on their hands out there in CA, none of my videos are near that level of production!
Ray F
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »

Very nice. Reminds me of a video VJB and I did up for the AM Forum at Dayton back around 2000 or so. Lots of big AM BC transmitters!

Thanks for sharing.

Has it been that long ago?  Geez.  Yeah, you did quite well putting that one together, especially given how far software has come since then to compile the elements. I mean, check out the production techniques and overlays used. Very impressive, couldn't imagine those tricks 10 years ago.

I really enjoyed the combination of stillphotos, audio and video, and have sent it around to some people as the narrator advocated.

Lots more good stuff scrolling through the website too:

http://radionational.org/

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:56:27 AM »

I can't even open the files now. The newer versions of SW don't recognize the old files. Too bad. I'd like to put up that vid, even if just for historical purposes. I do have a VHS copy (olf buzzard tape for old buzzard radios).
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:18:20 AM »

Dennis,

Thanks for sharing and you can tell, those guys have the passion as well! 
Extremely well done!

Steve & Paul,
It would be great to see the video you guys did back in 2000 for the Dayton Hamfester.  I have a VHS to DVD recorder if that would help.  I am sure others have more advanced computer based copying schemes. 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:02:02 PM »

Excellent video, Dennis. As others said, thanks for sharing it. Nice to see others out there preserving and enjoying the old BC stuff on the air.

I've got a 212A console awaiting its turn to be serviced and hooked up. Interesting history behind it, a number of classic Bluegrass tunes were recorded with it and the late Jerry Falwell got his start using it at a station here in NC. Ironic part is that I bought it while living up north and had it shipped there, only to return it to NC a few years later when I moved south.

Gotta go see if I can find the transmitter video they referenced. Sounds like another good flick.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:43:11 PM »

SUPERBLY done video..............It has inspired me to RE-install my Ampro board back into the station. It's not a Gatesway or one of the other classics, but a nice board with wood trim and big beautiful VU meters.
I found a nice picture and almost cry.......it was the best location for very high antennas and the most amassed AM transmitters ever in MOP history!!!!! You can see the audio console partially.

And OK on just one microphone input used when the board is capable of many inputs......it's the nostalgia and the flavor from the video presentation.

http://www.amwindow.org/pix/htm/kc4mop03/kc4mop1.htm

Thanks for the re-excitement
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 02:54:38 PM »

What some of us do with the big mixers is re-steer things such that each input pot controls the level as usual, but each control switch keys a different TX. 

Audio output is fed to all TX thru an audio DA.  That way you can set audio levels as needed and leave them where you like.

Another use of the facility is switchable multiple monitor inputs, routed to various RX in the shack.  Muting is taken care of that way, and listening levels are easily controlled.

Puts a whole new spin on QSY.

If one is lucky to have multiple rigs, that is. Cool

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »

Fred,
Love those pictures of the former MOP radio!
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015