The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:16:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet connection speed test  (Read 27354 times)
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »

But I wouldn't trade this quiet life in the country for a fast fiber connection in the city. :-)

How far are you from the central office? I think the magic number is 16,000 feet but I'm way over that and generally have quite good service except when there is a thunderstorm within 20 miles.

I would ask them to do a speed check at different points to your house.

I guess when they put up those 40,000 new WiFi towers, some of us may have a better on line experience? Of course at the same time we'll not be able to find our way due to interference with GPS systems.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 08:18:27 PM »

When I was on dial-up I was amazed that I did 26 kbps 4 1/2 miles from the central office, which shouldn't be possible if all wire.

It turned out that there was a repeater or concentrator as one phone guy called it about 1/2 mile from here linked to the CO with T1 or fiber.  So the wire pair haul was only that first 1/2 mile.

I was fortunate that this specifc rural area was offered FIOS as early as it was 2 1/2 years ago.  DSL was not available here but was nearby.  I guess they had planned to put FIOS in here and stopped working to get DSL service available here.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 09:25:58 PM »

Verizon FiOS

New York:

Download:  30.79 Mbps

Upload:  20.57 Mbps

Hard to beat the fiber!!! People from other countries would die for our slowest DSL here. And and the reliability. When we were in the Philippines the internet never got too much above 2mbs down and 200K up. Most of the times it was equal to dial-up.
Some cable systems there are delivering close to what we have here, but not many.

I'm paying $64/ month for Comcast internet. And the speed test which is just a burst test BTW. Any ISP will look good with "Speed Test"
I saw 15 down and 3 up.
I got tired of the DSL and having to reset the roooter all the time. Steve 'QIX' says it's a rooter not a rOUter........hi

Fred KC4MOP
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »

Rob said:
33.85 Mbps download and 8.49 Mbps upload to Washington DC at 11:30AM on Sunday using Cox for my ISP. It used to drop significantly when Anthony Weiner was tweeting

Blaine said:
Download Speed: 31950 kbps (3993.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 8369 kbps (1046.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Those are blazing speeds, especially the uploads at 8.5 Mbps.   Over six years with this Comcast cable, I have never seen more than 25M down and  3.5M up.  Considering you both are also in CT, I'd say this Comcast is slower, but that's OK.  

Eric, you're really smoking on the uploads too at 20Mbps, cheezz..

From what I read, FIOS, fiber optic, runs at about 1-2 Gbps rates?  Maybe they are talking these numbers with all 35 pairs combined, I dunno.

Thanks for all the input, guys.  I can see we are all over the place on the service speeds.  I just wanted to get an idea of what's out there these days.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 10:05:38 PM »

Good topic, I hope it continues  Grin Grin Grin Many people are using the internet to operate their Smug wireless machines. Gotta keep it ham radio related  Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »

Here's the Cox internet pitch:

Which option suits you?     Essential             Preferred                    Premier                   Ultimate
Good for...                   Email & Surfing    Music & Photos        Gaming & Movies    Gamers, multiple connections
Download speeds up to        3 Mbps              16 Mbps                    24 Mbps                    50 Mbps
Upload speeds up to            768 Kbps              4 Mbps                   4 Mbps                     5 Mbps
PowerBoost® Download up to    -                20 Mbps                  30 Mbps                         55 Mbps

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/rhodeisland/internet/ultimate-internet.cox?campcode=ln_internet_ult_0329

Comcast's web site is so busy with stuff, the only thing I found on internet speed was this: "Download speeds up to 20 Mbps with PowerBoost®". There may be more info up there somewhere.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »

Depends on the time of day and the server. Right now (past the peak of local use) it's 29.09 Mbps download and 6.65 Mbps upload. It will be less than that earlier in the day and probably a little faster at say 2 AM.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 11:44:04 PM »

I get decent service with comcast biz class interwebs. Nothing to complain about yet anyway.  Wink

On edit: I do live on a main road and I'm right near their whatchyamacallit.

* test.JPG (13.31 KB, 300x135 - viewed 380 times.)

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 12:45:02 AM »

Wow!  You don't do ANYTHING halfway, do ya?

OK, Jared, you got the biggest pecker in this matching contest  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KB3DKS

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011, 01:29:04 AM »

Here in N.Adams MA, my Time Warner/Roadrunner speed indicates about exactly
the same as Steve's,WA2TTP Roadrunner service clocked at. NYC 19.16 down, .98 up.
This is with only one computer up on my network thru a Linksys router off the cable modem.
But I have to wonder just how revealing that test is since there have been large downloads that took a second or two to come up to speed or drop speed 20-30%
before settling in. Uploading performance appears to act the same with sometimes a second +/- to settle down at a solid speed. This may just be the sending or receiving party machine lockin but....

Bill
W0BTU

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2011, 08:02:32 AM »

But I wouldn't trade this quiet life in the country for a fast fiber connection in the city. :-)

How far are you from the central office? ... I would ask them to do a speed check at different points to your house.

From the CO, 10 miles; but I don't connect to that; there's a 3' cubical enclosure <2 miles from my house. That contains POTS and DSLAM equipment. The trouble is, it's fed with a 10 Mbps fiber from the CO, which has to be shared among all their customers in this area who connect to it. I've discussed this extensively with the only ISP available here (the local phone company). 768 kbps is the cap, regardless of the distance. At least it's reliable, even if it is slow.

There are no Wi-fi towers around here. I would need a very tall tower with a high-gain array to access the nearest one. The only other option is satellite, which has its own set of issues.

I even inquired into a T1 from various companies, but the lowest price was >$700/mo. and required a 2-year commitment.

73 Mike 
www.w0btu.com
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2011, 08:12:14 AM »

on the link i posted there is another site, www.pingtest.net, that tests connection quality. if you want to test packet loss, you need java on your computer, but everything else will still work if you don't.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »

Comcast Xfinity in NH

24.97 Down 3.68 Up Washington essentially same as New York.

These are the good old days of AM
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »

I only have regular DSL right now. 2.43Mb down, ~750Kbd up. No chance for fios. I'll bet WiFi or WiMax will drop the need for fiber optic lines. Less maintenance and no need to send a crew out after a T-storm drops a tree on the line.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »

Yep, looks like Jared is the channelmaster with almost X8 the average cable speed of the posts.... Shocked  

It appears from the examples posted that most ISP's limit their upload speeds - as shown by the topping out of most tests. My download speeds vary a lot, but the uploads are pretty consistent.

BTW, I recently installled a new  Dell dual processor machine with 4 gig mem,  Win 7 and IE9.   I really like the new Win 7 once used to it.  The 1 terabyte of outboard auto-backup drive is ridiculous at only $65, considering I once paid $1200 for a Radio Shark 20 meg drive the size of a 33 rpm album. This and the flash sticks have made backups a breeze.

I get reasonably seamless video now - it was somewhat broken up in the past due to who knows what. Even if the ISP speed was increased from here, Comcast Xfinity at ~24 Mbps is fast enough for now.  $40/mo is all I want to pay for an ISP.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »

Considering your location, that's excellent speed!

Even if the ISP speed was increased from here, Comcast Xfinity at ~24 Mbps is fast enough for now.

Just tried the test now and got 34.37 Mbps down and 6.79 Mbps up.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »

wow to me all you guys are high speed.  I am the piss weaker with my .07 Mb speed.  The only time it is inconvenient is when I have a big software update to download but then I just leave the machine and go do something else for an hour and come back--no big deal.  But I have to admit I wish I could get the speed I have at my office where I have fiber coming in--Last time I checked I think it was 70 Mb.  Once I had to install an apple developer package that was huge--it was around 30 or 40 Gb and that took around 10 hours to download. Tongue  Then I also installed it on a machine at my office and it took around 15 seconds  Shocked

Here's a little item of mischief to sew seeds of doubt  Wink :  Those speed tests may check initial download speed but they may not reveal whether or not your ISP throttles you back after a minute or two.   But I don't know how to check that other than downloading a 2 hour movie (or apple developer package) as one huge file and see if the speed drops.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 12:33:16 PM »

Tongue With a 200Mb/s connection, the benefit is that pages finish loading before you finish thinking about them. IOW, when I sit down at this compuker, I'll say to myself "Lemmee check the forum." Before I finish thinking about it and reach for the mouse, AMfone is already loaded and ready to go. Not to mention as soon as your hand contacts the mouse, it turns into a ice cold 807.

You guys can have these speeds very easily by taking Comcraps modem and replacing it with a Flex radio. The Flex radios' smugness intensity amplifier will suck all the bandwidth away from everyone else in your neighborhood and give it to you.

Is it the 4th of Jooly, or April 1st.  Grin

My test above is fun with Photochop. My actual speed on comcast biz class is usually around 20-22Mb/s down and 3-4 up with a 21ms ping. Its a hundred a month with TV and telephone.

Id like to know if 200Mb/s is even possible over 75ohm.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »

Those are blazing speeds, especially the uploads at 8.5 Mbps.   Over six years with this Comcast cable, I have never seen more than 25M down and  3.5M up.  Considering you both are also in CT, I'd say this Comcast is slower, but that's OK.  

Tom,

If it interests you, check to see if Comcast has rolled out DOCSIS 3.0 at your location. Last summer, I replaced my old DOCSIS 2.0 modem with a Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem that takes advantage of multiple channel bonding on the downstream. My connection speed consistency and ping performance to remote servers improved remarkably as a result.

The speedtest.net result shown below to a New Jersey server demonstrates the PowerBoost feature with three downstream channels bonded. When I am pulling binaries from the news servers l see +70 Mbps down for the first ten seconds, then it drops back to a steady 25 Mbps for the duration of the download. With multiple channels available for the modem to negotiate transfers with, there is very little change in my downstream at any given time throughout the day and week.

The best part of DOCSIS 3.0 (in my opinion) is the effect it has with online gaming. Pings to the game servers drop remarkably, often to under 20ms, and remain consistently low. When I'm battling all those cat-quick college kids in COD Black-Ops I can't afford any latency-caused-delays when I snap my AK-47 up and fire a stream of death at the enemy.

:O)

* 74mbps download.jpg (12.14 KB, 299x128 - viewed 365 times.)

* 74mbps powerboost.jpg (1.84 KB, 185x56 - viewed 334 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 03:16:33 PM »

Jared, You had me going.  I was going to photoshop yours and top you but you let the cat out of the bag.  Nice job! Wink

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2011, 03:44:20 PM »

Stupid question time. Why is upload speed not as fast as download speed? Seems to me just about any modern computer and modem would be capable of much higher upload speed. So what is the reason for this? Thanks

Mike
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »

Stupid question time. Why is upload speed not as fast as download speed? Seems to me just about any modern computer and modem would be capable of much higher upload speed. So what is the reason for this? Thanks

Mike

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/bandwidth_about.asp

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/broadband/help/how-fast-is-my-broadband-upload-speed-download-speed-and-speed-test

dated info, but still useful: http://news.cnet.com/Ups-and-downs-of-consumer-broadband/2100-1034_3-5810534.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA9UDW

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2011, 05:47:41 PM »

Pee Eee Eee Iss Weak from central Wisconsin to Chicago, on $10/mo. dial-up.

* Speed Test - 2011-07-04 - Chicago - 430pm.jpg (4.87 KB, 283x44 - viewed 337 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »

Terry thanks, now I don't feel so uh...inadequate  Grin  Now I feel merely inadequate without the italics.

Although it doesn't count, I went to the office to do some things to get ready for the week and did the speedtest.net thing and got 94.21 Mb down and 57.51 up ping in 4 ms grade A+ faster than 99% of US.  If only I could get that at home for $20/month  Cheesy

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WQ9E

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2011, 10:21:50 PM »

1.92 down, .71 up using wireless provider with the access point located on the village grain elevator about 3 miles away.  (if you are the proverbial flying crow)

It will be a long time before real high speed internet makes it this far out although the wireless provider may be providing somewhat higher speed options soon.  Back in the dial up days anything over 20K was great out here-I think the underground phone lines were buried by the dinosaurs shortly before extinction. 

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015