The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:17:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: estate  (Read 11658 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »

It's in Irving, TX, and is by appointment, not open for the masses to tramp through like a garage sale.

PM me for the phone #.

They don't want it going to the landfill either. I was under the impression the local ham clubs were notified but maybe only the Irving one.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 11:25:59 AM »

When I'm dead ,I won't give a $hit about all my stuff....I'll be dead...........I give away as much as I can now.

Most of this stuff will last longer than we will.  In some cases, several times longer. We should think of ourselves as stewards, to use and care for it, until we pass on or lose interest, just as we would a homestead.  Then, it should be forwarded (sold or given away) to someone else who will use and care for it, not tossed in the dump.

You don't have to clear out your inventory while you are still alive and active and thus deprive yourself of the benefits of it. It's not that difficult to let members of your family or your circle of friends know what is not junk, that someone else might appreciate it after you disappear off the earth, and  leave behind  some kind of contact information.

A lot did go to  the dump in droves back during the 70s and 80s, as the old timers who grew up in the 20s and 30s  were dropping like flies.  Unfortunately, at that time, the interest in "vintage" hadn't caught on and the AM come-back was still somewhat in its infancy, and most hams on the air at that time had swallowed the "state of the fart"  and "new is good; old is bad" propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:58 AM »

Most of this stuff will last longer than we will.  In some cases, several times longer.

At the hamfest I went to last weekend there was a guy selling vintage AM broadcast receivers (there were a bunch of these types there because it was a joint fest including members of the Antique Wireless Assn. IIRC) and he said something to the effect that the old vacuum tubes don't last.  I quickly pointed out to him that they don't last if you run an old table radio at current line voltage and keep the back of the set fastened on insuring the interior gets hot as hell with the 50 v. filament audio tube in there.   I told him if you use some thermistors to hold the cold filament inrush, and run a set with the back off and on a variac or step down transformer the tubes will last longer than we will.  No one is making those octal AA5 tubes now and I was kind of surprised he didn't know about ways to preserve them.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015