The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:39:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More on the evil plot of RF noise...  (Read 12055 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« on: June 27, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »

A good read mentioning hams & SWL's:

http://www.radioworld.com/article/johnston-laments-fm-noise/23733

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »

Thanks for posting this. That's a very nice summary of what many hams now experience, especially if they live in an area with little separation between homes. Direct radiation from unfiltered switching devices and the propagation of the RF noise they emit along the power distribution lines is very difficult to escape if you don't have a "back 40" to plant your antennas in. The statement below certainly hits the target rather painfully.

"The fact that these manufacturing abuses can happen indicates to me that the regulatory agencies involved may have lost control of the situation."

What I find more troubling is this thought:  Do these regulatory agencies even care?

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »

Good read

When I was in business, some of what I did was to trace interferences to TV reception.  Over the 45+ years of this work I found everything from soup to nuts causing interference of all sorts.

No all was noise, a lot of RF type problems.

I found that about half of the noise problems were from power lines and the same amount from problems inside buildings.

Tracing noise from power lines had its own set of problems.  If you call the power company, they would check for noise at the location of the complaint.  Very often the noise source was nowhere near that address.  It could be a half a mile or more from the complaining customer.

I had my own method for locating power line noise and never failed to correctly locate it.  Even when the power company disagreed.

Noise that would have shown up in an analog TV picture doesn't bother a DTV picture.  Although, I'm sure if the noise was close enough and strong enough it could interfer with DTV reception.

Fred
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:08:42 PM »

What was your method?  I have several powerline related noise issues here, I could use a sure-fire technique.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »

I don't know about Fred, but what I do is start out covering the neighborhood in my car with the AM rx on 1710.  this is a start but only helps if the source is really nearby and you drive by a pole where the noise is really raw.  But if I get a few suspects I go back on foot with a HF rx and a VHF airband AM rx.   sometimes I can get it down to a pole that way.   If I'm really lucky I can actually hear the arc noise standing near the pole. 

What stinks is the prob. can suddenly vanish with a change in wx; or it crops up when it is dark and cold out and walking around at night when it is 15 degrees is no fun;   Or it turns out to be a street light, which is a different kind of problem.   Every year we go through relatively warm moist wx in summer and I kind of forget about this.  Then the first fall night it cools down and the humidy drops there's line noise all over poping up like spring dandelions. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:33:02 PM »

I've done the car thing, I have a quarter mile of line that is radiating raw ac hash. It may be more than one pole in this line but it will completely wipe out the strong local BC station, and makes operations somewhat tough on HF.  I have a scanner that will monitor the Aviation bands which are 2-meter am so I gotta make up a battery pack for it and a two meter yagi to pick out the noise sources.

man the neighbors will really love THAT look around the 'hood! 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WD8KDG

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09:55:16 PM »

One thing to keep in mind when chasing the RFI source; it (source) could be coupled to the support cable used to hold up the telephone/TV cable lines.

This issue kept me scratching my head for a while till I found a place where power distribution lines and telephone/cable services separated. Then it dawned on me the support cable was acting like a long wire antenna which carried the hash all over the neighborhood.

As mentioned before in another thread, spoke with the neighbor where the source is located. No dice/happyness there. Filed a complaint in June 2010. The FCC agent from Vancouver, WA was here for about 10 minutes last April 2011, but the source wasn't on at the time. Agent left and hasn't been back.

Gud luck in getting anything done about RFI.

Craig,

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »

Good read

When I was in business, some of what I did was to trace interferences to TV reception.  Over the 45+ years of this work I found everything from soup to nuts causing interference of all sorts.

I found that about half of the noise problems were from power lines and the same amount from problems inside buildings.

Tracing noise from power lines had its own set of problems.  If you call the power company, then would check for noise at the location of the complaint.  Very often the noise source was nowhere near that address.  It could be a half a mile from the complaining customer.

I had my own method for locating power line noise and never failed to correctly locate it.  Even when the power company disagreed.

Noise that would have shown up in an analog TV picture doesn't bother a DTV picture.  Although, I'm sure if the noise was close enough and strong enough it could interfer with DTV reception.

Fred

Noise that would show up on an analog tv picture does not show up on a digital tv picture but it most certainly can and does lower SNR. This is one of the problems with some DTV stations going back to VHF.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »

Every year we go through relatively warm moist wx in summer and I kind of forget about this.  Then the first fall night it cools down and the humidy drops there's line noise all over poping up like spring dandelions. 

Like clockwork. Just about the time the summer static has finally faded away and the bands become usable again, the power lines start acting up.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 10:53:19 PM »

<<<man the neighbors will really love THAT look around the 'hood! >>>

Been there.  Walking around lugging a yagi, HT, headphones at night...cop car drives by sloooooowly ...I'm trying to be obvious in not pointing the yagi at houses.....

Every year we go through relatively warm moist wx in summer and I kind of forget about this.  Then the first fall night it cools down and the humidy drops there's line noise all over poping up like spring dandelions. 

Like clockwork. Just about the time the summer static has finally faded away and the bands become usable again, the power lines start acting up.

yep, and then, when everyone is having a ball working each other, you're blowing operating time chasing a power line noise.  I got fed up with that and decided to focus on working out antenna nulling methods.  receive antennas that are shielded or oriented so I can get a halfway decent S/N ratio.  I'd be tickled pink with a S5 noise level.  I work enough guys who strap above that I could just pot down the RF gain to get rid of the noise.   We're just not going to win this under the circumstances by running around trying to snuff out noise sources, not when all these wall warts are coming in with no filtering at all.  Like that guy in the article said, 4 out of 5 switching supply engineers he talked to said their companies don't care about filtering.  The things we can control are receiving methods and strapping power. 

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 01:11:31 AM »

A huge din is created by the alarm system and video surveillance here. I can't exactly rip that out unless I want to go from tactics to battle with the local dope fiends. Had some luck with clamp on ferrites but it's the lousy cheap coax cables supplied with the units.

A huge 14.318 signal comes from my neighbor's house. Not sure what to do there, they are not inclined to care much because it's 'not their fault' what the TV or other electronics do, and they didn't understand what I was explaining anyway. I do not want to make a bad neighbor because from time to time they let me use their driveway to load weighty items meaning I don't have to start and move a 25000 lb diesel truck.

There is an intermittent huge power line noise that blots out most of 80M but I've never been able to locate it to a pole. As a wise poster already said, it could be some distance away.

I am working with CENELEC band power line modems at work but don't start throwing the rotten veggies yet, it's all below 143KHz and no higher in the USA than 500KHz (thanks to the FCC? we allow power line modems above 143KHz?) and each one has a low pass filter built as part of its bandpass unit. I took an HF RX into the lab just to see what was there, no problems with our reference designs.

None of the interference situations are getting any better for hams.

No one cares about noise, only making things cheaper for themselves for convenience or profit. Only complaints to the utility or FCC will get any action.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
n1exi

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 07:59:24 AM »

here at this qth summer noise peaks 9+20 - 40 meters usually has a window in the morning - higher bands when conditions permit actually are quite fun to operate! - cw mostly but hey! - without modulation - there still be conversation
greg
K3ZS

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 09:00:48 AM »

For power line noise you can pinpoint it to the pole using an ultrasonic detector.   Look up a QST article by W1TRC (SK) in the QST archives.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »

I've done the car thing, I have a quarter mile of line that is radiating raw ac hash. It may be more than one pole in this line but it will completely wipe out the strong local BC station, and makes operations somewhat tough on HF.  I have a scanner that will monitor the Aviation bands which are 2-meter am so I gotta make up a battery pack for it and a two meter yagi to pick out the noise sources.

man the neighbors will really love THAT look around the 'hood! 

I had the same thing happen to me last Winter. It was about a 1/2 mile away from the house. Very broad hash sound. Then it would stop!. I kept looking and one night it quit while I was driving around. And I noticed that the noise suddenly appeared, and a street lamp caught my eye that suddenly turned on.
So, I parked a little distance to watch the suspect and noticed that well after it re-started, that the terrible hash was back and then the lamp went out and the noise went away. I got on line to Penn Power and got into their automated street lamp outage report and a day later they called me from their truck to say that the entire assembly had to be replaced. 3 days later all was goodness.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »

I have had great luck using a 3-element hand held yagi (cut for the aircraft band) and a small radio shack portable scanner listening in the aircraft band.  Of course the receiver operates on AM in the aircraft band, so it hears powerline crapola just fine.  I use a variable attenuator in the coax from the antenna to the reciever, and switch in more and more attenuation as I approach the suspect pole.  Check from several directions to be sure it points to the same pole each time.

I'd say defective lightning arrestors are probably 70% of the problems I've seen, with hardware and insulators making up most of the rest.  In order to lower your "profile" with the police and other nosey folks, purchase and wear a hard hat.  You will look "official" and be under the radar of most of the rest of the curious.

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »

Like that guy in the article said, 4 out of 5 switching supply engineers he talked to said their companies don't care about filtering.  The things we can control are receiving methods and strapping power.  

If the FCC would only do the job we the taxpayers are paying them to do. Like someone here on the board said, it's not unusual to open some of this consumer junk and find holes in the circuit board for the filtering circuitry, but the components are missing. Once the unit passed certification, they just started leaving out the filtering components on the production runs. Or you get the FCC people on the scene and they say "yes, the noise exceeds Part 15 limits. Put up a better receiving antenna", or like the case of the noise-generating traffic light, they just walk away and say it's in violation but they aren't going to take any action. Janet Jackson's boob is a far greater menace to the public interest, convenience and necessity than is ubiquitous RF noise pollution.

If the broadcast industry with all its money is having such little success in getting the "proper authorities" to deal with this problem, what hope is there for a few thousand radio amateurs?

Strap softly and turn up the wick.

Wonder how much rf you would have to pump directly into the a.c. power mains to kill a few unfiltered switching power supplies.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »

" You will look "official" and be under the radar of most of the rest of the curious.  "

* CD.JPG (18.21 KB, 194x259 - viewed 343 times.)

What? Me worry?
KA2DZT

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 03:13:34 AM »

Good read

When I was in business, some of what I did was to trace interferences to TV reception.  Over the 45+ years of this work I found everything from soup to nuts causing interference of all sorts.

Tracing noise from power lines had its own set of problems.  If you call the power company, then would check for noise at the location of the complaint.  Very often the noise source was nowhere near that address.  It could be a half a mile from the complaining customer.

I had my own method for locating power line noise and never failed to correctly locate it.  Even when the power company disagreed.

Noise that would have shown up in an analog TV picture doesn't bother a DTV picture.  Although, I'm sure if the noise was close enough and strong enough it could interfer with DTV reception.

Fred

Noise that would show up on an analog tv picture does not show up on a digital tv picture but it most certainly can and does lower SNR. This is one of the problems with some DTV stations going back to VHF.

Dave, you're right.  What I was trying to say was that analog TV would show even low level noise.  Noise at that level or really any level doesn't show up in the DTV picture as it was seen on an analog picture.  Of course, noise on the signal lowers the SNR and could cause the DTV to not work at all.

Fred

PS. My wife is complaining again that CH 4 has been off the air early AM.  She is missing her programs.  I'm taking the heat over this.  I told her that I'll pass along the complaint to the proper personnel.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 10:52:38 AM »

" You will look "official" and be under the radar of most of the rest of the curious.  "

Does he have his trusty A.M. radio with the two designated CD freqs???

http://home.comcast.net/~morrised2006/jpgs/RCA~GT1.jpg

I have one of these and it sounded great!!! My dad would always get angry if I turned it on at home cuz the battery was $50.00........circa 1961. "Never use a battery operated radio in the house" he proclaimed!!!

Fred KC4MOP
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 05:41:18 PM »

<<<PS. My wife is complaining again that CH 4 has been off the air early AM.  She is missing her programs.  I'm taking the heat over this.  I told her that I'll pass along the complaint to the proper personnel.>>>

If you are on the edge of a station's outlying coverage area you'll probably notice it disappears in warm wx.  the problems are that the digital signal is much more vulnerable to three things:  ground clutter, "tree sway" and rain.  Ground clutter is obviously buildings; tree sway is foliage moving in the wind.  When leaves get wet from rain it's even worse.  The ground clutter alone may be okay (it's there in winter after all) but it combined with leaves, leaves moving in the wind and finally wet leaves moving in the wind will kill a DTV signal.

Another complete no-go:  indoor antennas.  We have a lot of people out here who used to do fine with attic TV antennas.  With DTV they just don't work.  It's hard to convice these folks that they have to get their antenna out and up higher, and it has to be bigger. 

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 06:51:29 PM »

Another complete no-go:  indoor antennas.  We have a lot of people out here who used to do fine with attic TV antennas.  With DTV they just don't work.  It's hard to convice these folks that they have to get their antenna out and up higher, and it has to be bigger. 

Hmmm, maybe I can use this to convince the XYL that we really need a 100ft tower in the back yard for the TEEE VEEE reception. 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
KA2DZT

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 12:30:08 AM »

<<<PS. My wife is complaining again that CH 4 has been off the air early AM.  She is missing her programs.  I'm taking the heat over this.  I told her that I'll pass along the complaint to the proper personnel.>>>

If you are on the edge of a station's outlying coverage area you'll probably notice it disappears in warm wx.  the problems are that the digital signal is much more vulnerable to three things:  ground clutter, "tree sway" and rain.  Ground clutter is obviously buildings; tree sway is foliage moving in the wind.  When leaves get wet from rain it's even worse.  The ground clutter alone may be okay (it's there in winter after all) but it combined with leaves, leaves moving in the wind and finally wet leaves moving in the wind will kill a DTV signal.

Rob,

I installed and serviced TV antenna systems for 45+ years.  I'm now retired from that work.

Dave W2VW is the main engineer for CH 4 transmitters in NY.  Major work is being done to the xmtr equipment.  They carry out this work from about 2AM to early morning from what Dave tells me.  Very often they have to shut down the xmtrs to do the work.

Fred
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »

Hi Fred,

FB; didn't know you installed TV antennas.  Now with DTV if the signal drops into the noise a viewer just sees a black screen with "No Signal" so they often assume the station is QRT.   I  pictured your wife getting up early every day and not getting Ch. 4 because of that and thinking they are off the air, but they really are.  Just like 50 years ago when stations went off every night.

Rob

KA3EKH

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »

A DTV (8VSB) demodulator starts working with a signal around twelve to thirteen dB above the noise floor. If the signal falls below that you get nothing, if the signal is above that you don’t see any difference in the picture. So the FCC in their wisdom figured that the DTV broadcasters only needed a fraction of the power they were running on analog and adjusted the TPO/ERP numbers down. For the UHF broadcasters that’s no big deal, actually save lots of money. The one television station I work for went from a dual IOT transmitter running 60 kW with an ERP of 2.8 million down to a little solid state transmitter running 4.8 kW with an ERP 192 kW for the same coverage.  UHF stations were use to running high power and the noise floor on UHF is lower but VHF stations were limited to 50 kW ERP on low band and 312 kW on VHF high band so with the reductions to the VHF stations they are way more prone to terrestrial noise and interference. What's worse is many of the old legacy broadcasters on VHF had their DTV channels on UHF and had good coverage with their UHF D channel but after the big turn off they migrated back to their VHF channel and then discovered that no one can pick them up. The interesting thing about this is that in DTV all the channel identifying information is virtual and the actual channel means almost nothing so if they stayed with their UHF channel they can still call themselves whatever channel they want and it makes no difference to the viewer. Don’t think anyone realized that VHF DTV was going to suck so much. Another interesting thing is back in the nineties when I attended the Zenith DTV song and dance school the engineers their used a calibrated 8VSB(DTV) signal generator with a fixed output and had a wide band noise source that was mixed with its output and by varying the noise source up and down were able to demonstrate the relationship between noise floor and signal level so to simulate decreased signal they would mix in more noise and increase the level of the noise floor as opposed to reducing the signal level from the generator and at the time I thought this was the stupidest thing ever but over time have come to think it just the same as reducing signal level. If you're wondering what all this may have to do with AM remember that analog television was AM also.
Ray F
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »

Hi Ray, yep I had heard some of that but not all of it, thanks for the summary--I also heard FCC came up with the ERP and S/N = coverage area based on the idea of a viewer having an antenna 30 feet up but the ground clutter data they had from maps was from the early days of TV and is about 50 to 60 years out of date.  IOW land areas that were open then are all built up now.  

I got by before with a small LP on a 20 foot mast.   It almost works in winter.   I'm going to be putting up a big Winegard 14' boom antenna on a 25 foot aluminum tube and feed it with some 75 ohm 1/2 inch hardline I have and hope I get some better signal in summer.  It as 60 or 70 elements and a 10 to 13 dBd depending on what part of the TV band I'm on.   I'm about 40 miles out from Sears and Hancock but I'm also down in a river valley so I won't be surprised if it still stinks, even with a preamp.  I may have to  go higher.  Or quit watching TV  Cheesy  I've quit watching it now anyway.   Who needs TV when you have RADIO!   Wink I'm basically a radio guy.  I love radio.  TV is a waste of time (unless it is giving you a paycheck).

Rob

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015