The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:32:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power grid change may disrupt clocks  (Read 27385 times)
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »

Checked out Ms. Dennerlin's playing... if anyone cares for a review?

No doubt she can play the Hammond technically very well.
However, she can't play like Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff, Groove Holmes,
Jack McDuff or a number of others... since she covers a number of well known tunes, there's a basis for direct comparisons.

I wanted to like her, since the number of currently working B-3 masters is very thin...

Joey DeFrancesco is another player that I really want to like...

Can't.

Great players, fine technically, by that I mean the notes are all there, but there's no soul. The solos don't seem to have any focus, they're kinda flat all the way through. There's no tension so no release. Doesn't grab me at all.

Ah well... whatcha gonna do. At least there is the record that these past masters left behind.

_-_-bear

PS. these are just my opinions, feel free to enjoy Ms. Dennerlin's playing.

Yup, same for me!

Technically great but no soul.

The couple linked to "tonewheeldude" were great though!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KC2TAU

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2011, 01:43:02 PM »

This thread has been really amazing..............there are a lot of musical folks around here, who appreciate all types of music and have even preformed in bands or small combos. And actually play a musical instrument. Hooray for you!!!
I regret having no interest in music when my dad was trying to teach me clarinet.
Maybe there is hope to learn and accomplish something at 65?HuhHuhHuh?
And other discoveries of folks loving photography too.

Fred

It's never too late to start. My great grandmother taught herself accordion when she was in early 80's and before she passed away when she was in her mid 90's she could play.
WA3VJB
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2011, 03:11:45 PM »

I just saw a group this past weekend.   They had what sounded like a B3, but only the top part.   It was a big old wood box with the back exposed.  
http://www.myspace.com/chrisvipond/photos/76825243

Yeah, the "top" is the most important part.

That's what's left of a B, alright, instantly identified by the quadrafoil design on the top side of the furniture. There are some great pictures in there -- the B&W for one thing, plus the visceral scent of sweaty women, spilt beer and a sticky floor.

Back before Hammond stopped making the B & C and other tone wheel models in 1974, many, many examples of the B3 had their legs sawed off, road handles attached, and the top of the lid knocked off so someone could put an auxiliary keyboard on top.  (there's a lip on the hinged lid that covers the leading edge of the lower manual that's nearly always missing)

The original wood finish was typically spray-painted flat black to hide the cigarette burns and beer rings, and thus you had a "roadworthy"  Hammond, set to go.  All 900 lbs of it.

Of course, people today are aghast, but it's very much like the folks who ripped out the modulator deck on "old" tube transmitters so they'd have a lighter CW rig or whatever. I mean, who uses AM anymore ?  A modern plastic radio is the same, just like an electronic "keyboard,"  ah-hehnh !

And to Bear's comment --

Checked out Ms. Dennerlin's playing... if anyone cares for a review?

No doubt she can play the Hammond technically very well.

I mean the notes are all there, but there's no soul. The solos don't seem to have any focus, they're kinda flat all the way through. There's no tension so no release. Doesn't grab me at all.
                          _-_-bear

I got the same impression. At least she's not reading sheet music to play, but yes, she seemed very mechanical. Precise, but sterile.

In the same thinking, a good drummer isn't really noticed, but the obnoxious ones with too many trills stand out, and not in a good way. Once heard in a club, by the joint's owner or manager, "Okay you musicians and the drummer, set up over here ..." 

Yet, good or bad, a drummer really can't be "replaced" by a drum machine. The small variance of a human's playing, responding to the rest of the band, is magic.  Just like Doppler out of the Leslie. You know it when it's fake. Same with tone wheel musical notes.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2011, 03:54:19 PM »

AAAAHEM
here is some easy info on the B3 and turning it on. Hi!.......spring loaded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopUp1qBbJ4&feature=fvwrel

Fred KC4MOP
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »

AAAAHEM

and a look at the heart of a Hammond (in this case an H model), the tone generator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qqmr6IiFLE&feature=related

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
WA3VJB
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 05:39:53 PM »

AAAAHEM

That's right Fred, the START switch is spring loaded. The RUN switch is not. That's why it stays up.

Also there's a good frame or two showing the "lip" on the lid that's missing from most of them. Of course it gets in the way of your auxiliary plastic keyboard.

And peek-a-boo -- there's one, of a pair of 6550 showing in that Leslie.  A proper band always points the Leslie with the horns toward the audience so they can SEE the mojo going on.  That's a revolving baffle next to the amp, with some black silk or cloth mesh on it to keep the odd beer bottle from reaching its mark as it spins around.

To N0WEK -- that's a good discussion of the tone generator you posted. It occured to me while I was watching it run that it resembles the gear train in the R390(A).

Same lubrication needs, too.

It was tedious but very satisfying to give the old girl a drink now and again. The little funnels that took it into the trough, with the threads to "wick" just like he described.  Still have a can of l'essence ...

* lip.jpg (357.94 KB, 1025x661 - viewed 390 times.)

* 6550.jpg (439.94 KB, 1041x749 - viewed 381 times.)

* Hammond Oil.jpg (731.31 KB, 4354x2555 - viewed 520 times.)
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »

Back to the topic at hand ..

Eimac has always had the best Power Grids of all,  IMHO.   OH,  off  to my corner.

Vic
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2011, 01:46:14 PM »

Ar, ar, ar.  Too funny Grin Grin Grin

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »

This is curious.  Utilities have special power generators just for frequency regulation. It's one of the uses of spinning storage like this one that just came on line in New York, the worlds largest flywheel energy storage. I wonder how they can get away without frequency regulation

Well we went out to dinner the other night with friends and since I was driving, I suggest we visit the site that is causing so much of a buzz, err hum. Well anyhow here are a few pictures I took of the facility. It was surprisingly quiet. It looked like it was running because all the big disconnect were in the on position. Somewhere I read that it will be in full operation early next month but it looked like all the work was done. I'll be back in the area in a few weeks to see if the hum level is up and will kept you all posted.

And you can see more at the link below. The Duffis with the long hair going bald is me. I don't know what the hell I'm so happy about??

https://picasaweb.google.com/Captionmarvelous/POWERFLYWHEELS

* 100_6512.JPG (742.65 KB, 2304x1536 - viewed 403 times.)

* 100_6510.JPG (590.29 KB, 2304x1536 - viewed 359 times.)

* 100_6517.JPG (511.4 KB, 2304x1536 - viewed 394 times.)

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2011, 07:52:48 PM »

"I don't know what the hell I'm so happy about??  "

.....probably 'caus you got two chicks hangin around you.

klc

What? Me worry?
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »

I've met some ladies you definitely could call 'power flywheels' Cool

73DG

John Holotko

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2011, 08:28:52 PM »

What about things like UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) commonly used on computers, servers, workstations, etc.  Apparently in addition to monitoring incoming line voltage they also monitor frequency. For instance, every so often my UPS will switch to battery for a few seconds and the reason giving will be "unacceptable change in line voltage frequency".  How much variation can they tolerate ? Could this possibly cause some UPS's to switch to battery and not come back on line ?

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2011, 09:46:15 PM »

Most smaller (under 5 kVA) UPS (like APS) units are relay-switched, and will not black start.  They need that 60 Hz kick to get going in the beginning.  (All mine are older production)

Those types actually have a few milliseconds of no output, but the usual pc tolerates that dropout.

If you have a unit that will go to work with no power input with just an 'on' command, you have a better/newer brand IMO.

73DG

WA3VJB
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2011, 11:30:03 PM »

All the APC I have will do that -- will cold start with no input power.

600 to 2400 VA capacity range
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015