The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 01:32:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Scops and AM  (Read 13115 times)
KG6UTS
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »

It sucks because as you seem to get close to looking at what you want, how you want it, artifacts and discombobulation fill the screen.
I'm sorry if this seems mean, it is not at you. This kind of thing gets in the way a lot where it's necessary to observe random waveforms but the industry seems to have decided how things are going to be.

That sure wraps it for me!

Just the reasons I kept two Tek 2467B analog 'scopes with the enhancement plate displays....random  events that might be at the sample rate or masked by other 'modern features'. Also took my own 7000 series mainframe to work with plugins. Young guys bring customers through my lab to show them Ed's 'old school' stuff and its good for some giggles....but guess where they come for nasty problems. I do like the new real time spectrum analyzers though. The old Hp 180 series scopes are cheap, easy to find, and make good monitors

EdZ KG6UTS
now in Baja trying to annoy fish
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »

If I knew my boss wouldn't make a fuss, I'd take one of the 7904's to work. They have maybe 15-20 scopes in the local shared lab at work, all digital. I have two digital scopes in my little lab, which is in a corner of their lab.

One is 1Gs/100MHz, a lower/older model than the OP's scope, and one is a 5Gs/1GHz unit. Before I got the 5GS unit, I traveled for training to my department's 'big' lab up north, and spotted a 100MHz TEK analog scope in the corner. I basically begged my boss to let me have that one but I was only allowed to choose from a list of digital scopes excessed from another company facility. It seems they keep that analog beauty around for special occasions! Very wise.

Does anyone have a digital scope with a raster scan color CRT? The 5Gs TEK unit is one of those, but I found out it really has a monochrome CRT and some kind of switchable LCD color filters in front of it. That is very interesting as I thought LCDs were either 'clear' or 'black' due to their polarizing function, not 'clear' or 'tinted'. It's cycling through the colors at some rate. That explains the weird headaches and dizziness from staring at it and lack of image brilliance too.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015