The AM Forum
March 19, 2024, 12:32:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N3DRB - - SK  (Read 63250 times)
K9PNP

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2011, 03:49:31 PM »

Rest in Peace, Derb.

You are now where there is no QRM or pesky static crashes.

Mitch

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »

Man I hate to hear this. I learned much from Derb over the years about ham radio, especially some of the historical aspects. I also learned a lot about life from Derb. He will be greatly missed.

Rest in peace brother and my condolences to Glo.

* N3DRB.mp3 (1436.08 KB - downloaded 405 times.)
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »

73's Tim.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2011, 11:02:26 PM »

Sorry to hear the news about the Derb.

I never got to speak with him over the air but did get to speak with him on the phone one day after one of his treatments at the hospital.

Prayers for Gloria and the family.

Derb has QSYed to a better frequency.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
KC2ZFA

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »

I didn't get the chance to know Derb but from what I've read of his and what
I've heard from Frank I feel his absence.

Sad
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2011, 10:39:46 AM »

Very sad news.
My best wishes for his family and friends at this very sad time.
There is no question he will be missed.

David, K3TUE
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »

Here's a thought. Maybe someone close to Derb both geographically and personally, would be willing to take out a club call sign to preserve N3DRB as the "Derb Memorial Station", which would be used periodically as a special event station, with guest operators invited to participate. If a suitable location could be found, the Raytheon could even be set up and put on the air as a permanent fixture.

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I frequently hear of club stations sporting a deceased member's call sign under the vanity system.  Of course, the best known example is W1AW, established long before the vanity program was ever thought of.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »

Sorry to hear the bad news.

I remember listing to Tim a number of times over the years, and worked him once or twice.

He added life and interest on the radio and here on this board.

We will all miss The Derb!

Dan
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2011, 01:47:47 PM »

I had a long telephone conversation with Timmy back in February when I was in the hospital myself. He told me that there was nothing more that they could do for him and they were going to send him home so he could spend his last few days at home.

Upon hearing this I fell apart. I was in there fighting for my own survival, but I just couldn't handle the thought of him dying. I was no good for a good while after that.
I was in tears for him and he was trying everything that he could to comfort me. that is a phone call that I will never forget.

Surprisingly, he was quite comfortable about facing his own demise. He was good with it and handling the bad news much much better than I did. I think he was just growing tired and weary from the battle.

Some time back he said something to me that will always stay with me till my own end. He said:

"We have been through a lot as friends over the years, and you have never given up on me as a friend. (Timmy could be a bitter pill at times) Thank you for always being there and always being my friend"

Those are words I will carry with me till the end.......................

Timmy you will be severely missed! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1IA

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2011, 12:42:30 AM »

I will miss you Derb....Glo you are in my prayers.

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2011, 11:54:33 AM »

The amazing thing that struck me about Tim was his level of life experience and the accompanying stories. The things he did, places he went, adventures he had. Stories about trips in his old Mercury (Comet?), the radio shop he worked in when he was younger, the rigs he built or owned. As if he was living his 30s-40s in his teens and twenties.

Those who knew him will miss him terribly. Many knew him longer and better than I did. But from what I knew and know of Tim, like Dave/'ZRF, he certainly crammed a lot of living into his brief time on earth. In some ways, he had the wisdom of an 80 year old man. And in other ways, he was still a big kid who enjoyed stirring things up and having fun.

The last time I remember hearing him on the air was on an old Norelco bedside tube radio while visiting VT. He was on with Buddly and a few others raising hell on 80. Derb paused at which time Steve jumped in saying "monkey swing monkey swing monkey swing....", one of Derb's favorite phrases. To which he responded "Yeah, man. Swing that monkey".

Remembering the good times won't change the outcome, but it's a great way to keep him with us for years to come.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2011, 12:27:28 PM »

The last time I remember hearing him on the air was on an old Norelco bedside tube radio while visiting VT. He was on with Buddly and a few others raising hell on 80. Derb paused at which time Steve jumped in saying "monkey swing monkey swing monkey swing....", one of Derb's favorite phrases. To which he responded "Yeah, man. Swing that monkey".

Remembering the good times won't change the outcome, but it's a great way to keep him with us for years to come.

And where pray tell do you think my "Slab Bacon" monicre came from?? That was me and Timmy mixin it up on one of those friday night break-in sessions. He was gettin down with his BJB schtick and I went back to him with "hey big brotha, hey big brotha, I got a grip on yo lip!! Be the Slab Bacon wit da fat meat shakin" And the rest, as they say is history.

Timmy has left a lasting impression on many of us in the AM world of ham radio!!

The black Mercury that he drove was a '62 or 63 Mercury Meteor.

Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2011, 09:22:27 PM »

Rest in peace my black crackle bro.... May the bounty of Thordarsons, Kenyons, and other heavy metal mod and plate iron be at your reach...
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2011, 04:15:03 AM »

Aw crap!   Cry
I'm late to this thread.  (Been away from the board for a while, while I got other things under control.)  I too dreaded seeing this. I'm literally in tears, but I expected it.  For  months and months I  was wondering about Tim's  situation.  Very, very  sad.

My sincere condolences, late as they are to Glo and family.  RIP Tim,  see you on the other side.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
MrsDERB

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2011, 08:29:36 AM »

Thank you, everyone. Smiley Cry
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »

I miss the sound of Derb's station rolling into New England during those early evening sessions around 3.730. I think the last time I worked Timmy was just over 2 years ago back when he and Frank (Slab Bacon) got the Gonset amplifer back in operation. He was really happy to be back on the air with a strapping signal. I happened to record that one and posted it on YouTube back in November of 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2iJAEWyDQQ

At about the 1:12 mark the famous "monkey swing" plate current value is revealed by Derb. I don't recall a single QSO with Timmy that didn't have lots of laughs. He seemed to always be having fun and he shared it with all of us.

Hello to Mrs. Derb!

Rob W1AEX

* n3drb.jpg (42.56 KB, 652x467 - viewed 775 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »

Hmmmm........... that was me talking to him in the beginning of the video.
It was right after I got the Gonset amp up and running for him.

He was definately swingin the monky! !

Damn it!! I miss him  Cry

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2011, 12:17:59 AM »

He always brought really interesting and fun topics to this board. Its appropriate to recall this now, just after Thanksgiving, I (we) are thankful he was part of the AM hobby and all of this because he made it better.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2011, 08:44:55 AM »

Timmy was an "acquired taste" for many, but a lot of fun to hang out with.
With his rather abstract sense of humor he was always fun, especially in person. After knowing him for 20 years we had shared many good laughs.

Thanks to him and Steve, they were the ones who pulled me into this "AM thing"  Shocked  Grin  Grin

After all Timmy was the cause of my "Slab Bacon" monicre.

He is, was, and will always be severely missed! ! !

When I originally started this thread, I had just gotten the news from his wife, Gloria. I was really having a tough time pulling myself together enough to type it.

KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2011, 03:11:03 PM »

I never knew Tim or heard him on the air, but he was surely a special person to alot of folks.  No greater legacy can be left behind than to be remembered and spoken of so fondly as on this board.
  Rest in peace, Derb...you did not pass this way unnoticed.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »

How's Flo doing?  How are you doing if your reading this lately Flo?  Haven't heard since seeing you at Frank's.  I hope all is a well.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KD3NE
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »

Wow ......

I am way late to this thread and apologize to anyone if bringing this back up bothers them.

I have not been active on radio since back in 2008 so obviously I have missed way too much.

I only found this by searching call signs of friends from the past.

I knew Tim when he was living in the Baltimore area and we used to have a late night net on 2 meters.

He was a big presence on  2 Meters and later on 220 Mhz, and always expressed a passion for AM operations.

I loved his wit and humor and in those ways we were somewhat alike.

Even now when I get on two meters I think back on those days of the " LID Net " we would run on the 147.030 machine in Baltimore, without fail Tim was always there.

To see this thread lets me know he touched many many lives in a positive way.

Again, if bringing this up again is painful for anyone ..... please accept my most sincere apologies!

My belated condolences to his wife and family !!!!

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2012, 08:51:31 AM »

Wow! Thanks for posting up! I had no idea Tim was into 2M nets, the LID net! that's outrageous and exactly the kind of oddball-fun-sounding thing - it fits right into place.

This actually brightened my morning, made me think of his sense of humor.

You can use the search function on his 'handle' here, "N3DRB The Derb" if that's correct, to see what topics he started. His last project was a 250W Raytheon AM broadcast transmitter nicknamed "Uncle Ray".

Flo seems well, "Uncle Ray" has a new home.. but don't take my word for it. Many people here were much closer to The Derb and I know him only from his posts, maybe they can chime in.

Welcome and hang around a bit. There's lots of interesting stuff here.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA3VJB
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2012, 09:19:55 AM »

Your having posted is actually a way to help perpetuate the memory of The Derb.
Thanks for contributing !

It's also an occasion to take stock in the fact he's already been gone for a year.
That's amazing.

Please join us or at least come  back from time to time.  Any friend of Derb's is a friend of mine.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2012, 07:38:42 PM »

Sometime later, I was bestowed quite an honor by his wife, Gloria. As she presented me with a small box of his ashes. That box now resides proudly on the shelf in my radio room, and I have quite often heard signing as "this is KB3AHE with N3DRB ridin shotgun"

Many thanks to ALL that have chimed in! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015