The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:33:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHERE DO I FIND WORKING AM GEAR  (Read 18273 times)
AE1CT
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »

I GOT BIT BY THE AM BUG, AND ITS A NASTY BUG AT THAT.  NOW IM LOOKING FOR PLACES WERE I CAN FIND WORKING AM GEAR. I LIVE ON A FIXED INCOME AND I WAS TOLD TO GET STARTED I SHOULD CONCIDER BUYING THE RETRO 75 AM RADIO THAT SMALL WONDER LABS HAS. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? IM NOT LOOKING FOR ALOT OF POWER, 25 WATTS AT BEST, JUST ENOUGH TO BE HEARED AND MAYBE HAVE SOME FUN. IM GETTING TIRED OF SSB.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:07:33 AM »

Tell me about it!!  I'm damn near 70 years old and I still buy things that give me buyers remorse for about the first 24 hours.

I just purchased an ART-13 that I want to use in my car.  I'm Freaking NUTS  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  

25 watts on AM will not keep you in the games on 160/75 but will be ok on 40 meters. Better be thinking of at least 100 watts out if you want to be heard under most conditions.

73 & Good Luck.

Terry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:12:36 AM »

T,

2 12V batts and a dyno.......  that would be the nuts.

klc

What? Me worry?
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:19:04 AM »

T,

2 12V batts and a dyno.......  that would be the nuts.

klc

Yup, I just need to get a 24 volt alternator that will mount right where my AC pump on my 93 Saturn goes. Those dynamotors go for about 400 bucks on eBay so that means I need to find a free one!

KZ5A

Vikings Rule!

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »

If you are more inclined to vintage AM gear, a DX-60, an HQ-110, and a D-104 mic will set you back about the same $$ as the Retro 75 and produce a bit more power.

Another often overlooked gem for vintage AM is the Hallicrafters HT-37, it makes excellent quality AM, CW, and SSB, and can usually be found for minimal bucks.

Add an inexpensive Heath SB-200 to the HT-37 and you will have a nice solid 150 watts of carrier (~600 PEP) which will give you a good "presence" on AM.

73 Jack KZ5A

73 Jack KZ5A
W1IA

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »

I GOT BIT BY THE AM BUG, AND ITS A NASTY BUG AT THAT.  NOW IM LOOKING FOR PLACES WERE I CAN FIND WORKING AM GEAR. I LIVE ON A FIXED INCOME AND I WAS TOLD TO GET STARTED I SHOULD CONCIDER BUYING THE RETRO 75 AM RADIO THAT SMALL WONDER LABS HAS. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? IM NOT LOOKING FOR ALOT OF POWER, 25 WATTS AT BEST, JUST ENOUGH TO BE HEARED AND MAYBE HAVE SOME FUN. IM GETTING TIRED OF SSB.

Welcome to A.M. !! Life has now begun for you. I had the awakening many years ago and have never looked back. Grin This board is a good place to look. You may find a Ranger or perhaps a modified TS-440 that will fit the bill. If you are technical...take a look at classeradio.com. I do believe Steve has a complete class-H transmitter on a board. It all depends on what you are capable. If your not a builder the other option is a used Flex-1000 or if you have money the new Flex-5000 is an out of the box ready to go AM rig that sound fantastic.

Look for you on the bands....Good Luck! Wink

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »

Most older ssb radios are not hard to modify for decent AM transmit. Receive can be facilitated with a Softrock married to the I.F.

Many ways to skin a cat.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »

Gary,

I think Jack made a good suggestion about the HT-37. It is easy to find and with 30 minutes of mods you can have it sounding hi-fi.  Chris/W2JBL has the mods which involve bypassing the ssb filter and going directly into the balanced modulator.  Also axe W1MPY/Bill.  Then pick up a linear amp and you will sound as good and loud as any of the big guns on the band.   The HT-37 with mods is possibly one the most under-rated AM rigs on the band. You can find them at flea markets or even on eBay for $100-$150 depending on condix.  Heck, I've been thinking of getting one just to play around.

The other good approach, as Brentina suggested, is to build up a class E, H-modulator rig.  That is probably the best bang for the dollar and will put you into the high power bracket.

The Retro is a nice little QRP rig, but if you make it your first rig, you may get frustrated quickly due to the inability to be heard well when conditions get marginal. A QRP rig can easily be added later, after you have a higher power station running and get an official AM badge from the Tron -  Grin

T

* HT-37.jpg (162.19 KB, 504x314 - viewed 501 times.)

* HT-37- Inside.jpg (131.33 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 599 times.)

* flextron.jpg (94.71 KB, 800x600 - viewed 617 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »

Just about ANY SSB rig can make a good sounding AM xmitter.  I've converted a Heathkit HW-12 75 meter monobander, a HX-10 mobile SSB xmitter, and a SOB-400 xmitter.

Trick is you feed audio right to the balanced modulator (usually a cathode follower), and bypass the sideband filter.  You need to bypass BOTH ends of the filter, or it'll still sound like hell.  Slab KB3AHE did that with his Junkston Invader 2000.

In the case of the HW-12, removing the xtal filter rendered the receiver useless as it received the whole 75 meter band simultaneously without the filter.  It was good for about 30 watts or so carrier output, as was the SB-400.  The audio response in all of them was truly amazing, and they'll do any modulation level you want, but you had to ride herd on the carrier balance control or the carrier level would creep.

A great starter rig though is the Johnson Viking II.  Any old VFO will work with it, and they're true workhorses.  That was my first AM xmitter.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »

Viking II is a good rig to work on.
K3ZS

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »

I would look here in the for sale part.   Another good place is qth.com classifieds.    Look under HF Antique section.   Most sellers are hams and many prices are reasonable.   My personal opinion is to stay away from ebay, if a non-ham is selling and the seller claims ignorance of the product he is selling.   Local ham radio club newsletters sometimes have some vintage gear for sale.     Hamfests are another good source.

kg8lb
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »

Hard now days to find a DX 40, HQ 100 and a vfo for $109 each let alone all together ...the cost of a Retro 75 kit and case w/xtal control. $69 for just the TX/RX board kit. But whilst the Retro is probably a better receiver (where it is made to operate) than most entry level boatanhors it is still more a novelty . OK as a second or third operating position but not a desireable primary station. The HT-37 makes a decent low power transmitter as do many others. "Hi-Fi" audio is on option but not a mandate. You can also do quite well on 75 Meters with 25 to 50 watt carriers .That makes transmitters like the fine little Elmacs a consideration. Unlike most of the old novice oriented, low level modulated rigs , the Elmac has a VFO . The HT-37 has similar power and a VFO but weighs in at about three to four times the mass and a much larger package.
  The old Globe Scout series had nice audio, are reasonably priced but do require XTALs or an outboard VFO. Moving up the power scale a bit into the 100 watt class there is the DX-100 and Apache with built in VFO and 100 watt carrier. The similar power from a Viking 1 or 2 requires an outboard VFO or XTALs but gets you a rugged, transmitter built from high quality components. If you are lucky enough to find a good B&W 5100 you can score a great 100 watt rig !

Just about any Hammarlund receiver from the post war era is a lot of RX for the current market price. There are plenty of competent receivers from the other major makers as well.
As mentioned ,there are plenty of rice boxer type rigs that do fine on AM. Get something and use it !

BTW, When buying from QTH always check the current ebay price range for that item ! All too often, QTH sharks are asking way above ebay prices for less desireable pieces.
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 05:41:56 PM »

uhh, what equipment are you using now?

--- Post No Bills ---
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 06:10:20 PM »

Does the rice box you're using now include the AM mode?

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K7EK

ASA Lives!

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 11:39:24 PM »

You might want to consider the Multi-Elmac AF-67 and/or AF-68 transmitters. They run a single 6146 and put out about 40w of carrier, modulated by a pair of 5881's (6L6's). They are plentiful and cheap and work very well. I like them better than some of the other rigs because the power supply is outboard, and can be placed under the table or anywhere out of the way. The AF-6x series transmitters also have a very small footprint on the operating table. You can find them at various ham radio electronics flea markets, Ebay, etc.  The AF-6x series transmitters, paired up with a quality receiver, makes a vintage AM station that is hard to beat for the price. Just one more opinion  Grin.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK
N8AFT
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 02:24:28 AM »

I'm with Steve. Does your present rig do A.M.? My Icom 718 does well for 40 watts. You'll need to adjust the Mic gain down,also do not have the compressor on.Myself I run mic gain at "6" using Heil mic and w2ihy EQ. Sounds great and I'm on the air. Tubes rigs are great but not having one should be a non-issue.Get on the air om and enjoy..73, Lane kd8iic Smiley

73 from Lane. Columbus,Ohio.
K2PG

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 08:54:41 AM »

If there are any hamfests in your area, check them for vintage AM equipment. The Heathkit DX-100 and Johnson Viking series are excellent on AM and they run sufficient power for 75 and 160 meters. Some of the newer multimode rigs also sound quite good on AM, particularly the Flex Radios and the Yaesu FT-1000. If your existing rig has AM capability, set your carrier to no more than 25 watts, then "talk up" your audio until you start to see ALC action. Then back off the audio gain a bit to keep from driving the rig into ALC. A lot of guys run such rigs into amplifiers, but make sure your amplifier can tolerate the 100% duty cycle of AM.

If you are really into AM and want to "go big", you can often obtain an old tube-type broadcast transmitter for a song. A lot of AM broadcast stations in the 250, 500, or 1,000 watt class are retiring their older tube rigs and going to the smaller, more efficient solid state transmitters. Most of those transmitters can easily be converted to 160 meters if they were originally near the top of the broadcast band. Generally, AM broadcast transmitters rated below 5,000 watts run on 230 volt single phase power. You will also hear them on 75 and a few guys have even put them on 40, although not all of them can be converted to 40 meters without some extensive work. A retired broadcast transmitter got me back on AM in 1997, after a hiatus of some 25 years.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »

I read your qrz.com page.  So, you are a cw op.   Good deal.  Looks like you enjoy doing some building.  You will enjoy AM for you'll quickly have more stuff to restore, fix, and build than you have time for.   Grin

If you do have a rig with an AM option (I think your qrz.com page made mention of some kind of Elecraft box) you can go the AM exciter driving an amp route, but from my experience, you will eventually find that both boring and tedious.  Before you invest a lot in that scheme, you might be better off changing course and going in the direction of some kind of real AM rig, i.e. one designed with AM principally in mind like either a solid state class E tx, or one of the aforementioned tube plate modulated rigs.  Another good one is the Heathkit DX100. 

You can find all of these rigs at hamfests, here on this site occasionally, eBay, qth.com ( http://swap.qth.com/c_radioanq.php ) even eHam.net, Ted KC3OL's midwest AM forum (google it) and the classifieds in Electric Radio magazine (do yourself a favor and subscribe www.ermag.com).

You can use your transceiver as a receiver for now, if you get a dedicated AM transmitter, so there are a few minor matters to consider:  setting up a transmit receive switching relay, and a few good to have accessories.   

It is a great help to have a way to do some monitoring both off-air and visual.   Basically, you should get an oscilloscope if you don't already have one, so you can see your transmit carrier and modulation envelope.  so, keep an eye out for an old oscilloscope.   they are no longer an expensive exotic item--you can get a good one for under $100.   Another thing that's nice to have is some kind of receiver you can activate while transmitting, even a cheap portable sw broadcast receiver with a telescoping whip antenna, to hear your signal off the air.  this is useful for telling if your audio is distorted etc. and it is also a handy thing to have for tracking down noise sources. 

The old rigs usually require some kind of high impedance microphone.   That's another thing to look for at a hamfest.

The good news for you is that you are in New England, one of the AM hotbeds in the U.S.   I bet you can find everything I mentioned and AMers to help you at the hamfests in your neck of the woods.

Rob   

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
AE1CT
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 12:59:38 PM »

I DONT HAVE ANY AM GEAR AND THE ONLY RIG I HAVE IS MY TEN TEC SCOUT BUT THAT RUNS SSB. I HAD A GUY THAT WAS GOING TO TRADE ME MY SCOUT FOR A HEATH DX60B AND A HEATH VFO BUT HE BACKED OUT. I LIVE ON A FIXED INCOME AND I DONT WANT TO GO BROKE BUYING GEAR THATS GOING TO COST ME A FORTURE TO FIX OR MOD FOR AM. I WOULD LOVE TO GET A HEATH DX-100, I HAD ONE IN MY NOVICE DAYS USING A NATIONAL NC-125 RCVR. THAT WOULD BE A GREAT COMBINATION. IM GOING TO GO TO EVERY HAMFEST THAT I CAN GET TO AND LOOK AROUND. BUT FOR NOW I THINK IM GOING TO BUILD THE SML RETRO 75, 8 WATTS CAN BE FUN, BUT IM NOT GIVING UP ON AM.......IVE BEEN BITTEN BY THE AM FAIRY AND I LIKE IT. IF ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY OLD GEAR LAYING AROUND THAT YOU WANT TO PART WITH PLEASE LET ME KNOW...
AE1CT
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »

KG8IB IF YOU WANT TO DISPOSE OF SOME OF YOUR GEAR GIVE ME A PRICE WITH SHIPPING AND LETS TALK.....EMAIL ME AT....AE1CT@YAHOO.COM  
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »

Hey, we are not hard of hearing (at least most of us aren't) Cheesy but then
most of us here are not old time CW operators  using a CW MILL to copy
30+ WPM code...

What I'm trying to say is make use of the "Caps Lock" key above the left
"Shift" key on your keyboard.  Makes it easier on the ears Grin and blends with
the rest of the conversation...

Oh and by the way, glad you have seen the light...  When you do get AM
activated, come on down to 3733 and say HOLA....

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
WQ9E

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 03:18:05 PM »

KG8LB's Viking 1 would be a great starter rig if shipping isn't a killer.  It is simple and reliable.  The Elmac rigs are a little more complex and not quite as easy to repair given the compact (mobile oriented) size but are easy to ship and sound very good.  Unlike the Viking 1, it has a built in VFO but does require an external power supply.

You should be able to find something at a hamfest this summer.

Rodger WQ9E
AE1CT
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »

how much are you asking for the viking 1? what would shipping be to 06266, CT.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »

how much are you asking for the viking 1? what would shipping be to 06266, CT.

The questions usually go to the For sale or Trade area. There is a reason for it. Or a PM. I am not a moderator but experience has taught me to use the appropriate forum.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »

Elmacs have mod transformer problems, be sure its good if buying one.

If youre looking for Plug n Play and not do any work a Viking I or II is going to run $200-400 for one completely gone thru and then you still need a VFO which runs $50-100 or so. OTOH a DX-100 can be had for $150-200 ready to run.

I would not bother with anything under 100W unless you have an exceptional antenna; it can get very frustrating when you are ignored or get the "Sorry but I just cant pull you thru" report. OTOH, 20-25W into a linear will make plenty of noise.

I have several 20-30W out vintage rigs and a few SS riceboxes plus a decent antenna but I dont even bother trying them barefoot except maybe on 10-15M; otherwise they feed one of the linears here.

Carl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015