The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:04:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How big is your blocking capacitor?  (Read 28178 times)
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« on: May 19, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »

Hello all,

What value of blocking capacitor do you like to use between your final amp and the pi network output tank? I have seen schematics with everything from 250pf to 4000pf. I have the option to use either a really large broadcast type 500pf@10kv or to use parallel type 850 doorknobs 500pf/5kv each (I have six of these I think).

Here are my operating parameters:
1. Bands - 160-80-40
2. Mode - high level plate modulation
3. Eb - 2000V
4. Ib - 250mA

Ron W8ACR

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 05:51:18 PM »

Hi Ron,

The coupling cap value requirement will be dependant on the plate impedance, of course. The lower the plate impedance, the bigger value the cap needs to be to keep RF voltage drop to a minimum at a particular frequency. Here's what I have used over the years:

For a standard 1500W+ linear amp for 160-10M, I have used .001 uf at 10KV.  Same for the plate bypass cap. Even .002 uf will work FB.  Whatever you have in high quality caps is usually OK.

However, for a plate modulated rig, we want to keep these two values to a minimum because the modulator audio highs can get shunted to ground thru either the plate bypass cap or the coupling cap. (thru the pi network)  These two undesirable audio paths are in parallel, shunting the audio, so be aware if your highs are down or you detect excessive audio phase shift on the modulated RF carrier..

So for plate modulating a 4-1000A rig, or any big AM rig, I use 500pf for both the plate bypass and plate coupling cap.  Offhand, this may not seem like enough for 160M, but it does the job FB and extreme audio highs see very little phase shift as a result.

In your case, with an 8K plate impedance,  500 pf at 1.885 mhz is about 168 ohms of (Xc) cap reactance. That is only about 2% of the plate impedance, so insignificant, which is FB.

BTW, what new creation are you building?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »

5000 volts a bit light. Heck a Viking 2 uses an 850.
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:27:33 PM »

Well Tom, as you know, I built this 254W rig, and have had it on the air enough times to be very happy with its performance. Since it was my first serious attempt at building something big, I purposefully kept it simple by keeping it a single band 160 meter rig. But to be able to talk to you guys on the east coast, I'm gonna need 75 and 40 meter capability. I've gone through about a hundred possibilities in my brain, but the only thing that really is practical is to modify the 254 rf deck to cover 160-75-40. So that is what I'm up to. I've got the grid circuit working on all three bands, but now I have to do the plate tank. I have this nice 500pf/10kv capacitor that I wanted to use, but wasn't sure it had enough capacitance, especially on 160. Hence my question. Once I'm done with this project, I'm gonna build a good old fashioned push pull transmitter using 35TG's. I've got B&W TVL coils for 160-10. It will probably run about 250watts. Too bad the 254W rig worked so well, now I've got the bug. Wink

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:04:21 PM »

On the 4-1000 it is 2500pF/30KV made of 5 doorknobs.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:47 AM »

At 2KV plate voltage, 5KV is just making it, too light for me.  In my 813 rig at 1500V plate, I use two 510pfd 18KV doorknobs in parallel. I use two plate chokes in series, each bypassed with one 510pfd 18KV.  I don't see any problems at the higher audio freqs.

Even for the plate-choke bypass caps I think 5KV is not near enough.  Think about it, at 2KV Eb with plate modulation, at 100% modulation, the plate voltage hits 4KV.  Get some above-100% spikes and say bye bye to the 5KV caps.

In my 6146 rig at 650V Eb, I use a .001 6kv plate bypass cap and a 500pfd 10KV coupling doorknob.

Fred
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »

If you want 160 and use electrolytics you may have to sacrifice a few highs if the plate choke doesnt have enough L. Another option is to add a big fat .0047 or .01 down at the PS to bypass any stray RF. Or use 2 chokes, each bypassed with 500pf.

One way around all of this is to buy an Ameritron 225uH choke o one of those old multi pi 1mH Nationals if just sticking to 160-40.

I wonder what happens to the audio waveform when there is RF on the mod iron or reactor which then travels back up thru the plate choke?

I use a pair of 1000pf @ 7.5KV in parallel in the linear for plate blocking (the amp is used a lot on 160) and roughly the same value in the Class C amps but using hockey pucks which seem to come in oddball values. Audio reports have all been good 160-10M and waveforms meet "spec".
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 12:08:42 PM »

Cool on the rig plans, Ron. Sounds like you're taking the right approach with the 10KV caps.

Yes, it pays to use caps that are several times the working voltage. I regularly use 10-15kv on most amps and would never go below 10kv for a 1 KW plate modulated rig or big linear amp. Again, it's a different world for linears where there is no X2/X3 modulating peak plate voltage to contend with.

Audio frequencies:   "Normal"  AM audio below 5kc is usuallly not affected by 500 -1000pf caps much. But lets take a few examples of extremes...

At 15khz, a 2000pf cap Xc is about 5.3K ohms.  In a normal plate circuit, this is significant, especially if a .002 is used for BOTH the plate bypass and plate coupling caps, since they are in parallel to the audio path. (The pi-net is in series with the plate coupling, so it will always be less that the coupling cap there.)
In this case at 15kc, the Xc could be as low as 3K.  This will produce some phase shift and highs attenuation depending upon plate impdeance.

At 5kc, this becomes about 9K of Xc shunting the modulator.

For example, even though we may use only 4-5kc of audio , the transmitter should sweep cleanly without phase distortion up into the ~8kc range  to keep the 4-5kc audio pristine.  Desired  audio bandwidth is a matter of opinion, but you get the idea...  Just scale up or down these ideas to apply it to your own situation.

Here is a good Xc calculator to use:
http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/calc/reactance-calculator.php

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »

It doesnt quite work that way Tom, there is the matter of the plate choke between them. If its reactance is high enough the caps will not "see" each other. If it is way low as in many commercial amps the choke becomes part of the output tank on 160 and sometimes 80.

Even if the choke was electrically invisible the 2 caps are in parallel but the blocking cap is in series with the Tune cap so its total will be somewhat less than C Tune. On 80M this would be somewhere around 250pf in parallel with the choke bypass.

The Collins KW-1 uses 1000pf for both caps but I dont know its audio specs. The Hallicrafters HT-20 has a .0047 bypass and a .002 blocking yet responds well to opening up the audio. The choke is 4.3 MH!

Carl
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 04:05:27 PM »

Sure it works that way, Carl…  Wink  Let’s take your points one at a time…

It doesnt quite work that way Tom, there is the matter of the plate choke between them. If its reactance is high enough the caps will not "see" each other. If it is way low as in many commercial amps the choke becomes part of the output tank on 160 and sometimes 80.

A standard plate choke is almost a "short wire" at 5khz and close to that at 15khz audio. At 15khz, a 1Mh choke is 94 ohms.  At 5khz it’s 31 ohms. That is not enuff XL to isolate the two caps at audio frequencies in a plate modulated tube rig.  The choke HAS to be low XL at audio or the audio highs would have trouble getting to the tube plate for modulation without dropping across the choke.

Even if the choke was electrically invisible the 2 caps are in parallel but the blocking cap is in series with the Tune cap so its total will be somewhat less than C Tune. On 80M this would be somewhere around 250pf in parallel with the choke bypass.

Agreed. As I said in my previous post, the tank circuit is in series with the coupling cap so the shunt at that point will always be less than the coupling cap. Yes, these two circuits are in parallel as I mentioned.   I was talking about 160M as a worst case scenario.

The Collins KW-1 uses 1000pf for both caps but I dont know its audio specs. The Hallicrafters HT-20 has a .0047 bypass and a .002 blocking yet responds well to opening up the audio. The choke is 4.3 MH!

Those rigs are probably designed for 3kc audio so can get away with those higher cap values. Even so, at .0047, I’ll bet there is some serious audio phase shift going on.

BTW, a 4.3 MH choke is very high for most big rigs, but even a 4.3mh choke is only  135 ohms at 5khz.   I still feel 500pf for both caps is a good ballpark if we are striving for the best hi-fi audio we can get using a plate modulated rig.

All of this does not apply to linears, screen modulated rigs or rigs in the “Apache” class using stock, restricted audio.

T

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 05:38:37 PM »

I lost a decimal place again Tom Shocked

How much Xc are you aiming for?

Yes the HT-20 is 3kc but the ones Ive heard with opened audio sound just fine. I dont care about hi-fi, 5kc is plenty.

A linear sure does offer some benefits, a modified LK-800 will run 800-1000W carrier and not break a sweat and is a small desktop package. The xfmr sits in its own small box on the floor. Most Class C AM rigs will need an attenuator to drive it. Even my lowly LK-500ZC will run the so called 375W limit with no sweat, it has the optional external xfmr.
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 02:11:33 AM »

I worked on the RF deck today, and got it working on 75 and 40 meters. 400 watts of carrier. Should be able to work you easterners now (if the world doesn't end tomorrow). The modification involved putting in a new plate tank coil - a really BIG one that is easier to tap. Problem is, it has a bit less inductance than the old one and it changed the tuning settings on 160, but I think I got it working OK on 160 after a bit of tweaking. Tunes real nice on 75 and 40, a bit touchy on 160 now. Was able to use that big 500pf/10KV coupling cap. It neutralized successfully on 40 mtrs, I assume that the neutralization should hold for 75 and 160 as well.   

Will be out of town for the next week. Going to Marion, Indiana to watch my daughter participate in the NAIA national championship track meet. Will put the transmitter through its paces when I get back.

Ron

G3UUR

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 05:54:59 AM »

Ron,

While I agree with Tom in principle, I doubt whether you have any highs in your voice that need a bandwidth of 20kHz so I’d go with Carl’s suggestion and use 1000pF coupling and decoupling capacitors, particularly as the rig is touchy on 160m. That would give you a -3dB bandwidth defined by the total capacitance that’s around 10kHz, so you could still add another 1000pF decoupling capacitor, if required for better overall stability on 160m, and still have in excess of 6kHz modulation bandwidth.

For those who have a need in the future, I’ve attached a table of minimum recommended values for blocking capacitors on 1.9MHz. You’ll notice they’re dependent on power output and the supply voltage used. I haven’t mentioned capacitor current ratings because that’s very dependent on the value of the plate choke used. If inadequate inductance is used for the plate choke and its reactance canceled by the tuning capacitor, then the circulating current between that and the plate choke goes through the blocking capacitor and increases the rating required for that. It’s possible to predict the increase in current rating required for the coupling capacitor with reference to a particular value of choke inductance and plate load on each band, but requires yet another table. I wanted to keep this attachment down to 1 page, so didn’t include any mention of current ratings. I can try and produce a short document on the effect of plate choke inductance on the coupling capacitor current rating if there’s enough interest.

Dave.

Dave,G3UUR
Vintage AM from the East of England
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 09:29:57 AM »

Thats a nice chart for driver stages Dave Grin.

Would you please expand that a bit for real tubes? There are several on here using tubes with handles Huh

Thats the first time Ive ever seen that info short of having to calculate it, it should be a permanent part of the Tech Files.

Carl
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »

How much Xc are you aiming for?  

Hi Carl,

No particular XC values - I think most of us use caps based on what is available to us since they are rather rare and can be expensive. But for a big, hi-fi plate modulated rig, it is a compromise to keeping the shunt XC value high enuff to pass clean audio highs without phase shift but still low enuff to give 160M RF a near-short path.

But as Bruce has said in the past, the XC/XL audio modulation path is very complex indeed and the final tube and associated circuitry add variables to all this too. The modulation xfmr, Heising reactor, Heising cap, etc, all have their effects. It's to the point where plate modulation is really an antique method and not all that good compared to the newer modern solid state PDM methods. But we  love it just the same... :-)

Dave, thanks for the chart and coupling cap info. I could be wrong, but I think those values are tailored more for linears and other non-plate-modulated rigs. (Or 3kc plate modulated rigs) This is good, though, it all depends on how far we want to push the RF side and how far we want to juggle the audio purity at the extreme highs. It is a compromise with plate modulation. I have personally seen where 1500pf had an effect on my extreme highs using a 4-1000A plate modulated KW. It can be seen when the rig is swept above 5kc or so.  It's just a matter of testing our rigs to see what they do for phase shift at the highest audio freq we choose to make a limit.

That said, yes, 1000 pf or even 1500pf would probably pass as "good opinion" audio in a KW plate modulated rig. My intention was just to point out that some guys may run 5kc audio, but they want their rigs to be clean all the way up to 10kc, etc just as a buffer so that 5kc is truly not affected by the Xc audio phase shift.  If we see some audio problems related to this, at least we have a trobleshooting path to try - being aware of this potential.

I know Tim/Wa1HLR, one of our resident AM gurus, always told me to use 500pf and even 250pf for both caps if I could get away with it on 75M. Overkill yes, as the XC becomes upwards of 60K++ at 5kc...  Wink

Good discussion.

T

G3UUR

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »

Carl, we don’t know what real tubes are here in the UK. We think 813s are high power! If you want the chart to go higher in HV and power, I can do that. I had to guess how far to take it in the first place because I don’t have a very good idea of the range of tubes and HV you use over there. I thought I’d gone far enough, but obviously not. I’m not an amplifier expert, just an interested amateur who uses theory to make up for lack of test gear.

Tom, the chart is based on energy considerations and whether the plate current pulse is short and sweet (class C) or the full 180 degrees and lower in peak amplitude (single-ended linear) makes little difference to the change in voltage by the time you’re halfway through the plate current pulse. These charts will be pretty close for both linear and non-linear use because it’s the integrated energy to the halfway point that determines the drop-off in voltage swing and power. I agree that designing a power amplifier is a compromise and if you want an ultra-high audio response you’ve got to sacrifice some output power to do it. It’s a personal choice and I wouldn’t do it. I tend to go with nature and prefer to pre-emphasize my audio in the transmitter up to about 3.5 or 4kHz and then roll it off quickly. Then on receive the natural roll-off of old receivers makes the overall response sort of level. That way the HF noise to which the human ear is very sensitive doesn’t ruin the readability of the signal, even when it’s weak. I know you guys in New England prefer to widen the transmitter response at both ends and increase the response of your receivers as well. I disagree with that, but each to his own. You have the luxury of high power limits on AM and we don’t.

Dave.

Dave,G3UUR
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »

OK Dave -

Good on the chart accomodating class C.

Thinking more about it, I'll bet an addition to the chart that includes the audio phase shift at chosen audio frequencies for each capacitor would be helpful.  For example, maybe there is a 30 degree phase shift using a 1000 pf capacitor with a 6K load impedance at 7kc. That wud add a nice feature for plate modulated rig designers. These numbers choices would be subjective -we would have to decide what is a meaningful phase shift is and what audio frequencies to use.

When I built my WA1GFZ-designed MOSFET audio driver, Frank spent time choosing coupling caps that had less than 20 degrees phase shift down to the single digits degrees for the lows. The highs also looked great. Considering the mod iron adds it's own phase shift, keeping the coupling and bypass caps low is a good idea.  It's also a good thing that the audio negative feedback is not greatly affected by these caps since the pick-off point is usually before this. ** But in my case, I pick the audio NFB at the OUTPUT of the mod xfmr secondary. I think those caps could affect the NFB phase adversely.

Yes, I understand your feelings about wider audio in the UK and I tend to agree with you. There is nothing worse than hearing a report that our transmitter is tearing up another QSO...  Though, I also like a deep low end response, since it costs nothing in bandwidth.    Personally, I have two AM transmitters (plate modulated 4-1000A and a 24 pill class E rig) that will easily sweep cleanly up to at least 8-10kc. However, I always run the audio tailored for between 3.5 -5kc, depending on how busy the band is. I use low level audio filtering and constanly keep an eye on the HPSDR spectrum analyzer to be sure I'm not beating up some AMer on a side channel. Running the cleanest audio and RF final (IMD) possible is my goal here.  Having a transmitter that will do X2 of the desired power will also help keep things cleaner.

Well, back outside for some more lawn mowing... Wink

T

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 04:04:07 PM »

Dave, Id think that expanding to 3000W and 5KV would do it for most and would cover the 4-1000A, 3CX3000A7, and YC-156 builders Shocked  Actually many hams I know are also MARS operators and they have no power limit.

Id also suspect many on here would be interested in hearing your views of the effect of the plate choke.

Carl
G3UUR

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 04:04:00 AM »

Carl,

I'll add 750W and 1kW to 3kW in 0.5kW steps. How low should I take the supply voltage at 3kW and what do you think the supply limits should be at the 750W level?

Predictions of what the coupling capacitor values should be are quite straightforward, but the plate choke inductance is a whole different story. It's hard to justify the way I treat it without a lengthy explanation, and that bores everyone to tears. The method works, though, and when my amplifiers are finished I know I couldn't have done any better if I'd spent ages cutting and trying different components. It saves a lot of time. The problem is how best to present it to other people. Obviously, a table would be more acceptable than a few equations, but the presentation needs to be well thought out to make it easy to use. I'm still thinking about the best way to do it, but I'm more than happy to discuss the role of the plate choke and the consequences of using too low a value while I'm deliberating how to present the information in a better form. You guys may be able to help me find a simpler way of presenting this stuff. 

Tom, the inclusion of phase shifts at different audio frequencies would add too much extra information to the table and might make it more difficult to follow. In addition, since the table is energy based, the impedance presented to the modulator at any power level and supply voltage could vary by over 20% just for class C. Most folks wouldn't be bothered about the phase shift anyway, unless it was high enough to change negative feedback into positive. My feelings are that the leakage inductance of the modulation transformer would change the phase shift significantly at the top end and make any predictions based on the load and capacitance alone pretty pointless.

Dave.

Dave,G3UUR
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »

I'll add 750W and 1kW to 3kW in 0.5kW steps. How low should I take the supply voltage at 3kW and what do you think the supply limits should be at the 750W level?

Thanks Dave. Id stick to the generally used voltages for common tubes which would be 1500-3500 for 750-1500W (4CX1000A/1500B, 572B, 813, 4-65/125/250/400, 3-500Z, 8877, 3CX800, and most vintage triodes and tetrodes/pentodes such as 100/250/304 TH/TL, 4E27A, 814, 4CX250 and family, HK 257 and load of others including the Ruskies.

The big bottles and tubes with handles in common use pretty much stop at 5-6KV and make the power with lots of current. There are always exceptions such as those playing with 10KV on a 4-1000A Huh

As far as the plate choke discussion Id just let it rip in the format youre comfortable with and let us mere mortals have at it with questions, etc. It would be nice to have the end result be a paper to put in the Tech Notes on here that covers the math for those who care and down to graphs for the basement tin knocker. I leaned the subject on the job from those who learned the same way, it was nothing taught in a military tech school or later in university.

Carl
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »

Dave,

You make a good point that the modulation iron would probably swamp out any choke bypass cap or coupling cap phase shift by a large degree.  Since it's cumulative, the best we can do is pick a minimum set of caps and hope our iron has minimum phase shift at the maximum audio freq we intend to use.

BTW, after installing the MOSFET audio driver, (transformerless) I was able to take my audio negative feedback from the mod xfmr SECONDARY back to the low level input without oscillation. This was about 8db of NFB. Evidently this is a tough task with more than one xfmr, but the SS driver makes it possible since the mod iron is the only xfmr in line.  Most schemes do it off one mod tube plate before the xfmr.

I've found audio NFB makes all the difference, thus my great interest in keeping phase shift to a minimum, in general.

Later -

T

W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 01:43:22 AM »

It is fun to start a thread, and then just sit back and soak up all the info contained in the comments. Although I am a professional person, my profession has nothing to do with electronics, and all my electronic knowledge, such as it is, is self taught. I have read a lot of old manuals, but I think I have learned more on this forum than anywhere else, and for that I thank all you guys. The discussion has raised a few questions in my mind. 1. What is the minimal plate choke inductance recommended for 160 meters? My guess would be about 200uH. I know that a B&W 800 is not recommended for 160 and I think it is either 90 or 100uH. 2. For a medium powered RF deck running 300-500W with plate voltages of 1500-2000V, is a pie wound or single layer plate choke preferred, or is either OK? 3. I have some Sprague 500pf@20KV "doorknob" capacitors but they are not ceramic. They have what looks like a molded plastic shell, and do not look as high quality as true ceramic doorknobs. Are these caps ok to use as coupling/blocking caps? Furthermore, although these caps are all marked 500pf, they actually measure from about 350-450pf. Does this suggest a fatal problem, or are these most likely OK to use?
Thanks, Ron

KA2DZT

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 02:24:42 AM »

I have (4) 650pfd doorknobs that all measured 510pfd.  All the ones you have measure low, probably just production tolerances.

All the doorknobs I've ever seen were all molded plastic shells.  These things were used in early TVs to filter the HV to the CRT.  Then some smart-ass figured out how to add conductive coatings to the shell of the CRT to act as the filter cap.  As a result, no more doorknobs in TVs.

Fred
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 04:25:09 AM »

Furthermore, although these caps are all marked 500pf, they actually measure from about 350-450pf. Does this suggest a fatal problem, or are these most likely OK to use?
Thanks, Ron

Ron, are you measuring them with a LCR bridge (such as a General Radio, HP, etc) or one of those Chinese "capacitor meters"?

The latter will give you incorrect information regarding the capacity if there is sufficient leakage and/or ESR.  The accurate way to measure a cap is with a proper bridge.

If a capacitor deviates significantly from its marked value, rest assured there's something wrong with it and it needs to go over the shoulder, not in a circuit where it can cause damage or loss of life (as in the case of a B+ blocking cap).

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
G3UUR

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 05:09:20 AM »

Carl,

I’ve attached a one-page addendum to the original document rather than enlarging Table 1 to include all the higher power tubes. It allowed me to add some comments which wouldn’t fit on the first single-sheet version. I hope this goes far enough to cover all the cases apart from the odd one you mentioned at 10kV.

Ron, the fact that you’re a professional man must mean you’re reasonably intelligent and can learn from doing things yourself. I like to read up on the background information and then do experiments to fill in the detail and sort out any misunderstandings I have about what I’ve read. I’m not professionally involved in anything any more because I retired last year at 60. Before that I was a university academic specializing in materials science. I tend to question everything I’m told, regardless of who tells me and how famous they are. I guess that’s partly to do with my scientific training. I think the power amplifier experts find me a pain in the ….. Anyway, be very wary of doorknob capacitors that are not specifically designed for RF service. Some are OK and others are very poor. It all depends on what RF current they can take. In RF amplifiers the voltage across coupling and decoupling capacitors tends to be reasonably constant and the dielectric loss is not as important as the effective series resistance (ESR). TV-type doorknob capacitors normally have too high an ESR for RF use, but some are OK as long as the RF current through them is not too high. You can use an existing transmitter to pump some current through these capacitors at low impedance to try them out and see how hot they get at a given RF current. Alternatively, you can try one in a transmitter and see if it explodes!

Now, Carl has suggested I just dive in and start discussing the plate choke, so here goes. This could get contentious! The conventional explanation put forward by the amplifier experts is that the plate choke is merely a means of isolating the plate from the HV supply so it can swing freely at RF. A typical example of what they think is given on W8JI’s website. He’s the only brave soul who has dared to say anything on the subject, and most of them ignore it and don’t explain anything about how you can calculate suitable values of coupling capacitor and plate choke. They just suggest typical values with no regard to variations in the supply voltage and power output of specific designs.

The suggestion that the plate feed choke (PFC) is purely there in a passive role has several technical issues as far as I’m concerned. We know that getting the whole plate current pulse into the tank is important to delivering all the available power to the load, yet in the parallel-fed arrangement we use these days the plate current has to be shared between PFC and the coupling capacitor, CC, when the tube conducts. We also know that the portion of the plate current going through CC to the tank drains charge from CC. This charge has to be made up before the next cycle, otherwise the voltage across CC will continue to drop and the tube won’t be able to drive the tank circuit to its full negative peak. We know it does! So, the other part of the plate current has to be delivered to the tank while the tube is off, and in the absence of any other active device to do it the plate choke must play a role in driving the tank and re-charging CC. We know that inductors can generate very high voltages to keep the current going through them at the same level, but the experts steadfastly refuse to accept that the choke has any part in driving the tank circuit. Why? As far as I can see it’s because they don’t actually have a clue how parallel-fed RF amplifiers really work! If you put a current transformer in the lead to CC you’ll find that the waveform of the current going into the tank has an almost flat top like a square wave during the positive-going half of the voltage swing if the choke inductance is large enough. This flat-topped part of the current comes from the DC supply and re-charges CC at the same time as topping up the tank circuit. In the negative-going half you can see the share of the plate current pulse that goes to the tank when the tube’s conducting. Its peak level is pretty much what you’d expect if you subtract the DC choke current from the plate current pulse. The waveform is essentially the same whether the RF amplifier is working in a linear or non-linear mode. It’s what the coupling capacitor current waveform has to be to meet the laws of physics that govern capacitors and inductors, and electrical laws such as Kirchhoff’s current summation requirement. It can’t be a sine wave, though it begins to look more and more like one if you use very low values of inductance for the plate choke because the circulating current between PFC and the tuning capacitor goes through CC.

That’s probably enough for the first round. I’ll see what reaction I get to this before going on to discuss the increase in current through CC as a result of low inductance in PFC. The HV decoupling capacitor also suffers increased RF current if PFC is too low in inductance because that’s part of the return path for the circulating current to the tuning capacitor, so I must not forget to include that as well.

Dave.

Dave,G3UUR
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015