The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:17:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m AM from Trenton, NJ  (Read 26313 times)
WA2ONK
Contributing

« on: April 17, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »

Any 2m operators out there? I've been getting on Sunday evenings from 8 to 9pm listening on 144.450mhz and also CQing.

Chuck..wa2onk
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:46:34 PM »

Any 2m operators out there? I've been getting on Sunday evenings from 8 to 9pm listening on 144.450mhz and also CQing.

Chuck..wa2onk

Hi Chuck. I will try and get on 144.450 on Sunday.  It will probably be closer to 9 PM when I get on.

I wonder if Joe N3IBX can get on as well.  He's also in the 'hood.

Sam (Red Bank)

--- Post No Bills ---
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:36:59 PM »

Hi Chuck,

I'm working weird hours right now. May hook up something from the work location......

Dave W2VW.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:42:51 PM »

Chuck..wa2onk

Hi Chuck. I will try and get on 144.450 on Sunday.  It will probably be closer to 9 PM when I get on.

I wonder if Joe N3IBX can get on as well.  He's also in the 'hood.

Sam (Red Bank)

Hello Sam, Chuck, Dave VW and others,
                                                   I'd be glad to get on 2M AM with you'ins. Perhaps we could get Pete, WA2CWA as well.

This coming Sunday is Easter, and I have some family commitments so I won't be on. The following Sunday or whenever I'd be glad to get on and hopefully be able to work you. My antenna is a omnidirectional horizontally polarized dual stacked halo, up at about 25' or so. I picked up a NIB Cushcraft 4 element yagi that I'm waiting to put up as well. The 4 element yagi doesn't have a lot of gain. but it'll be a improvement over my dual stacked halo - hi!

What polarization does everyone use? Cross polarization will result in a 18DB loss.

Sam,Chuck and others, let's see how many local people we can get interested in this. I think it'd be a lot of fun!

Mod-U-later,
Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:47:44 PM »

Hello Sam, Chuck, Dave VW and others,
                                                   I'd be glad to get on 2M AM with you'ins. Perhaps we could get Pete, WA2CWA as well.

This coming Sunday is Easter, and I have some family commitments so I won't be on. The following Sunday or whenever I'd be glad to get on and hopefully be able to work you. My antenna is a omnidirectional horizontally polarized dual stacked halo, up at about 25' or so. I picked up a NIB Cushcraft 4 element yagi that I'm waiting to put up as well. The 4 element yagi doesn't have a lot of gain. but it'll be a improvement over my dual stacked halo - hi!

What polarization does everyone use? Cross polarization will result in a 18DB loss.

Sam,Chuck and others, let's see how many local people we can get interested in this. I think it'd be a lot of fun!

Mod-U-later,
Joe Cro N3IBX

I'd probably be able to hear you and Chuck with the 17 element on a 31 foot boom beam pointed in your direction, but with its narrow beam width, I probably wouldn't hear Sam and Dave (running AM rigs and singing "You Got Me Hummin'" or "Hold On, I'm Comin'") unless I kept rotating it back and forth. Not a insurmountable obstacle.     "I Thank You"     "Soul Man"

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:41:48 AM »

Hello Pete and good to hear from you!
Yes, the possibility of you and I communicating over the long haul is slim, but if you remember, we did it before. Hopefully, we can do it again. I'd like to get my 4 element yagi up to try to reach you again. I beleieve there is about 50 air miles brtween us.  If all goes well, I'll have my Dentron Clipperton "V" on the aether running about 200W on AM. Lets all try to cooridinate a sked here.

It looks like we have enough people to get together on 2M AM. Let's see what we can all do to have some type of net going on. I volunteer to be thr NCS if necessary.

Dave, W2VW, can you still operate from your location in the Empire State Building in NYC  I remember having a few FBOM QSO's with you on FM Simplex with a full quieting signal. Perhaps we can get aome other guys interested as well.

Regards es N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:56:19 AM »

Hi Joe, Pete and Chuck.

Good point on not being able to work more than one direction with a high gain antenna. We are all horizontally polarized. Joe, you and Pete should be able to make 50 miles with only a dozen watts of AM. The Clipperton V is a real pile. Expect the tank to turn red hot. Max AM carrier would be about 125 watts with the wind behind you. I have one too.

I'm pretty sure Pete would have a hard time not hearing my from work even if I use a sig gen.

Dave W2VW.
WA2ONK
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »

Hello All,
  Just signed off with W2GEZ on 2AM. Mike is located in Princeton, NJ. He was using a Gonset IV, we also copied him when he was tried his Twoer. I also spoke to Mike last Sunday at around 8pm, we're going to try to make it a weekly thing on Sundays at around 8pm. So dust off your 2 AM stuff and give a listen on 144.450mhz or there abouts. If you're 10mi or more away, horizontal pol is a must..

Chuck...wa2onk
W4AAB

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »

I will be getting a Gonset Comm IV 2m AM trasceiver in June. I have a Gonset 903 converted to 8930 final(450-500 watts out). Maybe we can get some tropo going and work up that way.I had a friend who was a WA1 back in the '60's say he used to run 128 element collinear and kW input on 2m AM.I have crystal for 144.450.
                                           Joe W4AAB
                                           EM65lb
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 11:58:38 PM »

I have a Gonset 903 converted to 8930 final(450-500 watts out).
                                           Joe W4AAB
                                           EM65lb

Out of one tube, on AM, or PEP output?

W4AAB

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 12:01:01 PM »

That is on ssb with one tube. I won't try to get more than 200 watts out on AM. I don't think that I will be doing any "old buzzard" QSO's on 2m AM from here :-).
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 07:13:58 PM »

Anyone around this evening in Central Jersey, NYC, Long Island ?

144.450 AM

--- Post No Bills ---
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 03:08:32 PM »

144.450 AM

Flipped the Clegg 22'er on about 9 PM. Heard no one. Made several CQ's; dead air except for the packet racket down the band at 144.4. Flipped it off around 11 PM.

Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »

144.450 AM

Flipped the Clegg 22'er on about 9 PM. Heard no one. Made several CQ's; dead air except for the packet racket down the band at 144.4. Flipped it off around 11 PM.

I heard Chuck - ONK last night. He had some difficulty hearing me - I'm vertically polarized for now - Chucks horizontal.   My beam was pointed at Chuck so you would have been off of the side of it Pete.  At one point I did hear someone else calling down in the noise and I assumed it was Chuck but it may have been you.

I'll be monitoring this evening on 144.450 if you, Chuck, IBX or anyone else would like to try again.

Sam / KS2AM

--- Post No Bills ---
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »

Sam,Chuck, etc. ,
                       Last night I unfortunately couldn't get on the air, but will doso next Sunday, or whenever everyone wants to have another 2M AM sked. let me know when and where; though 144.450 seems to be as good of a place to operate as anywhere else.

(Hope To) Mod-U-Later,
                                Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »

Joe
How about DX to FN31?

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 09:31:08 PM »

i'm listening now on 144.450 if anyone is around ...

--- Post No Bills ---
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »

Joe
How about DX to FN31?

Carl,
What kind of antenna do you have? DX from FN31 to FN20nh is entirely posible, especially if I hookup the Zeuss/Interceptor B station. I have a possible 16 element yagi planned for 2M. It has a 20' boom, and should put out a FBOM signal in spite of my low height.

How have things been? Good to hear from you.

Very best regards,
Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

kb2fcv
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 11:34:38 PM »

I've got a 2m Gonset communicator II that I'd love to use more often. I've made 1 QSO with another ham in town. QTH here is New Providence, NJ.. 25 miles west of NYC. Can't seem to find anyone up in NNJ that wants to run 2m AM yet I see lots of people buying up the little communicators at hamfests around here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015