The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:50:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC OUT OF THE PIRATE BUSTING BUSINESS !!!  (Read 18440 times)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 12:07:33 PM »

The problem with that, Don, is that the stations are upgrading away from "iron based transmitters" and going to plug and play modules.

One module dies, nobody cares.  Replace it when you can get up there, it's ONLY dropping you 500-1000 watts.  Yank it, replace it, send it back to Continental or Harris or Huh.

As we started to say in the 80s, troubleshooting to the component level is a dead science.  You'd be AMAZED at the number of people who literally cannot comprehend the fact I can trace a circuit, replace a bad transistor, diode, etc. and make it work again...  "Why don't you just throw it away"?

The FCC 'delegating' enforcement to local municipalities started in the late 90s.  I had a write up on it when it STARTED on a now defunct website...  Tried to find it.

Constitutionality was tested and it was found that the FCC didn't have the authority to delegate it's powers, so to speak, to local enforcement officers.  There where reports of cops pulling over truckers and taking supposed illegal radios, amps, etc.  I had a driver write me an email about the cop taking his power mic...  According to the FECES, ANYTHING that alters the transmitted signal, and this officer took that to mean ANYTHING.  Costs you more to fight it than to replace the 'confiscated' gear.  This local governments enacting laws will prove to be interesting, to say the least.  I, for one, really don't want a cop coming after me because I have an antenna on my car (San Diego County Sheriff had a harassment campaign at one time of ANY CB antenna having car out after midnight.  I got pulled over, at 2:30, almost every night..  Pulled the Wilson mag mount off, never again.  Didn't seem to make ANY difference I'd be in uniform from my job to them.)

Besides, when you purchase a CB radio, the laws are now written that you HAVE obtained a license for that radio.  You agree to the laws and regulations by using said radio.  No, they don't issue call signs, but the paperwork in the new radios boxes state that you ARE a federally licensed station, and you accept this by utilizing the radio.  If you don't agree, return it.

--Shane
KD6VXI
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 01:00:30 PM »

This also gives agents authority to enter your home for a "station inspection" without a search warrant, just for having a CB radio physically located on the premises.  I just saw on the FeeCee's Nailed List the other day that some CBer was fined $7500 because he wouldn't let them in to inspect.

I never heard of anyone challenging this in court.  What if the inspectors made a mistake, and the illegal transmission coming from a densely populated area was not actually coming out of the house or apartment they suspected, and there wasn't even a  radio in the house.  Would that homeowner or tenant still be liable for not letting them in? Or to take paranoia to the next higher level, is it conceivable that fed agents, lacking probable cause for a search warrant, could CYA a forced entry on the basis of the suspected presence of a CB rig in the house, and claim they were conducting a station inspection?

The problem with that, Don, is that the stations are upgrading away from "iron based transmitters" and going to plug and play modules.

One module dies, nobody cares.  Replace it when you can get up there, it's ONLY dropping you 500-1000 watts.  Yank it, replace it, send it back to Continental or Harris or Huh.

As we started to say in the 80s, troubleshooting to the component level is a dead science.  You'd be AMAZED at the number of people who literally cannot comprehend the fact I can trace a circuit, replace a bad transistor, diode, etc. and make it work again...  "Why don't you just throw it away"?

There is other equipment in the station besides the new solid state digital transmitter.  What about the ATU unit, directional antenna phasor, feed line, tower, antenna bays, etc? I think this is the kind of RF technology that broadcasters are having a hard time finding engineerl/technicians to maintain. I could easily imagine an older station with a perfectly working vintage transmitter finally having to replace it not because they couldn't find parts for it or afford the power bill, but because their contract engineer retired or died, and they could no longer find anyone to keep it going.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K2PG

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »

The days of commissioners such as Nicholas Johnson (the one who was instrumental in yanking the license of WHDH-TV in Boston) are long gone.

What happened exactly? I vaguely remember hearing something about it.  Wasn't it some kind of corporate dispute involving networks and ownership, or were they actually caught doing something illegal over the air?

Two things killed WHDH-TV. One was an ex parte contact that an executive of the Boston Herald-Traveller newspaper (owner of WHDH-AM/FM) had with the chairman of the FCC in the early 1950s, in which the newspaper executive took the FCC chairman to lunch in an attempt to influence him, as several entities had applied for channel 5 in Boston. The other, which formed the basis of the 1969 FCC decision to grant the license to a competing company and the court decisions upholding the FCC decision, silencing the station on March 18, 1972, was concentration of media ownership. The same company owned a daily newspaper (the Herald-Traveller), a 50 kW AM station, an FM station, and a VHF TV station, all in the same city. Nicholas Johnson was an activist commissioner who sought to diversify media ownership in ruling against WHDH-TV. The competing applicant that won the channel, Boston Broadcasters, Inc., had no other media holdings in Boston or elsewhere. Their station, WCVB-TV, signed on as soon as WHDH-TV signed off. Of note in this case is that WHDH-TV had a clean record as far as programming and technical facilities are concerned. The station itself did nothing wrong. But an FCC commissioner who dedicated himself to social engineering killed the station.

The pendulum has since swung quite far in the other direction. Although it is still technically taboo for a daily newspaper to own a radio or television station in the same market, the FCC has been granting waivers of that rule and existing TV-newspaper or radio-newspaper combinations have been grandfathered.

Nowadays, some companies, such as Fox, actually have duopolies in some major markets. In New York, Fox owns WNYW and WWOR, both VHF stations prior to the forced DTV conversion.

As a footnote to the WHDH case, the loss of WHDH-TV killed a 125 year old newspaper in Boston. The Herald-Traveller folded several weeks after the TV station went dark. An excellent book chronicling the WHDH case is The Hundred Million Dollar Lunch by Sterling Quinlan. That book is probably out of print nowadays, but I was able to buy a copy recently on Amazon.com.
K2PG

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 01:53:33 PM »

Bud, the FCC (regardless of whatever they might pay), broadcasters and defense contractors around here simply can't find acceptable RF-qualified employees.

One defense contractor around here has perhaps 25-50 openings for RF engineers, techs, satellite and terrestrial antenna engineers, and more that they haven't been able to fill. The FCC recently had a field engineer job open in Seattle that they couldn't fill after months of searching.

One problem is that a lot of the engineering currucula, at least here in Pennsylvania, are geared toward computers and I.T. or electrical power and plant design, rather than RF. The other is that there are many of us who got our training informally, as I did, but who cannot afford to go to college for a formal degree. An average college tuition costs the same as a mortgage for an average house, resulting in a mountain of debt for new graduates. And there are companies out there (Greater Media seems to be an example) that won't hire technical people who do not have a degree, even if they can take a transmitter apart, find bad components, and put the transmitter back on the air. Never mind that the stuff taught in a lot of the colleges and universities is totally irrelevant to broadcast engineering and keeping stations on the air.
W4EWH

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 02:30:53 PM »

The pendulum has since swung quite far in the other direction.

IIRC, the FCC issued a public statement saying that it had made a serious error by revoking WHDH's license. Too little, too late, but the pendulum was well on it's way to the Reaganomics side at the time, and IMHO it has been stuck there ever since.

Bill, W1AC

Former Chief Engineer, KRUZ-FM
Former Asst. Chief Engineer, KDB-AM & FM

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »

One problem is that a lot of the engineering currucula, at least here in Pennsylvania, are geared toward computers and I.T. or electrical power and plant design, rather than RF. The other is that there are many of us who got our training informally, as I did, but who cannot afford to go to college for a formal degree. An average college tuition costs the same as a mortgage for an average house, resulting in a mountain of debt for new graduates. And there are companies out there (Greater Media seems to be an example) that won't hire technical people who do not have a degree, even if they can take a transmitter apart, find bad components, and put the transmitter back on the air. Never mind that the stuff taught in a lot of the colleges and universities is totally irrelevant to broadcast engineering and keeping stations on the air.

That's a whole can of worms in itself.  Higher education has become a money grabbing racket. Tuition and other costs are rising at probably double the rate of inflation, about on par with medical care. My daughter graduated cum laude with a bachelors degree (which took her 5 years because she got a double major, plus schedule conflicts made it impossible to take some required courses until the following year). She had a scholarship that paid some of the costs, plus the insurance settlement from her accident paid more, but she still owes a big debt on her student loan... and she attended a state university and paid in-state tuition.  Now that she has graduated, she is working as a waitress in Chattanooga, unable to find a job in her field of study, and is planning to attend a local community college for 1 1/2 years while working part time, to become certified as a massage therapist.  From what I hear, her situation is typical, probably hitting over 50% of recent graduates.

Back in my university days, almost any graduate could have had a job lined up and waiting for the day they graduated if they wished to go that route.  There were corporate job recruiters at the school every day trying to find students who would fill vacancies at their company. But now, having a bachelors degree doesn't mean a lot, and graduates are a dime a dozen.  The BS or BA is about as effective as a ham ticket for finding a job. University to-day is like yesterday's high school diploma. You almost have to have one to get any kind decent job or launch a career, but once you have a degree it doesn't guarantee anything. And tuition just keeps on rising.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 01:11:09 PM »

LOOK out for KRAP on 6955

just keeding

The VOA and Monitoring Times enjoyed it HA!
I'll upload the commentary from the VOA
Time warp around Christmas 1997
The AUDIO was originally taped from a SWL radio with a built-in mic.........the quality was not typical pirate radio slop bucket.
Running 1 KW A.M. into a 30 foot high UniHat vertical and 70 radials. I'm guessing this was monitored in California?

* KRAP on VOA.mp3 (1894.13 KB - downloaded 200 times.)

Fred KC4MOP
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »

It's a pity this license is no good any more.

* iraqi_radio_license.pdf (15.15 KB - downloaded 176 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »

This pirate never got busted.

* voc1.mp3 (4533.98 KB - downloaded 199 times.)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »

Let's Learn Vinconian! This pirate was also rather creative.

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/vorv/index.html
(a 'pirated' copy, as the real site is long gone)

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 11:39:30 PM »

No college education of any sort is meant to teach someone everything they know to be successful in their chosen field.  That's why doctors undergo years of internship and residency.  Professional Engineers must undergo years of apprenticeship under a licensed PE.  An English grad isn't automagically qualified to teach English.

A college education gives some proof to a future employer that the person has demonstrated understanding of the fundamentals of the field in question, can express him/herself in written and oral fashion, and has demonstrated work ethic in completing assignments on time etc.

My employer, in recruiting engineers, gives bonus points for candidates with a ham ticket or demonstrated interest in other technical hobbies such as car restoration, building model airplanes, private pilot, etc.  We put new hires (regardless of private industry or other experience) through almost a year of specialized training and 2-4 years of apprenticeship before turning them loose in their own shop.  Once there, they are expected to work independently, be the regional expert on a wide variety of systems, and manage people/money.  It's been our experience that new grads right out of college are just as successful (if not more) than new hires on their second or third engineering career.

It would be ridiculous for every EE program to mandate a course on broadcast engineering, etc.  AFAIK most EE programs include a communications theory course covering modulation, demodulation, etc.  I was taught vacuum tube theory circa 1985 and remember having to plot load lines in a final exam  Grin  It didn't qualify me by any means to be a broadcast engineer, but it gave me the fundamentals had I chosen to go that route - just as if I had chosen to work in digital design, power engineering, computer engineering, etc.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3LSN

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2011, 12:38:25 AM »

A college education gives some proof to a future employer that the person has demonstrated understanding of the fundamentals of the field in question, can express him/herself in written and oral fashion, and has demonstrated work ethic in completing assignments on time etc.

That's what high school did for millions of students in an earlier age before college education was commoditized. I agree with Don that a BA/BS is now considered the basic credential one is required to obtain for any job that pays a middle class wage. An argument can also be made that a AA/AS is today's equivalent of a high school diploma for entry level work. There is little reason for anyone to waste four years in HS when they can obtain a GED on their own time and get into the local community college to begin an AA/AS program.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2011, 01:00:45 AM »

Not sure your premise follows history, Jim, as it pertains to the engineering field.  I'm not aware of any high school curriculum that offered courses equivalent to a 4-year engineering degree back in the day. 

If you look at some of the ads in old 1950s CQ magazines etc Hughes, RCA, and IBM were recruiting *degreed* engineers and/or non-degreed technicians.  Of course there were guys working as engineers without degrees, but they most likely had years of experience before they made that jump and/or had special talents.  It would be hard to say that they received this experience and/or got a chance to develop these talents in high school.

In a broader sense, are college educations more universal for a middle class income because most employers demand that qualification, based upon more complex job requirements - and therefore colleges are meeting the demand amongst students/prospective employees?  Or is the supply of degreed prospective employees greater and employers can therefore be more selective during the hiring process?  Probably it's a mix of the two, but it's doubtful either case is entirely attributable to a "commoditization" of college education.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 11:50:21 AM »

No college education of any sort is meant to teach someone everything they know to be successful in their chosen field.  That's why doctors undergo years of internship and residency.  Professional Engineers must undergo years of apprenticeship under a licensed PE.  An English grad isn't automagically qualified to teach English.

The graduate may not see it that way. An MSEE colleague fresh out of college entered as technical marketing and left the company because of disappointment in not progressing rapidly to management. Young people right out of college seem to have very high expectations for rapid promotion but do not understand the facts of the real situation because they have not been working as an employee in real jobs. It's almost as if they feel they are on some kind of fast track. There does not seem to be anything taught in school to prepare such people for the long and difficult road to promotion.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 11:59:14 AM »

That's not been my experience with new grads, Pat.  We have a few that drop out for any number of reasons - usually involving a significant other or spouse - but I can't recall any leaving for lack of promotion opportunity.  Of course my employer promotes faster than most, and places substantial responsibility early in a career.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »

That MSEE had misguided expectations. Why would they think that they should advance quickly into management first without having any hands-on experience in the field, and second, zero management experience or education. The person had an MSEE not an MBA. Finally, this person should have studied the company to see just what the promotion prospects were. If the company was stable (little turn over) and not growing rapidly, then where would the open positions come from? You're right, they didn't think it through or were just plain clueless.

The graduate may not see it that way. An MSEE colleague fresh out of college entered as technical marketing and left the company because of disappointment in not progressing rapidly to management. Young people right out of college seem to have very high expectations for rapid promotion but do not understand the facts of the real situation because they have not been working as an employee in real jobs. It's almost as if they feel they are on some kind of fast track. There does not seem to be anything taught in school to prepare such people for the long and difficult road to promotion.
W3LSN

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2011, 11:45:20 PM »

Not sure your premise follows history, Jim, as it pertains to the engineering field.  I'm not aware of any high school curriculum that offered courses equivalent to a 4-year engineering degree back in the day.

In a broader sense, are college educations more universal for a middle class income because most employers demand that qualification, based upon more complex job requirements -

You're mixing apples and oranges, John.  I never said I was against higher education, just that college degrees have become commodities. Relatively few people went to college at all until the advent of the GI Bill and government subsidiised education loans. It was the federal government that began the commoditization  of higher ed when it began pumping government money into grants and loans. The net result has been an oversupply of degreed workers in areas such as the humanities, social sciences, and liberal arts, and many people in college who should never have been in college in the first place.  I also question the need for a BS in many fields, and see a need that trade schools, apprenticeships, and guilds or professional societies could fill better. I don't think that today's job requirements have gotten any more complex, there are just different fields of specialization available that didn't exist yesterday. I don't belittle the EE student who earned his BS or MS, and there is a need for that kind of education, but engineering and science majors make up a much smaller part of the overall picture.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »

This pirate never got busted.
The voice of the woman with hairy legs sounds very familiar............And the large room echo is pretty funny......definitely sounds like a Russian radio studio.

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »

The voice of the woman with hairy legs sounds very familiar...

I hope she was bare-legged or else wore those dark opaque things, not sheer nylons.  Grin

- - -
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015