The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:08:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to fix a computer  (Read 5260 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: April 19, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »

I liked this.  The Linux process has a lot to recommend it especially since I've already done a lot of it.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer
K1DEU
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »

Ubuntu 10.10 real affordable

So this appliance box came with Windoze 7   but ubuntu is more fun   and gives me the feeling I have money remaining for something silly like shelter, food and Transportation ! 
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »

After using linux for almost the last 5 months, I hate it when I have to use a windows computer. I run puppy linux on this netbook, it originally had windows xp on it, but one day decided it no longer had the desire to boot so i simply installed puppy off a live cd onto a flash drive, booted the computer uo, copied all the important stuff off and then reformatted the hard drive and later put puppy on the hard drive. I have version 5.2.5 as a full install on the hard drive but i normally use 5.1.1 which is on an SD card and runs a lot faster since it runs completely in RAM and also doesnt seem to use quite as much battery power as the hard drive install does. I've tried a few other distros, like slax, ubuntu, and a few others. i tried ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition i think it was, and didnt like it very much, i couldnt find the hard drive anywhere and it ran very slow, but that was also from running off a usb flash drive. the best part of puppy linux is the entire OS is only 128 MB and when running as a live cd, from a usb flash drive, or as a frugal install on a hrad drive, it can be very fast since the system is running in RAM. only as a full install (like how windows is installed) does it run fron the hard drive. i've tried one of the earlier puppy versions (2.17) and it was much different, not as many programs too. 5.1.1 is based on ubuntu lucid lynx binaries, according to what i read, and can run ubuntu programs too.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »

Yeah but I can't run Neverwinter Nights or World of Warcrack on a linux box.

AMI#1684
kb3nqd
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:39:56 PM »

World of Warcrack runs nearly flawlessly with a Codeweavers product called Crossover (I had a household member who was addicted but too cheap to install windows).  Two versions are available crossover and crossover games.  Download both for free here http://www.codeweavers.com and check out which works better for you.  They give you 30 days to evaluate their product and are disgustingly honest about what does and doesn't work.
kb3ouk

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:43:09 PM »

you might be able to if you had wine installed on the linux computer, it basically acts as a translator and converts what the windows program is asking into commands that the linux system understands. not everything made for windows will work under wine though.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 10:08:06 PM »

WINE seems to choke on more complex windows apps.

AMI#1684
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »

I liked this.  The Linux process has a lot to recommend it especially since I've already done a lot of it.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

I think the part of Linux (last step) should have read "Revert back to Windoze. By this time it is a better more robust OS. <har, har>"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »

Russia wants to move away from dependance on the USA and M$ WindoZE and one other country.............can't remember..........But they are going to Linux for their OS.

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/10/09/russia-goes-opensource-all-schools-running-linux-by-2009/

Some of the news

Fred KC4MOP
kb3ouk

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »

i read that somewhere else but not only is it linux, but also a distro that was developed by a russian company. the article i read if i remembered right said that was more of the reason for the switch.

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »

Yeah, I saw this in the May issue of Wired Mag...

Also the fact that other former USSR holdings, including Cuba, are
   using a locally generated versions of Linux...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015