The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:44:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here we go - get the pumps ready.  (Read 12364 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 05:27:49 PM »

Yaz and I took a ride down to the CT River today at about 3PM.  That was within a few hours of the peak at 19.4'.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=box&gage=hfdc3&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6

It was quite an experience. The river looked swollen. The current was strapping. The normal mud banks are about 20' high in the summer. Today the water was within inches of overflowing these natural boundaries. In other areas the flood plains were being used and the river was at least 1 mile wide in some places.

There was lots of debris flowing; ice, logs, plastic bottles, KW-1's... it was like a floatilla. The water was moving at about 8 mph. There is no way a person could paddle a boat upstream in that.

I put a stake marking the water line when I arrived and noticed it had creeped higher when I left.

We walked by our favorite sandbar that has an inlet leading to a cove in the summer. All you could see were tree branches with everything else submerged. It's amazing what a difference 20' in water height can make.

I read in the paper that the Housatonic River in CT had cars and sheds floating down it.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »

I went over the river just past 5:00. It is cranking but I have seen it higher.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:04 AM »

It can be a wild river in the spring, even with regular run off. I recall standing on the bridge going into Woodsville NH years ago and watching the brown water churning away below, nasty tan foam and all kinds of flotsam.

My late, great grandpappy used to run logs down that river many moon ago, long before the Moore dam and others. Ever wonder what it was like back in the pre-'Flood Control' days? An event like this one must've been a sight and then some.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 09:59:07 AM »

River even higher this morning but I have seen it about 5 feet higher. It will be interesting to see what happens with the rain coming. Rt159 drain well covered.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015