The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:40:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FrostFest?  (Read 10155 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: February 03, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »

Just wondering if anyone here will be attending the 'fest Saturday in Richmond. Last year was a washout due to the big snowstorm but the year prior was well-attended and had a lot of good stuff. I managed to peddle 3 heavy rigs then, going to try again this time.

If you're planning to attend, be sure to look up the Traveling Trio. W3JN, K4HX, and myself will be in the Henrico building, can't remember the table number right now but it begins with a 2. Just look for the table with lots of big radios and 3 guys that look like their planning a break out. And be sure to bring cash and a strong back.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:56:01 PM »

Looks like Richmond area is targeted for rain on Saturday. Here in the Northeast, we're targeted for what else, "a wintry mix".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 12:36:32 AM »

' Here in the Northeast, we're targeted for what else, "a wintry mix". '

Which is weather speak for " we don't know whats gointa happen, so were gonna do some CYA."

klc

What? Me worry?
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 02:39:23 AM »

I'm planning to go, having missed last year.  The Richmond hams are great hosts and I usually see lots of folks I know!   I've got a little over two hour drive.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:30:48 AM »

Since the event is in the big buildings at the speedway, the rain should really drive attendance up. What else ya gonna do on a crappy day unless the wife has you in tow?  Wink

Bill, be sure to stop by the table to say hello. Look for an Apache, a homebrew 4-1000 rig, and you'll be in the neighborhood. Maybe Phil and the gang from Winston-Salem will make it up too. The Chapel Hill gang will be there set up as well, Nick, JP and the rest.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:32:03 AM »

And there is a gun show in the adjacent building. What's not to like?
KC4VWU

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »

Hi guys. I'm planning to get started about 4:30 in the morning. I've got to call Greg and Mike to see if they're on for the trip! See ya'll there!

73, Phil
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »

It was great to see Phil and Mike at the fest. I didn't see very many other AMers. The fest was well attended and there was a nice selection of vintage gear and parts for sale.

Photos attached:

Crowd Shot
Another Crowd Shot
Clean KW Matchbox

* crowd1.jpg (177.92 KB, 900x522 - viewed 360 times.)

* crowd2.jpg (181.08 KB, 1024x499 - viewed 410 times.)

* mb.jpg (153.78 KB, 900x521 - viewed 335 times.)
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »

Some more equipment shots.

A couple of Hammarlunds
Drake B-Line
Drake C-Line

* hammarlunds.jpg (237.41 KB, 900x734 - viewed 342 times.)

* drakes1.jpg (165.47 KB, 454x700 - viewed 331 times.)

* drakes2.jpg (217.38 KB, 900x565 - viewed 343 times.)
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 02:46:43 PM »

RME 45
Several vintages pieces
Bathfitters? Of all places to try to sell showers! Maybe someone figured it was a ripe crowd.  Grin

* rme.jpg (176.34 KB, 682x700 - viewed 399 times.)

* stuff.jpg (219.62 KB, 900x675 - viewed 360 times.)

* bathfitter.jpg (139.38 KB, 586x700 - viewed 325 times.)
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »

Lots of tubes
More tubes
HPSDR (seems K1JJ got a GOOD deal on his)

* tubes.jpg (182.3 KB, 525x700 - viewed 354 times.)

* moretubes.jpg (216.99 KB, 900x675 - viewed 338 times.)

* hpsdr.jpg (139.42 KB, 900x701 - viewed 342 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »

Something about those Drakes -- clean and good looking 30 years later.

BathFitter.  I bet someone got a load of the typical HAM at these things and said, hey, I bet it's because they don't have a decent bathroom at home.

So, they brought a little reminder ...
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 06:21:44 PM »

Looks almost like Framingham or Marlboro, Ma - same stage, different actors.  But it's definately bigger.

Nice gear offered.  Steve, how much did the guy want for that Drake line with the L4-B linear? Pick up any parts for the new amp?

Glad youse guys had a good time.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 07:05:31 PM »

That place was always one of the better indoor hamfest venues. I often saw good stuff there. Is it still at the Mechanicville Convention Center?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »

The one crowd shot shows only one-half the building. There were two buildings of this size and part of a third was used for forums and VE testing.

I think the L-4B was priced at $950. I didn't check the prices on the other Drakes.

I missed a nice copper tubing coil by seconds.   Grin

Had a great time hanging out with JN and Todd from Friday night till about noon today.

Looks almost like Framingham or Marlboro, Ma - same stage, different actors.  But it's definately bigger.

Nice gear offered.  Steve, how much did the guy want for that Drake line with the L4-B linear? Pick up any parts for the new amp?

Glad youse guys had a good time.

T
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 10:55:24 AM »

It was a blast, to be sure. From arrival Friday until departure yesterday around noon, there wasn't a dull moment. Food was great, 'fest was great, and the company was of course, second to none.

Saw many familiar faces there including Phil 'VWU and Mike 'KQR who visited us at our tables for a while. Also ran into Nick K4NYW, JP K4OZY, and Howard W3HM among many others.

One of the more amusing moments was when a group of gentlemen stopped to look over the Apache TX-1 I was selling. One was talking on his cellphone while another was chatting with me. I asked him if he knew Gene WA4PGI and he replied "That's who he's talking to on the phone!". So I ended up on the cellphone talking with Gene who hadn't made the 'fest, and cutting him a deal on the Apache. It went to a very good home AND I didn't have to lift it again! Talk about a Win/Win situation!

Then, just to add to the amusement, after a long and well-lubricated dinner party at Steve's place, we eventually migrated down to his radio room where we found Don K4KYV talking with none other than WA4PGI. So I jumped in quickly to say hello to Gene only to find myself talking with my old Apache! Gene had already found the source of the background hum (a loose ground, apparently) and had it on the air. A perfect ending to the story.

For anyone who has thought about going to the Richmond Frost Fest, it's definitely a good one to attend. As Steve's pictures show, there is always a lot of good gear to be had, and prices seem more than reasonable on most of it. Johnny, Steve, and I all sold stuff, and I think we all bought at least one thing as well. I got a mic for $30, that was my big purchase of the 'fest.

Good times!

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 07:44:57 PM »

That place was always one of the better indoor hamfest venues. I often saw good stuff there. Is it still at the Mechanicville Convention Center?

No, it's at the Richmond Raceway.  It was at some horrible abandoned shopping mall called the "Showplace Arena" for years then they finally moved it several years ago to the racetrack.

The Showplace arena made the Hara Arena look like the Taj Mahal.

And I scored a SX-101 for 60 bux in nice shpae, and a HP 8640B sig gen for $40!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 08:58:37 PM »

Good score on the 8640B. Do you think it is usable or a hanger queen.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »

Has one fried output amp, other than that seems to be complete and working - there is a signal before the output amp.  Even the gears are good.

The hybrid substrate inside the output amp (a kind of big TO-3 arrangement) is loose - it's rattling....

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »

There was a QEX article years ago where you could saw the lid off the part and install a MMIC amp. I have a queen with bad gears and good amps.
I also have one of my 3 good units.that needs power supply work.
All my units have variable mod frequency. One has the doubler.
Still a great deal for $40. My best was $100 and all I needed to do was pull the regulator board out then reinstall it to get 5 volts working again.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »

Gonna saw the lid off and look inside.  Nothing to lose!

kf4qkr

Old Buzzard AM

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 01:41:40 PM »

Awsome fest. Picked up a HT37 for 50 bucks and it works! Another boat anchor where am I going to put it?

Mike
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 02:16:20 PM »

My sixty buck SX-101 works also, although all the switches need a good douching.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 03:13:06 AM »

My sixty buck SX-101 works also, although all the switches need a good douching.

You dog! ! ! ! ! !   Grin  Grin Shocked  Shocked

IIRC, I paid 250 for mine!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »

Johnny's find actually looks like it will clean up nicely. Appears to be well-preserved by nicotine build up. Otherwise complete with no visible hacks, even the big tuning knob was chip-free.

It's also a 101 MKIII, the last of the 160m versions before the 101A with converter position. A real score.

That Drake gear with the L4B was priced at $750 IIRC. It sold later, probably for considerably less. The L4B was still there at the end. At least two other sellers had decent Drake gear for sale too.

A whole lot different than last year's event!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015