The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:35:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking 11 paint  (Read 5173 times)
KE7KPB

« on: January 30, 2011, 09:40:06 AM »

I am getting ready to restore a viking 2 and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get the proper colors for the Viking.
It is truly wonderful to see people still keeping the old radios up and running. The new twist and go radios are fine but I still thing there is nothing that sounds a good as a tube rig.
Robert.

* shop1 004.JPG (1194.67 KB, 3598x1870 - viewed 450 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »

R,

Welcome a board.

Use the site's search feature and type in " Johnson Paint". Lots 'o info.

Again, welcome.

klc

What? Me worry?
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 08:40:23 PM »

Welcome...When you have completed your painting , please post your experience and details of the paint used, etc...Ithink it is a subject of great interest to the forum.....Thanks
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »

Welcome Robert and I also look forward to a posting of your results.

Viking II's always seem to look a bit worse for wear, I have a pair myself that are definitely blue collar.  Actually one is probably closer to ghetto Smiley 

But at least the front panel paint doesn't flake off like it does on the Valiant II.  I scanned the front panel on my best one and cleaned up the scan so I am ready to make decals.  But I won't be repainting until the weather is OK for some outside cleaning and drying.  With up to a foot of snow and below zero temperature forecast for midweek that will not be anytime soon!

Rodger WQ9E
K9PNP

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »

Viking II's always seem to look a bit worse for wear, I have a pair myself that are definitely blue collar.  Actually one is probably closer to ghetto Smiley 

You must be talking about my rig; the 'closer to ghetto'.

Robert:  Yours already looks better than mine.  Yes, please post an "after" pix.  Always good to see good work.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
WB6NVH

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 03:09:24 AM »

Is one requirement of ghetto that a World Radio Labs or ARRL decal be applied right on the front panel, back in the 1950's, and then later scratched off with a dull knife or a razor blade?  

Thanks a heap Leo Myerson and whoever it was at ARRL who dreamed up those decals.  And an honorable mention to the guy who came up with the MARS decals... Angry

Geoff Fors
Monterey, California
WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:06:02 AM »

My Drake 2-C came with an American flag stuck to the front panel.  Certainly much preferable to a N. Korean flag but I prefer no decals at all on my radio gear.

The worst panel I saw was on the parts Valiant that came with the good Valiant that got me started back into vintage radio in 1994.  In big letters, scratched in with a shaky hand, were the words " 'Dangger' high voltage".  Below it was a CB call.  The only phrase that needed to be added was "Danger, previous owner was a moron".

Rodger WQ9E
KE7KPB

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 08:00:28 AM »

LOL, Iam glad the 101 station was never a cb radio, if it was, it would have been destroyed. Anyway i was going through the bbs and fount that soneone had silk screened the front with all of the proper numbering and lettering. If I would send it in, what would it cost to have the frond done. Now the thing I am going to hate is rearanging the shack for the AM equipment. But It will be fun.
Oh BTW the guy who gave me this equipment also has the telatype that goes with set. What do you do wuth that?
WQ9E

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:49:37 AM »

Oh BTW the guy who gave me this equipment also has the telatype that goes with set. What do you do wuth that?

Develop some new mechanical skills Smiley  If it is an old time mechanical teletype it could be great fun if you like well made mechanical devices.  But it isn't terribly practical today.  It is used for RTTY (radio teletype) communication with similarly equipped stations.  There isn't too much RTTY activity anymore except for a couple of contests since there are so many other digital modes.

In any case, running RTTY with the Viking will require you to have a VFO modified for frequency shift keying and a vintage VFO is not so great for modes that require very little drift.

Rodger WQ9E
KE7KPB

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »

Thanks for the info on the teletype, I guess I will pick it up just for grins Smiley I did also pick up a Mon-Key to go with the rest of the equipment. It is all original, even with the resistance line cord. Is there a way I can get rid of the line cord and just go with a regular cord. Need to drop the voltage somehow. Would a resistor in line work?
WZ1M

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 06:37:47 PM »

My pink DX-100 had "CD" stickers on each side, HUGE ones.
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015