The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:14:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft K3 Build Under Way - Updated and Now Done!  (Read 19792 times)
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 02:27:57 AM »

I'd be willing to bet HPSDR type hardware lands in a K4 or K5
now that would be very cool, just add a monitor for wide screen

It may be sooner than you think... The K3 pretty much IS an SDR, and new features are being added with every firmware release. I saw recently that they added an AM synch detector, just for us AMers! (and swls...)

My thing is, I just can't get my arms around a completely software-defined box that relies on a computer to function. Perhaps if I were a hardcore corn-tester that spent all of my operating time in front of a computer, I'd feel different, but... I'm not.

Also, if you look at the back panel of the P3 Panadapter, there are labeled cutouts for a keyboard and external display, as well as some other stuff. Future goodness abounds. Perhaps a nice K3 dream-station would be a flat-panel display on the wall as your band scope, all run from that tiny rig.  Tongue

Bruce, we'll definitely set up a sched when I get things all ordered and put together. If you could, when you get an opportunity, I'd like to hear your impressions on the 250hz and 400hz 8-pole filters. I'm thinking that the 400 should be good as a general purpose CW filter, and you of course can narrow things down further with DSP, but I'd like to hear how the 200hz works in nasty, crowded conditions. And of course, is 200 too narrow for anything but those nasty conditions? I have no trouble with the K2 filters on CW, even the narrowest one, which is 200hz. I find the K2 on the 200hz filter very comfortable to use, just not too practical to tune around with...  Tongue

-Tim
n1eu

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 07:02:24 AM »

FWIW, I've got a bunch of K3 related info at http://n1eu.com

When I first got my K3, I got both the 2.7 and 2.8 filters.  I would say there's a very slight advantage to the 2.8Khz filters - slight wider/flatter passband but almost unnoticeable and questionable upgrade.  That being said, I do use the 2.8 filters and shelved the 2.7 filters.  But my ssb ragchewing receive and transmit uses the 6Khz filter anyway.

For cw, I have 500 and 200 5-pole filters and very happy with them - the 200hz filter is configured as 300hz and is my full time cw filter - sails through the toughest condx.  I'm thinking of pulling the 500hz filter.

I am disappointed in the narrow AM transmit passband (about 2.8Khz).  The ESSB transmit sounds much better than the AM transmit.  Perhaps a bunch of us can petition Elecraft to open up AM transmit passband to 4Khz (through 13Khz filter) like they did with ssb (through 6Khz filter).

I highly recommend the subrx - stereo diversity is addicting and a big help on the low bands using multiple receive antennas.

73, Barry N1EU
W1UJR
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 08:12:56 AM »

Tim - Hope to get some K3 time in this weekend. We've got a big snowstorm coming in today, which normally means radio time, but have a seminar in Boston and will be gone most of Sunday - my Retro 75 just arrived, so go figure, perfect radio week, with a revenue generating/work thing stuck smack in the middle of it!

I think you've got the general idea on the 400 filter and narrowing down, again the Elecraft reflector or N2BC have much more face time than I. I will say that on my other rigs, for copying CW, I really do like the most narrow filter I can get, removes all of those side distractions..suppose if I was a really skilled CW op it would not matter...

Barry - Thanks for the info and link, looks like good weekend reading, I've got a lot to learn about this rig.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that I could assign which filter is used on TX, I see that setting in the K3 utility, and assigned the 6KC filter to AM. How much of a project was the sub-band RX to install, looks like a bit of chore, and I wonder how much I'll use for casual rag chewing..not operating split..but I do like the simulated AFX feature, that's too cool!

-Bruce
n1eu

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 08:40:19 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that I could assign which filter is used on TX, I see that setting in the K3 utility, and assigned the 6KC filter to AM. How much of a project was the sub-band RX to install, looks like a bit of chore, and I wonder how much I'll use for casual rag chewing..not operating split..but I do like the simulated AFX feature, that's too cool!
TX filter assignment isn't really optional.  AM tx uses only 6Khz filter, ESSB tx uses only 6Khz filter, SSB tx uses only 2.7/2.8 filter, CW tx uses only 2.7/2.8 filter

The subrx install is quite straight forward and pretty quick project.  I use it all the time for casual rag chewing.  I'll typically listen in stereo with my tx antenna feeding the main rx thru R channel  and a Beverage feeding the sub rx thru L channel - works great 160M-20M.  Using stereo heapdhones, have a listen to:

http://n1eu.com/K3/75M_AM_9Nov08.wav
(vertical ant feedling left channel, Beverage feeding R channel, 6Khz BW, AGC off)

73, Barry N1EU
n1eu

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »

Update: I just heard that the K3 firmware may eventually be updated to provide wider tx audio passband (4KHz?) by allowing AM transmit through the 13Khz filter.  I believe this would make the K3 the only serious AM platform (i.e., >3KHz rx/tx audio, sync-AM) among modern off-the-shelf rigs, besides the Flex.

Barry
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015