The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:46:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Roll Top Desk Station  (Read 8218 times)
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« on: January 17, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »

Back a few years ago, I bought a "Computer" roll top deck on clearance. It is over sized, had lot of air vents, holes for wire, trap doors and slide out trays.  With the down sizing of computers, this was a boat anchor of a desk if I ever saw one.

While I  have been blessed with 2 radio friendly wives, this was my first time in setting up anything more then an HT in the main family area. I wanted it to be aesthetically pleasing and relatively modest.  I am very pleased with the results.

Receiver is a Collins 51J-4
Transmitter is a Viking Ranger Restored by Chuck K1TLI
The Mic is my Dad's (the original W1TAV) Turner 22 that I spoke my first transmitted words on some 49-50 years ago!
The Modern Radio is a Yaesu FT450AT

With a second BA station up and running, It's time to rework the old one and get some of the other BA gear I have been hording and put it in the operating position..  

* Rolltop Station.jpg (128.06 KB, 640x480 - viewed 884 times.)

Steve - W1TAV
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »

That's really nice work!

Wife and living room friendly too.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KD0HUX

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »

Passing the wife test is top of the list Grin Geat ideal 4 my 2nd station.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »

BEAUTIFUL!
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:09:53 PM »

Steve,
Great looking station!  I am lucky as well in that my wife is very ham radio friendly!  My main station has been up in our family room for hears at her request!  I use to operate from studio "A" downstairs, but she asked me one day why I did not put some gear upstairs in the family room!  After that comment, it was a very short time and the family room station was up and running.  I currently have a full legal limit station all arranged on a nice wooden desk.  Then again, that lady bought me a Johnson Desk KW a year ago for XMAS...
Enjoy your new station and I hope to work you soon with it.
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:38:07 PM »

Yes Joe, you are one fortunate guy in the XYL dept! Wink You and Johnny, whose wife got him a GPT-750. Jen recently mentioned bringing one of the transmitters into the house from the garage station since it's not heated out there. Problem is, there's just so little room in here and the transmitters are quite....space-specific? She's very tolerant and accepting of it all, for which I'm thankful.

Steve, that's a sweet looking set up inside the S roll. Hard to imagine getting a J-4 inside one and I might not have believed it if not for the photo. It certainly helps keep everything in harmony with the rest of the household, and close at hand for operating.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:04:42 PM »

Nothing like the glow of oak with the glow of tubes!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 01:33:44 PM »

Nice piece of furniture.
My STUFF is in the "Man Cave" and the wife doesn't see it. HA!

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1TAV
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »

Thanks for all the comments.   Smiley  I have the Man Cave Shack too.. It's going to get a makeover now I have suitable 2nd operating position..  It's good to have a supportive XYL.. My late wife sort of knew what to expect and over the years things just expanded. For my new bride, well she knew what she was getting into. The BA's were well.. not hidden!  I did remove the Collins S line from the dining room table shortly after we met...  And then there is the Cars, Trucks Tractors and Motorcycles...  Grin  - Steve

* House.jpg (172.54 KB, 640x480 - viewed 578 times.)

Steve - W1TAV
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »

Very nice desk!
Todd the KW1 needs to be around people move it into the living room..
Quick before she wakes up.
WA3VJB
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 03:45:51 PM »

... my new bride, well she knew what she was getting into. The BA's were well.. not hidden!

Always the secret to a happy marriage !
All the best to you / including the furniture.

Pam still likes to remind me how, during one of the first times she visited the house here when we were dating, she wondered why there was a big black garden hose running up the steps from the basement.

Clearly the coax from the Radio Room would no longer be strewn out to the guest bedroom and the 2nd station upstairs.

And we've been on upgrades ever since.
W1TAV
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 12:19:52 AM »

Yes, we went though the Coax and Ladder line coming out to the side of the house stage to, with my new XYL. What we all do do for love! .. For what it is worth,,, Today was the first day I really had the roll top station on the air. I have a life time association with Ham Radio. The Turner 22 was my Dad's. It was also the 1st Mic I ever transmitted though  when I was 2-3 years old. Also in 1974, I bought a Harvey Wells at a yard sale.. ($15)  My OM and I put it on the air on 75.. My 1st contact (my dad as control operator) was WA1HLR using the Turner 22... Well today My 1st contact with the Ranger (using the OM's Turner 22 )was WA1HLR! Good times... I'll be on 3.872 about 7:30 AM tomorrow from the "Desk"...  Thanks  for all the comments.. While not necessarily a dream come thorough, it is a project that means a lot to me... - Steve

Steve - W1TAV
W1UJR
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »

Steve, that is just beautiful!
Had to believe that all of that fits into a desk.
You've got all of cable routed out the back?
Very YL and company friendly, who'd know the secret!

Back when I was dating, never took anyone into the basement or barn until the hook was set, have to break into the radio thing gradually. Thankfully is very radio friendly, and like me to have a station in the house, so I ike your idea, would look nice in the study.
W1TAV
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »

Bruce,

The trick to the fit is, you need one of the roll top desks that was built at a computer desk back when the the cases where big and we used CRT's..   Lots of vent holes and doors for access..  Later today I'll get the scope mounted inside the false Drawer front and take a photo of what is hidden to make this into a full station..

I found this desk in a RI furniture store a couple of  years ago.. The owner seemed  relieved to have someone buy it..(it was the only one)  It looked like he had had it for more then a few years..  - Steve

* RTD Closed.jpg (1760.36 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 672 times.)

Steve - W1TAV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015