The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:38:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 AM Transmitter Rally proposed date and duration - PLEASE COMMENT!  (Read 15406 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »

As stated earlier, the Orlando Hamcation  (Biggest annual fest in the south) is scheduled for Feb 11-13.  So most of the folks from FL, GA, AL, etc, would have to choose between the AM rally or the fest.  Thus my vote is for Feb 5th - 6th.  

73, Rick W8KHK   alias W8K

Obviously, since that hamfest is in your area, there's some importance to you, but there are hamfests on February 5-6 in other parts of the country that are probably important to those AM'ers in that area. The decision probably should be made relative to other activities on the ham bands when choosing a date, rather then some group's outside activities.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 06:13:40 PM »

I would also like to suggest nailing down a date for the third annual 2012 AM Rally well in advance, so that it could be announced in ER, CQ, QST, etc.

I agree with this. 

ADIF is nothing more than XML.  But it would sound too simple and humdrum to call it that so they had to come up with more alphabet soup in the vast campaign to make everything as confusing and complex as possible.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »

Not quite. ADIF is a file format that is extensible and up until recently did not work with/include XML (I'm not sure if the actual decision to include XML has been made yet). XML is much broader as a set of rules for encoding text or makine document machine readable. It is used by tons of other formats/languages like RSS, Atom, MS Office, SOAP, etc.

I would also like to suggest nailing down a date for the third annual 2012 AM Rally well in advance, so that it could be announced in ER, CQ, QST, etc.

I agree with this. 

ADIF is nothing more than XML.  But it would sound too simple and humdrum to call it that so they had to come up with more alphabet soup in the vast campaign to make everything as confusing and complex as possible.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 11:47:04 PM »

Not quite. ADIF is a file format that is extensible and up until recently did not work with/include XML (I'm not sure if the actual decision to include XML has been made yet). XML is much broader as a set of rules for encoding text or makine document machine readable. It is used by tons of other formats/languages like RSS, Atom, MS Office, SOAP, etc.

I installed Aether logger on my mac and exported files from a dos logger in ADIF and opened them in pico and looked at them.  XML (eXtensible markup language).  Maybe XML has a "broader set of rules" so ADIF is a subset.  When I looked at it it looked like a duck, walked like a duck and quacked like a duck so it was a duck.    Wink

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »

It's all Greek to me!
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »

It's all Greek to me!

heh heh well it's all geek to me (groan)  Grin

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »

It's all Greek to me!

Find a Greek Taylor-hybrid interpreter and you will understand.... Grin

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 05:33:53 PM »

I still vote for the 5th-6th even though April would make for far better temps down here to be out in the unfinished radio room like Terry getting to his cabin. Unfortunately, it would also mean a lot more static to deal with. IIRC, last year's conditions were about perfect on that weekend, band was in nice shape after an afternoon crapout, and static was pretty much non-existent.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 10:05:41 PM »

Ok, we had good comments all the way around.

Let's go with Feb 5th and 6th.  Let's run it 6:00AM EST Saturday morning to 2:00AM EST Monday morning (really, Sunday night in other parts of the country), giving good time for the West coast to work the East coast both nights.

Sign up for those special event calls now!  Let's see if we can get the League to call again like they did last year!  Whomever is running AM Fone these days, can you possibly PM me - does AM Fone want to be a sponser again this year?  Sure is a great promotional thing for the site!

I have some dirt simple logging software that will upload logs directly to the server - no extra typing or emailing logs or anything like that (if you want to use it).  Good old .CSV or Excel files work fine, too.  Even if you work 10 stations, that's 10 stations.  The participation of so many AM stations last year is a nice statistic.  It would be great if we topped 1000 stations this year  Cheesy

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KC2UFU
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 10:39:23 PM »

My comment is any women (or girls) participating should be required to use a negative pitch shifter to make things fair.

Waaaaaah.

Hey!  I spent  19 hours in the seat!  It has nothing to do with voices!  Besides 1/2 of my contacts thought I was a man!  It's not my fault female hams are an endangered species.  You better watch or i'll recruit all the wives! LOL
K7EK

ASA Lives!

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 11:44:16 PM »

I'd like to see the event being longer on a single day, or better yet, expand it to two days. Some of us work overtime on the weekends (me  Grin) and otherwise would not be permitted to get much operating in.

Thanks for your continuing support for the AM mode. I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 11:58:42 PM »

Let's run it 6:00AM EST Saturday morning

Let us remember that the military net comes on at 5 AM Saturday morning and is usually done by 7 AM. They operate on 3.885 on AM.

Good time to pick up some contacts after there done.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KC2UFU
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 07:41:22 AM »

Wonder if we will have a solar flare like we did last year, mid-day.  One minute everyone's there, then....gone.  I think the entire AM population who were operating at the time were all running around with their hair on fire checking equipment.  I know I was!
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »

Wonder if we will have a solar flare like we did last year, mid-day.  One minute everyone's there, then....gone.  I think the entire AM population who were operating at the time were all running around with their hair on fire checking equipment.  I know I was!

Hopefully no flare this year!  The rally has been announced, by the way - here in this forum (the first post in the QSO section) and in the Announcements section.

There is also a web link to the announcement in HTML:

http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.htm

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 09:17:05 PM »

19 hours in the seat.....I can't resist....
You are lucky you didn't have a flare..up

You were a trooper last year
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »

Ok, we had good comments all the way around.

Let's go with Feb 5th and 6th.  Let's run it 6:00AM EST Saturday morning to 2:00AM EST Monday morning (really, Sunday night in other parts of the country), giving good time for the West coast to work the East coast both nights.

the form was easy to find.

There are fields to fill out, so the "Name of Event" is "2011 AM Transmitter Rally" ? looks like.

so it's done "Your request for K5D has been submitted to ARRL".

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 08:32:31 PM »

the form was easy to find.

There are fields to fill out, so the "Name of Event" is "2011 AM Transmitter Rally" ? looks like.

so it's done "Your request for K5D has been submitted to ARRL".

Sounds good!  Hopefully the band will be in excellent shape that weekend, and we might be able to communicate (via ham radio, that is!).  I should be W1E.  I applied for the call a few days ago, but haven't heard back yet.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015