The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:56:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waiting for Santa  (Read 3878 times)
WA3VJB
« on: December 24, 2010, 08:08:11 AM »

So our dogs have appointed themselves the official greeting party for all the Christmas deliveries we've been getting the past couple weeks from FedEx, UPS and the post office.

They've now taken up a roost at the top of the steps where they can look out the windows to either side of the front door. The truck backup alarm is their first heads-up, and when the delivery person taps on the door it's a full, noisy welcome.

The deliveries now are done.

We figure they are next waiting for Santa as the only authorized visitor to come through the door.

All the best to you and everyone at home ....

* WaitingForSanta.jpg (218.52 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 358 times.)
W5JBP
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 08:53:32 AM »

I love your dogs. I am a dog lover with a black lab which is now 13 years old. I do not know how I am going to deal with her death. I noted that they like to hang their paws over the step. Mine likes to do that too. Just getting too old to get up to the second floor.

Jim
W5JBP
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:56:47 AM »

Oh, my wife is hearing impaired and I tought Bear to bark when the mail man or UPS comes to the door.
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »

Oh sure, Jim, you can think you taught her to bark when the mail comes -- actually, as Labs go, I bet she figured out she was supposed to help your wife and decided to be the heads-up just like these guys.

You're right about what a big part in our lives they become.  Doctor says these two are helping ME stay fit with our afternoon hikes every day, about an hour's worth.  Here's a sunset shot from not long ago. Irresistible.

Best wishes to you Jim, good to hear from you.

Paul

I love your dogs. I am a dog lover with a black lab which is now 13 years old. I do not know how I am going to deal with her death. I noted that they like to hang their paws over the step. Mine likes to do that too. Just getting too old to get up to the second floor.

Jim

* IMG_4439'.jpg (210.48 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 370 times.)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »

I find myself a lot more bah-humbug about Xmas since I retired.  One of the greatest thrills I used to have from when I was a student all the way to the end of my working career was enjoying the few days off and the opportunities that offered.  I still look forward to the time with family, but the great consumer binge to keep the economy going that the holiday has become over the years has pretty much turned me off to it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »

Great photos Paul, some beautiful looking dogs you have there, thanks for sharing, love dogs as well, miss my old dog, she'd be 16 this year.
Labs for sure on the next dog, smart, fun, loyal, ideal companions.

I think the photo at the top of the stairs would make a great Christmas card next year.

My best to you and Pam for the holidays!

-Bruce
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »

Ha, a second one! Maybe they'll catch this guy.

* santa.jpg (44.81 KB, 459x600 - viewed 330 times.)
W5JBP
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 08:26:21 AM »

Yes, Labs are very smart and pick up on things very well. My youngest boy died Friday. Bear dected the sadness in the house and kept comming up and putting her head in my lap. It was as she knew and was trying to cheer me up.

Jim
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 06:40:19 AM »

I find myself a lot more bah-humbug about Xmas since I retired.  One of the greatest thrills I used to have from when I was a student all the way to the end of my working career was enjoying the few days off and the opportunities that offered.  I still look forward to the time with family, but the great consumer binge to keep the economy going that the holiday has become over the years has pretty much turned me off to it.

I used to like Christmas but as my parents aged, the xmas visit gradually became one of drama, tension, medical emergencies, and constant work caring for them.  As the years went by I'd find myself getting depressed around mid-November and staying that way until January.  Don't get me wrong, I love my parents but after 15 or so years of that even now that they are gone, it wrecked Christmas and I still don't care about it.  I imagine most everyone here has gone through something like this.  Now I think it is, or should be a spiritual day for adults and all the retail crap for kids (which will wind up in landfills in a few weeks or years).  It would be great in my opinion if everyone bought durable goods from Goodwill and flea markets but we are an economy now running on cheap junk from China so if we want less unemployment we all need to go out and buy crap at the Big Box.   Maybe some day we'll make more things here in America but not if Americans want to pay no more than $30 for a microwave oven. 

I used to send out greeting cards this time of year but quit the year my mom died.   Every year since then I think I need to get back to doing that and don't.  Maybe next week.  Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Detroit47

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »

I still love Christmas. I am thankful for all that we have. I have seen a few of my friends lose their houses in the current economy, but we still have a roof over our head. I lost my good paying job of 22 years at ThyssenKrupp due to downsizing. Now that Automotive has gone to hell, I probably will never make that kind of money again. But we have survived and have a close family. If it wasn’t for being able to do electronic repairs on the side I would be screwed so I am thankful for all that I have.  I would like to thank everyone on this board that has answered my question and been helpful.
God Bless you all
73 John N8QPC
KC2ZFA

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »

Ha, a second one! Maybe they'll catch this guy.

he never stood a chance to escape unnoticed !

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015